Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 06:22 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,250,934 times

Advertisements

If you want to check on past Aprils, my favorite site is www.wunderground.com . You can put in Chapel Hill and go to "history" and see the exact weather in April for years back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 06:54 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,663,882 times
Another nod for April. Head north from Chapel Hill and visit Duke Gardens at that time.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:13 PM

Duke and Durham are more east, although slightly north and confusingly 15-501 North goes there. Duke Gardens is very nice. Hillsborough is really more north. It's a cute historic town and worth a look too.

You can visit the NC Botanical Gardens in Chapel Hill, too. A fave place of mine is the Arboretum on UNC's campus. Just anywhere on campus is lovely in the spring. McCorkle Place where the Old Well is has beautiful dogwoods and azaleas and brick walks lined with Kwanzan cherry trees going down toward Franklin Street near Morehead planetarium.

Nice video lovebrentwood!

Old 09-06-2016, 08:46 PM

6,335 posts, read 5,427,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Oh, I vote for April, maybe the first or second week. If you time it right you'll see the azaleas and dogwoods in bloom and they're just gorgeous. I think spring is really the best time of year in Chapel Hill. Love fall, too, but that is on best display in the mountains.

Looking back through pictures from last year, April 7th our dogwoods, azaleas and cherry trees were in bloom. Really stunning time of year here.
Generally speaking I prefer Fall to Spring...but I agree that Chapel Hill in particular is most beautiful in the spring; especially around campus. The blossoms around the Old Well are at their peak in mid-late April.

Old 09-07-2016, 05:12 AM

8,158 posts, read 10,884,125 times
I always liked the fall colors around Chapel Hill, but April or May? April

Old 09-07-2016, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Generally speaking I prefer Fall to Spring...but I agree that Chapel Hill in particular is most beautiful in the spring; especially around campus. The blossoms around the Old Well are at their peak in mid-late April.
Hmm, are you sure about mid-late April? I went back and looked through my pics. The Old Well is surrounded by dogwoods and azaleas and those were in bloom in my yard in Chapel Hill the first week of April last year. Some varieties of azaleas start up in late March. I can't remember about the Old Well in particular, though. Could be some late varieties of azalea planted there.

Old 09-07-2016, 06:24 AM

8,158 posts, read 10,884,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Could be some late varieties of azalea planted there.
"Late Bloomers" I had some at my other place that bloomed in September.

Old 09-07-2016, 06:36 AM

6,335 posts, read 5,427,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
"Late Bloomers" I had some at my other place that bloomed in September.
Yeah I think the old well has a lot of late bloomers; most likely intentionally so that they are still pretty decent for graduation weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary