Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 07:28 PM

2,110 posts, read 2,723,610 times

Advertisements

You should watch "Holmes Makes It Right". He deals with some terrible workmanship, bad contractors, etc. It makes me mad just watching how people get screwed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky1 View Post
The work done was rather shoddy and unprofessional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 08:20 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
I made this mistake also. I thought the contractor would be more hands on. He just did the shopping. He had little control over the crew. He would tell them what I wanted, and they would just do it their way.

I would shop more carefully if there were to be another time. But I plan to avoid putting any more additions on my house!

Old 09-08-2016, 05:49 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,582,084 times
A good general contractor would stop by to check in during the project if it goes on for many days. Ours have always showed up to get the guys going and dropped by every day or two to check in. When we paid ours it was 25% up front, 50% half way, then the rest when the job was done to our satisfaction. Any concerns we had were promptly addressed and fixed at no additional costs. Sounds like you had a bad GC in this case. I'd talk to him about your concerns and tell him to fix it. See if he does or not, if not you can possibly refuse to pay but discuss with an attorney before you do.

Old 09-08-2016, 05:53 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
Not picking on anyone, but there is no place for...I thought the contractor would...." It is your responsibility to know.

A project of any size or complexity for which you hire a contractor should include a "scope of work" and a "project plan". It doesn't have to be complex or designed by a Project Manager, but it should encompass everything you want done. These signed documents outline "who will do what, by when, and for what cost", and should include words such as "all work will be done to industry standards and will meet or exceed local or national building codes". This is your contract, and could be used in court for a breach of contract dispute. It's your money and your property...protect it.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 09-08-2016, 06:34 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,587,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
... a "scope of work" and a "project plan". ... it should encompass everything you want done. These signed documents outline "who will do what, by when, and for what cost", and should include words such as "all work will be done to industry standards and will meet or exceed local or national building codes". ....
This is entirely right.

Put as much detail as possible in the contract. When questions arise you both refer to the contract and do what it says. A detailed contract helps you and the contractor to remain friends, start to finish.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary