Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 01:28 PM

747 posts, read 1,238,418 times

Advertisements

Is there a law that when you hire a general contractor that either the work is done by the licensee or that he is on premise while the work is being performed?

I hired someone to do some work on my house, met him for 10 minutes the first day then young men did the work. He never came by. The work done was rather shoddy and unprofessional.

I have not paid him yet and will raise my concerns with him tomorrow. Just not sure if I want to pay in full but do not want to get into a lien issue.

Anyone else run into this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 01:33 PM

8,583 posts, read 15,952,953 times
I have just learned the hard way that it is one of the things to go over when hiring anyone for
home repairs or renovations...

Old 09-07-2016, 01:36 PM

1,694 posts, read 2,568,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky1 View Post
Is there a law that when you hire a general contractor that either the work is done by the licensee or that he is on premise while the work is being performed?
No.
Quote:
... young men did the work. ... The work done was rather shoddy and unprofessional.
This is related to the skill of the workers, not their age.
Quote:
I have not paid him yet ...
Some businesses assert "No payment until you are 100% satisfied" and their printed estimate says so. If you don't have that protection you must negotiate your way out of this mess. Good luck.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:48 PM

5,785 posts, read 6,833,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky1 View Post
Not sure about GCs, but some trades, such as electrical require that the work be done by someone who holds a license, or by those that are under the "direct supervision" of someone with a license. The latter can be liberally interpreted, such as when they are wiring up a bunch of new construction houses and only one guy has a license.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:03 PM

4,532 posts, read 6,222,811 times
see the definition of general contractor. If he did not perform as defined, you may have a point....was this your understanding of what a general contractor does ? or were you under the impression that he would be doing the actual work ?

Old 09-07-2016, 02:25 PM

22,617 posts, read 36,530,898 times
Lesson learned - ask who will be on the job site on a daily basis. Do NOT pay him in full until your jib is done to your satisfaction. This does not have to be in the contract. You don't pay for empty packages at the grocery store and you don't pay the bill at a restaurant before you've had your meal do you?

Old 09-07-2016, 02:27 PM

3,224 posts, read 3,510,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
see the definition of general contractor. If he did not perform as defined, you may have a point....was this your understanding of what a general contractor does ? or were you under the impression that he would be doing the actual work ?

This. One could argue a successful GC would never get his hands dirty, having a breadth of subs in his network who can complete the work at his direction. Whether the laborers are employed directly by his company or are subs to his company may have an impact on the quality of the work (or the ease in which he can get them out to fix sub-standard work).

OP, what exactly did you have done and what did they screw up?

Old 09-07-2016, 02:30 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,977,571 times
Yeah, isn't the very definition of a contractor, someone who subcontracts out all the labor??

Old 09-07-2016, 02:31 PM

2,839 posts, read 2,951,731 times
contractors are people who manage and contract the labour for you

i would expect he would appear for final inspection and if it sucks tell him to get the crew to fix

Old 09-07-2016, 03:22 PM

43,036 posts, read 76,548,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Yeah, isn't the very definition of a contractor, someone who subcontracts out all the labor??
No.
A contractor agrees with the buyer to produce a work product, whether the contractor performs all labor or uses other labor for some or all of the work.
A general contractor may do some of the work and have others do some through sub-contracts, or may have others do it all through sub-contracts.
Contractor and General contractor often may be legitimately used interchangeably.

For example, I can call myself a general contractor if I do carpentry and subcontract plumbing, electrical, HVAC to licensed tradespeople.
And, I don't need a GC license until the job cost reaches $30,000.

It is wise for the consumer to clarify who will do what, and other areas of concern, including any licenses and insurances, and who will supervise and at what level of onsite supervision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary