Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2016, 11:09 AM

2 posts, read 1,265 times

Advertisements

So I moved out of my apartment over a month ago and just received a letter from them that informed me I had to pay for a brand new couch to replace to one I had. I slept on this couch several times while I lived there but besides the cushions being a bit worn the couch was still in decent condition. I get that I maybe would have to pay for a new cushion but a whole new couch seems extreme to me. Also the reason I was sleeping on my couch in the first place was because my bed which was also provided was broken from the day I moved in and not completely fixed all year. I sent several requests to maintenance but they would come by and "couldn't tell what was wrong with it" even though one of the legs would literally fall over once you laid on it with any more than 250 lbs. Is there anything I can do to get out of this since this is their fault and also what would be the consequences of not paying the fee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 12:55 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,122,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenan1387 View Post
So I moved out of my apartment over a month ago and just received a letter from them that informed me I had to pay for a brand new couch to replace to one I had. I slept on this couch several times while I lived there but besides the cushions being a bit worn the couch was still in decent condition. I get that I maybe would have to pay for a new cushion but a whole new couch seems extreme to me. Also the reason I was sleeping on my couch in the first place was because my bed which was also provided was broken from the day I moved in and not completely fixed all year. I sent several requests to maintenance but they would come by and "couldn't tell what was wrong with it" even though one of the legs would literally fall over once you laid on it with any more than 250 lbs. Is there anything I can do to get out of this since this is their fault and also what would be the consequences of not paying the fee.
Do you have records of your attempts to get this fixed? Do they have records to show that they attempted to fix it?

You cannot usually just buy a single cushion for an entire couch. And, after living for no more than a year in an apartment (I assume you would not renew a lease where they were so bad at fixing problems?) I cannot imagine that even sleeping on a couch would require a replacement of a cushion or the whole couch.

If you damaged a couch cushion and the couch cannot be replaced, you will likely be responsible for the couch. I think it also depends on the age of the couch, though, what portion of the couch replacement charges would be yours.

I do not think, if they did try to fix your bed whenever you complained about it, this is "their fault," per se.

Also, how did it get ruined if you only slept on it "several times?"

That sounds like a problem beyond the wear that a night's sleep might cause.

If you just don't pay it, they'll file a collection and possibly a judgment, so don't ignore this.

Old 09-05-2016, 02:14 PM

2 posts, read 1,265 times
Well there were screws missing in my bed I would tell them about and they would just move screws from one part of the bed to another part of the bed and so I was literally sleeping on the couch pretty much all year long at least over 100 times the couch cushions were sewed into the couch and the edges were starting to become visibly worn even though it is very minor so that's the only thing I think there could have been. But still the apartment was furnished just seems to me like they want a new couch and want me to pay for it and are trying to use the minimal frays coming apart as an excuse to charge me where they would not be there if my bed was able to sleep on. I do have records of attempting to get it fixed but there would be weeks of no response from the maintenance and so I kinda just got used to the couch and made the best of my situation. It honestly just didn't seem like there was enough damage to require a completely new couch and it's been over a month since I moved out and my lease ended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Do you have records of your attempts to get this fixed? Do they have records to show that they attempted to fix it?

You cannot usually just buy a single cushion for an entire couch. And, after living for no more than a year in an apartment (I assume you would not renew a lease where they were so bad at fixing problems?) I cannot imagine that even sleeping on a couch would require a replacement of a cushion or the whole couch.

If you damaged a couch cushion and the couch cannot be replaced, you will likely be responsible for the couch. I think it also depends on the age of the couch, though, what portion of the couch replacement charges would be yours.

I do not think, if they did try to fix your bed whenever you complained about it, this is "their fault," per se.

Also, how did it get ruined if you only slept on it "several times?"

That sounds like a problem beyond the wear that a night's sleep might cause.

If you just don't pay it, they'll file a collection and possibly a judgment, so don't ignore this.

Old 09-05-2016, 05:42 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,122,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenan1387 View Post
Well there were screws missing in my bed I would tell them about and they would just move screws from one part of the bed to another part of the bed and so I was literally sleeping on the couch pretty much all year long at least over 100 times the couch cushions were sewed into the couch and the edges were starting to become visibly worn even though it is very minor so that's the only thing I think there could have been. But still the apartment was furnished just seems to me like they want a new couch and want me to pay for it and are trying to use the minimal frays coming apart as an excuse to charge me where they would not be there if my bed was able to sleep on. I do have records of attempting to get it fixed but there would be weeks of no response from the maintenance and so I kinda just got used to the couch and made the best of my situation. It honestly just didn't seem like there was enough damage to require a completely new couch and it's been over a month since I moved out and my lease ended.
Did you do a walk-through before you moved in and note that the couch wasn't it like-new condition before you rented the apartment?

Old 09-05-2016, 06:55 PM

22,640 posts, read 36,603,028 times
You went from sleeping on the couch a few times in your first post to sleeping on it over 100 times in the second.

Bottom line, if you have evidence to fight this, do so. Otherwise pay up, or it will go to collections.

PS - I challenge you to find one couch cushion to match an existing couch.

Old 09-06-2016, 03:30 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,474,866 times
I once had this issue in California with a furnished apartment.

The manager changed and the new one tried to bill us for ridiculous damages.

We wrote the collection company disputing the items one by one. It wound up that we were only charged for one small item which wasn't worth disputing even though we still knew it was invalid.

First send the dispute to the landlord and see if they will back off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary