Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 11:35 AM

703 posts, read 780,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenguista View Post
... but those long time residents who don't like the changes can sell their homes at a price far above what it would have been worth if Raleigh did not develop like it has...
And thus might be the real reason for Saturnfan/CapitalBlvd's ongoing bitterness towards growth. He's admittedly not a homeowner (and strangely proud of it), so he never benefited from the significant home equity that most homeowners in his same age range have likely realized via the increased home values.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 11:50 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,772,563 times
I see comments that traffic has gotten horrible, but seriously, when was traffic not horrible? In the 30 years I've lived here, bad traffic has been the norm for an RTP commute, at least.

I remember being stuck on 40 for an hour many days trying to get from RTP to NC State as a co-op. I remember shooting all the way out to 70-to-Duraleigh or 55-to-64 just to avoid. And I remember the daily bumper-to-bumper grind on Davis Drive trying to get to the Cary Parkway area near the Y. This was in the 80s and 90s.

Oh, there'd be some relief when new lanes opened (or a new road like 540 was added), but those things always spur development and soon enough we were right back to bad traffic.

Old 09-07-2016, 11:52 AM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
I see comments that traffic has gotten horrible, but seriously, when was traffic not horrible? In the 30 years I've lived here, bad traffic has been the norm for an RTP commute, at least.

I remember being stuck on 40 for an hour many days trying to get from RTP to NC State as a co-op. I remember shooting all the way out to 70-to-Duraleigh or 55-to-64 just to avoid. And I remember the daily bumper-to-bumper grind on Davis Drive trying to get to the Cary Parkway area near the Y. This was in the 80s and 90s.

Oh, there'd be some relief when new lanes opened (or a new road like 540 was added), but those things always spur development and soon enough we were right back to bad traffic.
Agreed, the days of expecting free flow rush hour traffic in the Triangle is long gone. I just don't understand when people move here and live out in Clayton and work at RTP (unless you can work remotely) and then complain about traffic. Traffic should be expected - it's just a matter of how bad it is.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:39 PM

265 posts, read 270,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thr3stripe View Post
And thus might be the real reason for Saturnfan/CapitalBlvd's ongoing bitterness towards growth. He's admittedly not a homeowner (and strangely proud of it), so he never benefited from the significant home equity that most homeowners in his same age range have likely realized via the increased home values.
And this I completely understand and would be upset if in the same situation. But going back to unfortunate truth of no place is perfect for everybody. So we have to ask ourselves what is better for the largest group of people?

In my opinion, cities like Raleigh should be fighting for all the development they can, within reason of course. The development and progress has to go somewhere, so why not continue to develop these new sunbelt high growth regions? That is smart growth in itself to concentrate the development inside NC to the 2 largest metros. Now the City and State just needs to step up to the plate and invest in the infrastructure like they should instead of using a stop-gap approach.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:43 PM

Speaking of traffic, I too get annoyed at the people in my office complaining about their commutes from places like Apex, Wake Forest, and far North Raleigh to downtown. There's a reason why they bought the giant new house for a fraction of price of what it would be in Raleigh or Cary. You can't have it both ways.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:50 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenguista View Post
And this I completely understand and would be upset if in the same situation. But going back to unfortunate truth of no place is perfect for everybody. So we have to ask ourselves what is better for the largest group of people?

In my opinion, cities like Raleigh should be fighting for all the development they can, within reason of course. The development and progress has to go somewhere, so why not continue to develop these new sunbelt high growth regions? That is smart growth in itself to concentrate the development inside NC to the 2 largest metros. Now the City and State just needs to step up to the plate and invest in the infrastructure like they should instead of using a stop-gap approach.
I don't know if fighting for all the development they can is the right term - it has to be sustainable and smart development (not strip malls or the K-Mart on Western with the ugly unused parking lot). Raleigh should definitely be fighting for jobs if it doesn't want to be left behind like some rust belt cities.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I don't know if fighting for all the development they can is the right term - it has to be sustainable and smart development (not strip malls or the K-Mart on Western with the ugly unused parking lot). Raleigh should definitely be fighting for jobs if it doesn't want to be left behind like some rust belt cities.
Yes. I meant actual jobs and dense residential projects from the developers with the $$$, which opens up opportunities to justify the major infrastructure improvements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary