Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 08:28 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,710,029 times

Advertisements

Speaking for myself it's the area on US1 south near the highway 55 exit ramp in Apex and mainly in the afternoons. You have the people who drive in the left lane as far as they can then slow down to 40 mph or slower to get in the right lane to exit. That backs up traffic big time...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 09:33 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,700,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by builder24car View Post
Speaking for myself it's the area on US1 south near the highway 55 exit ramp in Apex and mainly in the afternoons. You have the people who drive in the left lane as far as they can then slow down to 40 mph or slower to get in the right lane to exit. That backs up traffic big time...
I've driven through that way a couple times and can verify that yes, yes that does happen and it's annoying.

Old 09-11-2016, 12:45 PM

6,650 posts, read 5,552,171 times
Random thought - I always check Google Maps before I leave work to find the fastest and least congested way home - I wonder what would happen if everybody checked Google Maps before they left work and spread out over different routes getting home depending on which was fastest.

Old 09-11-2016, 12:58 PM

141 posts, read 162,616 times
Glenwood Ave and Capital Blvd are definitely the worse spots traffic wise, without a doubt, no matter the time of day. All the interstates and U.S. highways are usually really busy during rush hour too. The US-1/US-64/I-40/I-440 interchange is probably the busiest (and one of the worst designed) interchanges in the Triangle. 54/McCrimmon in Morrisiville is not necessarily the busiest intersection in the Triangle, but it's extremely underbuilt for the amount of traffic but that it sees so it takes a loooooooong time to get through there.

Old 09-11-2016, 01:32 PM
rfb

2,593 posts, read 6,334,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I always check Google Maps before I leave work to find the fastest and least congested way home - I wonder what would happen if everybody checked Google Maps before they left work and spread out over different routes getting home depending on which was fastest.
Use Waze on your phone. Waze provides real-time traffic reports by drivers, and is pretty good and directing you around accidents and congestion. Google bought Waze a couple of years ago, and uses it to update the Google Maps for traffic.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:10 PM

6,650 posts, read 5,552,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
Use Waze on your phone. Waze provides real-time traffic reports by drivers, and is pretty good and directing you around accidents and congestion. Google bought Waze a couple of years ago, and uses it to update the Google Maps for traffic.
I used to use Waze but I found that the directions that Waze gives are a little weird - since Google Maps uses Waze to update traffic, I'd rather just use that.

Old 09-11-2016, 03:05 PM

3,294 posts, read 8,533,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
I do both. I always check google maps before going to and leaving work in order to check the congestion. If there is a real bad accident (showing up as maroon on google maps) backing up tracking for a while, I'll either go another way, since I have options, or turn on the waze app to help guide me. I hope no one else is doing that ;-).

Old 09-11-2016, 04:21 PM
rfb

2,593 posts, read 6,334,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
I do both. I always check google maps before going to and leaving work in order to check the congestion. If there is a real bad accident (showing up as maroon on google maps) backing up tracking for a while, I'll either go another way, since I have options, or turn on the waze app to help guide me. I hope no one else is doing that ;-).
I'm similar, except I don't check Google Maps before leaving home. I have several routes I can take from home to work, one of which is my preferred back-road route. I'll start up Waze when heading out, and if I hit bad congestion (usually due to a rate accident) I'll let it re-direct me.

Old 09-12-2016, 04:08 AM

7,181 posts, read 6,754,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingocat1000 View Post
The US-1/US-64/I-40/I-440 interchange is probably the busiest (and one of the worst designed) interchanges in the Triangle.
Full cloverleaf interchanges, even with C/D lanes, are never a good idea in high traffic areas due to the weaving involved, IMO.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:32 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,569,777 times
Six Forks near North Hills
Six Forks and Millbrook
Falls of Neuse and 540
Anywhere on Capital
The part of Litchford/Atlantic where it goes from 1 lane to 2 can get backed up leading to it.

All heading Northbound in the evening, southbound in the morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary