Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2016, 07:14 PM

838 posts, read 2,581,745 times

Advertisements

Need a skilled and reasonably priced person that does good tile work. I made the mistake a few years ago by giving the wrong person the job to tile the floor of my master bathroom. The tiles are popping out and the ones that are not are in some way or another shaking .... total disaster. Going through the Big Box companies like Lowes or Home Depot seems to be a bit more of an expensive option so I am looking for a very good referral who knows what they are doing. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 05:46 AM

520 posts, read 1,014,016 times
We used the Grout Medic a few months ago & were very pleased.

They fixed numerous issues in the bathroom when they cleaned that. In our sun room where a prior contractor had left us a mess of missing & broken floor tiles they cleaned it up, replaced the broken ones & filled in the missing spots. You can't tell where they did the work it is done so well.

They will come out, go over the job & give you a free estimate.
https://www.thegroutmedic.com/

Old 09-10-2016, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZimaCheryl View Post
We used the Grout Medic a few months ago & were very pleased.

They fixed numerous issues in the bathroom when they cleaned that. In our sun room where a prior contractor had left us a mess of missing & broken floor tiles they cleaned it up, replaced the broken ones & filled in the missing spots. You can't tell where they did the work it is done so well.

They will come out, go over the job & give you a free estimate.
https://www.thegroutmedic.com/
Thanks Zima ... I will check them out. BTW, were their prices reasonable?

Old 09-10-2016, 07:24 PM

25,119 posts, read 16,121,624 times
unless the big box stores gave some kind of guarantee, on the labor they subcontract to others, why would you assume they are more expensive or in any way better? Their typical tile customer is there because the tiles are cheaper, and they're looking for the cheapest install.

the tile stores will have plenty of contacts of quality pros, but yes, you're paying for that information. You could also try riding around near your house, look at a big new build or remodel job, and watch whose tile van shows up.

I will say that, for 4+ years, the best tradespeople are backed up for weks and have no desire to do small jobs/repair. Perhaps your Realtor has a good name or 2 for you to try.

Old 09-10-2016, 10:10 PM

227 posts, read 229,412 times
Had a great experience with Francesca's Flooring, a smaller local company with great customer service and reasonable prices. They recently did our master bathroom.

Source: Cary, NC Flooring Contractor | Flooring Contractor 27518 | Francesca's Flooring & More

Old 09-11-2016, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
unless the big box stores gave some kind of guarantee, on the labor they subcontract to others, why would you assume they are more expensive or in any way better? Their typical tile customer is there because the tiles are cheaper, and they're looking for the cheapest install.

the tile stores will have plenty of contacts of quality pros, but yes, you're paying for that information. You could also try riding around near your house, look at a big new build or remodel job, and watch whose tile van shows up.

I will say that, for 4+ years, the best tradespeople are backed up for weks and have no desire to do small jobs/repair. Perhaps your Realtor has a good name or 2 for you to try.
BoBromhal, I did use Lowes for my laundry room about 2 yrs ago which is why I know about it being more expensive to go that route, especially because they are subcontracting the work out. In addition, they charge for their estimate and the fee is non refundable unless you decide to proceed with the job ... then they wil deduct the fee from the total cost of the job.

However, you are correct about getting referrals from the Tile Shops which I did for backsplash work on my kitchen about a year ago but can no longer locate the person and know that word of mouth referrals usually are the best because of overall experience by clients.

Old 09-11-2016, 05:37 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,391,113 times
We used Hugo Gonzalez AKA Tile Mechanic. He was recommended to us by Best Tile in Raleigh. My neighbor's used him as well. He did an excellent job and I highly recommend him. Hugo was quick as well as meticulous and knows his "stuff".

Bathroom Remodeling, Ceramic Tile and Installation, Tile Repair | Raleigh, NC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary