Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 07:49 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,515,464 times

Advertisements

Check out Durham as others have said. I lived in Boston and Asheville is way to small for someone who is not retired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 05:57 AM

2,625 posts, read 3,974,549 times
There are 2 books - The Best Art Towns in America" and "The Best Small Art Towns in America" by John Villani. You can get them used pretty inexpensively on Amazon. I used to have them, sold them at a yard sale.

But there are some interesting towns listed in both. Maybe some different places to look into.

We've been to Asheville once, but it was awhile ago. While the mountains are beautiful, the downtown left a lot to be desired. Lots of boarded up stores/businesses and lots of homeless. Maybe it's changed. Too remote for us in any case. There's lots more going on in the Triangle, and several people in Asheville told us they drive to Chapel Hill for their health care needs.

Good luck!

Old 09-13-2016, 07:42 AM

5,272 posts, read 3,140,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reb.s.new View Post
Hellloo!!

However as I read through the blogs there was a lot of hate thrown at Asheville...is it sincere? It seemed extensive...
If you could clarify this, it may help us understand what your concerns are. Tons of people from the Triangle visit Asheville and absolutely love it, especially for it's artsy scene. There isn't much here that compares to that scene.

What is your craft? Art comes in many shapes and forms.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:16 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,861,822 times
If you do choose this area(Raleigh Durham Chapel Hill) There are plenty of places to hike. As others have mentioned, Eno River State Park and Jordan Lake. There is also Falls Lake, and if you like Kayaking or biking you Kayak the falls of Neuse River, or bike the 35 miles(that's one way, so 70 when going back) Neuse river greenway. You can also hit up the William B Umstead State Park(lots of people like biking it as it is large(when I first moved here I did it on foot, took me like 7 hours to get out to the right exit) plus you can extend the length of the ride since it connects to Lake Crabtree, where you bike through it or bike the black creek greenway). If you go the Chapel Hill /Carrboro route, you can go to near by Saxapahaw, get you a delicious meal at the general store and then hike the Haw river trail, or kayak it.

Asheville I can't speak on, but I know a lot of people like it but just going by what I've read on the forums, it's not the best place to find a decent paying job. But that doesn't mean don't look, you might just find one. Don't believe the Raleigh is just for families line, plenty of people who have moved here are just like you.

I'll also suggest Durham, as it has a lot of cool things going for it, and it becomes a better middle ground to enjoy the whole region.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:31 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,284,069 times
You'll get a challenge alright moving to NC!! Take a look at how much money the state is losing everyday because of their backwards politics!!! If you hate gay people, are an elitist, care nothing for your fellow man, you'll fit right in, otherwise I'd steer clear of here!

Old 09-14-2016, 02:40 PM

6,647 posts, read 5,541,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hula View Post
You'll get a challenge alright moving to NC!! Take a look at how much money the state is losing everyday because of their backwards politics!!! If you hate gay people, are an elitist, care nothing for your fellow man, you'll fit right in, otherwise I'd steer clear of here!
I don't know how much you care about state politics but the cities - Asheville/Raleigh/Durham/Charlotte are pretty progressive for the southeast.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:44 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,205,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hula View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary