Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 07:55 AM

2 posts, read 2,550 times

Advertisements

Hellloo!!

I've lived in Massachusetts my whole life (with the exception of college in Wooster, OH), I have traveled a bit around the US as well...I'm looking for a change and a challenge. I was looking at Asheville because I am an artist, that city has a very artistic community, and it very close to beautiful mountains and hiking trails. However as I read through the blogs there was a lot of hate thrown at Asheville...is it sincere? It seemed extensive...Well, either way, I'm looking for a city that is artistic, unique, and has a diverse community that I could learn from. In terms of price, anything is more reasonable than Boston prices, so I'm not too worried about that. But do you like living in this area? As someone who is new and doesn't have a history in NC, would I find a community? Jobs are hard to come by everything in the US, but what is the job market for the creative, artistic or for educators? Thanks!

-Reb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 07:59 AM

22,640 posts, read 36,603,028 times
You should ask a moderator to move this to the Asheville Forum.

Old 09-11-2016, 08:38 PM

2 posts, read 2,550 times
While I had interest in Asheville, I'm now seeking to find out if Raleigh or Durham has any of those things to offer. What's most important is easy access to hiking trails. In Mass you can drive 20 minutes out of the city and find an awesome trail...just curious.

Old 09-11-2016, 10:00 PM

799 posts, read 3,219,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reb.s.new View Post
While I had interest in Asheville, I'm now seeking to find out if Raleigh or Durham has any of those things to offer. What's most important is easy access to hiking trails. In Mass you can drive 20 minutes out of the city and find an awesome trail...just curious.
If you're looking for all that, please do consider Asheville, I don't think you will be disappointed. I don't know enough about Raleigh yet to comment, but it's only about 3-3.5 hours from the beaches and they are wonderful! They have beginner sand dune hangliding classes in Kitty Hawk!

Old 09-12-2016, 04:16 AM

2,625 posts, read 3,982,026 times
Have you considered Carrboro? We are from the Boston area (Newburyport) and really liked the Chapel Hill/Carrboro area when we visited.

I believe that Carrboro is a pretty artsy community as well.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:28 AM

98 posts, read 106,668 times
I think Durham might have what you're looking for, seems to have a pretty creative scene and is close to Chapel Hill & Carrboro which definitely have what you're looking for, however being in Durham puts you closer to more and easier trip to Raleigh.

Plenty of trails as well within pretty easy driving distance plus Jordan Lake a short drive away.

We just moved from South of Boston and live in the Southpoint area of Durham, let me know if you have any questions!

Old 09-12-2016, 06:41 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,218,722 times
To be honest I don't think you should be focusing on the Triangle. There are artsy pockets, but as a whole the Triangle is extremely family oriented. People come here for bigger houses, less traffic, slower pace, and good schools. While there are some hiking/trail options, it's still strip mall galore.

I would think in NC, Asheville area would be the place for you.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:02 AM

13,351 posts, read 26,870,862 times
In general, Raleigh is not known as a great place for artists. Instead, it is a great place to raise a family. There is certainly an arts scene, as described in this thread:
Arts & Artists in the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill Triangle

One can go hiking in Eno State Park or at Jordan Lake.

I think you should do some preliminary job searching to see if anything interests you. I expect the most creative jobs would be in Web page design or in marketing. BTW, Asheville has a notorious poor job market since so many creative types want to live there and will tolerate minmum wages.

I also suggest you look at alternatives, especially cities more known for the arts such as Savannah, New Orleans or Philadelphia.

Last edited by goldenage1; 09-12-2016 at 08:27 AM..

Old 09-12-2016, 08:20 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,760,051 times
about the coolest, artiest place I have every been to is a little piece of paradise called Matlacha, Florida
https://www.google.com/search?q=matl...D_jFXf-hA-M%3A

Old 09-12-2016, 08:28 AM

4,541 posts, read 6,361,786 times
Durham is quite artsy, at least it has a burgeoning reputation as such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary