Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 10:53 AM

376 posts, read 1,059,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Sorry, but light rail only works for all income levels if it is subsidized. And where will you put the tracks? Eminent domain to wipe out peoples homes and businesses? Where will you park? Busses on the other hand can go most anywhere there is a demand, and if the demand changes only the routes need to be adjusted.
Buses can work on a limited basis - such as carpools to work - but you'll never convince middle class middle and upper income people to take a bus everywhere. Light rail is more appealing overall and why is subsidizing it initially off the table? Look at Los Angeles. A lot of sprawl and a lot of cars and people but they built a light rail system and it continues to expand. You've got to start now as it takes decades to build out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2016, 11:32 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,265,467 times
Quote:
Sorry, but light rail only works for all income levels if it is subsidized. And where will you put the tracks? Eminent domain to wipe out peoples homes and businesses? Where will you park? Busses on the other hand can go most anywhere there is a demand, and if the demand changes only the routes need to be adjusted.
Public transit systems rarely operate without government support, be it buses (your favorite), heavy rail, light rail, trolleys, whatever. Do any mass transit systems in the US make money or even break even? The New York City mass transit system loses money each and every year, if they can't make a profit no mass transit in the US can, yet people still support having it.

Here's How The Government Should Be Subsidizing Public Transit

Old 09-04-2016, 06:30 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,475,057 times
Much worse.

1. Traffic and aggressive drivers coming to the area
2. Overpaid transplants ruining the housing/rental options for long timers
3. Too many overpriced boutiques aimed at high paid transplants
4. Overcrowding/reassignment in schools

Unless the "growth is good" mentality ends, NC will become a super south branch of NY/NJ

Old 09-04-2016, 09:26 AM

183 posts, read 197,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
Much worse.

1. Traffic and aggressive drivers coming to the area
2. Overpaid transplants ruining the housing/rental options for long timers
3. Too many overpriced boutiques aimed at high paid transplants
4. Overcrowding/reassignment in schools

Unless the "growth is good" mentality ends, NC will become a super south branch of NY/NJ

Lmao. You forgot 5. Get off my lawn.

Old 09-04-2016, 11:11 AM

9,347 posts, read 13,980,872 times
I think CapitalBlvd is correct. It just depends on your perspective, your current circumstances, and your desire for change. You cannot deny there is more traffic, and along with that more aggressive driving. Rental prices are going up, and people on tight-budget incomes may have difficulty finding the extra dollars. Schools are often crowded before the new ones are built and kids are switching schools more than in other states. But the boutiques? It is always free to window shop, so not liking them is just sour grapes.

That said, growth IS good. It pays for new stuff and to replace old stuff that is decaying. The triangle is just getting a little too much too soon for those who have been long time residents, especially on fixed incomes. Making fun of them shows a narrow perspective. For younger workers, with their whole lives ahead of them, the Triangle is a smorgasbord of opportunities.

Old 09-04-2016, 11:23 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,760,366 times
Quote:
For younger workers, with their whole lives ahead of them, the Triangle is a smorgasbord of opportunities.
So ... it's not about them, it's all about ME

Old 09-04-2016, 11:40 AM

555 posts, read 497,421 times
It very much depends on your perspective and previous and current circumstances.

Growth is good, but too little effort put into infrastructure at the time of that growth results in a lot of lost opportunities (and cost savings) for improvements in quality of life later on. Sometimes I look at these housing developments being put into some of the outlying areas, off of little two-lane roads that never had to handle much traffic until recently, and I think -- what, not even a turning lane? They couldn't even designate enough space for a turning lane for the 1000-2000 (or more) people who will be driving this road and turning in here?? Are we really that short-sighted?

Anyway. I think it's probably a great quality of life for people with a decent amount of equity who are moving here to escape winter, urban landscapes, and high taxes, like NYC, Boston, and SanFran. It's also pretty good for young people looking for professional opportunities, who tend to be inherently more transient (they enjoy apartment life, living downtown, etc.). Things have even improved in that regard. But for people who do not move here with significant equity and who have families, or who are at the point of wanting to start a family, I think it has to be a struggle these days. We bought our house during the downturn -- I can't even imagine paying some of these real estate prices now and then having two kids in daycare on top of that. I used to say that, hey, you can always make do with a small starter home in those circumstances and grow from there, but it seems, with the huge drive to please high-equity transplants who want 3000+ sq ft and their granite countertops in a pool community, small homes are a rarity and therefore may not even be that affordable.

We turned a corner sometime recently. Quality of life, except for a specific incoming demographic, is slowly going downhill and I think it's going to get worse.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:39 AM

811 posts, read 826,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedLife View Post
I can't even imagine paying some of these real estate prices now and then having two kids in daycare on top of that. I used to say that, hey, you can always make do with a small starter home in those circumstances and grow from there, but it seems, with the huge drive to please high-equity transplants who want 3000+ sq ft and their granite countertops in a pool community, small homes are a rarity and therefore may not even be that affordable.

We turned a corner sometime recently. Quality of life, except for a specific incoming demographic, is slowly going downhill and I think it's going to get worse.
We have two preschoolers and daycare is a HUGE expense. This is a significant issue facing families across the nation. It might make more financial sense for one parent to stay home (could be dad)... unless they both have above average paying careers and/or rapid upward mobility within the organization or industry. The stress of rushing around for both parents to work and tend to the children and daily chores might not be worth a couple hundred extra per month take home.

If a person's idea of a starter home is brand new with the absolutely "best" schools then options are limited and affordability for young families does stink. However, if they are open to older homes with schools that are "good enough" then doors can open....literally.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:22 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,126,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedLife View Post
It very much depends on your perspective and previous and current circumstances.

Growth is good, but too little effort put into infrastructure at the time of that growth results in a lot of lost opportunities (and cost savings) for improvements in quality of life later on. Sometimes I look at these housing developments being put into some of the outlying areas, off of little two-lane roads that never had to handle much traffic until recently, and I think -- what, not even a turning lane? They couldn't even designate enough space for a turning lane for the 1000-2000 (or more) people who will be driving this road and turning in here?? Are we really that short-sighted?

Anyway. I think it's probably a great quality of life for people with a decent amount of equity who are moving here to escape winter, urban landscapes, and high taxes, like NYC, Boston, and SanFran. It's also pretty good for young people looking for professional opportunities, who tend to be inherently more transient (they enjoy apartment life, living downtown, etc.). Things have even improved in that regard. But for people who do not move here with significant equity and who have families, or who are at the point of wanting to start a family, I think it has to be a struggle these days. We bought our house during the downturn -- I can't even imagine paying some of these real estate prices now and then having two kids in daycare on top of that. I used to say that, hey, you can always make do with a small starter home in those circumstances and grow from there, but it seems, with the huge drive to please high-equity transplants who want 3000+ sq ft and their granite countertops in a pool community, small homes are a rarity and therefore may not even be that affordable.

I have been blasted more than once for making similar points. The QOL here has improved for some demographics, such as locals and transplants who are higher earners and/or have some sort of money to jump off with for a home purchase.

Also, it's pretty nice for kids and young adults who don't desire big city living and either live with parents or have roommates.

It's definitely declining for most everyone else. That is the demographic our friend, CapitalBlvd represents. And, while I often disagree with his delivery, it would be a mistake to entirely dismiss the core issue at the heart of his posts: affordability in the area has sharply declined and this is a hardship on many long-time residents of the Triangle.

Telling them all "too bad...move if you can't afford it" (while a move may be prudent) is very insensitive.

Old 09-05-2016, 10:43 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,222,306 times
I agree to an extent, but think it is flawed to paint the issues as a "high paid" transplant issue. It is an income issue - regardless of where the person is from. Not all transplants are high earners and not all locals have low wage jobs. There are plenty of high earning locals and many more being churned out of the NC University system each year.

Many of the COL issues raised on this thread are very real, but they are national issues - not limited to the Triangle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary