Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 11:31 AM

6,650 posts, read 5,552,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
Work from home here, so pretty much get to miss this circus. It would be interesting to check a travel app (i.e. Waze) and see how it assesses routing times on the various routes.

Interesting that it seems like the meters encourage sprawl ... you want to live further from work to miss the meters.

I can see it now during the Parade of Homes - "Live two minutes from the closest 540 entrance w/o ramp meters". "Quicker to RTP than living on Six Forks" ...

Frank
If the initial ramp meters work (or there's no political backlash haha), they'll install them at other interchanges in the area.

I'd be interested to see a study measuring the time it takes to gets onto the highway in addition to the 540 travel times - if the travel time savings are offset by the delays on the ramp or if the travel time savings are greater or less than the increased ramp delays.

Last edited by pierretong1991; 09-28-2017 at 11:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 11:47 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,059,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
If the initial ramp meters work (or there's no political backlash haha), they'll install them at other interchanges in the area.

I'd be interested to see a study measuring the time it takes to gets onto the highway in addition to the 540 travel times - if the travel time savings are offset by the delays on the ramp or if the travel time savings are greater or less than the increased ramp delays.
My bold - agree 100%, that's the key. I'm surprised DOT didn't tweet a "100 per cent increase in speed on 540 at ramp controlled entrances " ... cause when the previous average was 2mph, that wouldn't mean much.

Transit time a much better metric. But, as you say, not just on 540. They could close the entrances in North Raleigh and improve that metric.

Frank

Old 09-28-2017, 12:37 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,569,777 times
Pierre, that's what is killing us on Falls. And honestly - no improvement on 540 either from what I've seen. Granted I go in early and usually miss the true rush hour but still the usual slowdowns around six forks and leesville road exits as well as 70 and 40.

I guess we will see in a few weeks if things are any better. I'm tempted to go in even earlier but if we all adjust they'll deem it a success without that truly being the case.

Old 09-28-2017, 12:37 PM

678 posts, read 733,898 times
RTP needs more development, instead of it turning into a ghost town every weeknight and weekend. It's a shame that more people couldn't live there instead of commuting from all over the place just to work in RTP. Same thing with telework too, that needs to be expanded. No reason why everybody has to plop their butts in office chairs every day

Old 09-29-2017, 11:31 AM

6,650 posts, read 5,552,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Well, DOT says they’re working great.

https://mobile.twitter.com/wraltraff...42065991774208
Btw, I just looked at the chart again and I misinterpreted it when I quickly looked at it yesterday. They actually did exactly what I was asking for. It does include the time it takes to get from the road to 540. The "Route Start" column is a point north and south of the road's interchange with 540 to the interchange of 540 & US 70, and they measure the time it took before the ramp meters, and the time it took this week with the ramp meters.

So it seems that the ramp meters are providing some benefit despite the general perception of it (with the exception of the Falls of Neuse SB approach and the Leesville SB approach, where travel times have increased 3-4 minutes, which is why annabanana123 feels that her commute has gotten worse) -> @annabanana123 @frankpc

Old 10-01-2017, 12:52 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,569,777 times
Their data still seems off...but Friday was better so maybe. My experience has been an added 15 mins to get to 540 at a minimum until then. Traffic was really light on Friday so I think a lot of people were off rather than it being a true improvement. I guess we'll see how this week goes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary