U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2016, 11:48 AM

17 posts, read 12,613 times

Advertisements

I just got back into fishing. And thankfully my daughter (9) wants to join me.

I troll google maps for lakes in our area, Clayton. I stumbled upon Cattail Lake. Its pretty close to us but looks to be down and out. No one was there and there's a bunch of posted signed around the perimeter. And no, we did not stop and drop any lines. I would just like to know more about it.

Does anyone know about this spot?

Was it once a family friendly hang out for small boating and fishing?

Any and all info would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 12:21 PM
DPK

3,088 posts, read 3,359,712 times
I believe the dam busted years ago and hence why it looks like basically a creek now. No idea why / who is responsible, but I also don't think it was publicly open for fishing either when it was actually functional.

A quick google shows that there might be a dispute between the State and the owner of the dam, preventing the owner from fixing the problem. Probably due to the location next to NC-96 and the bridge. No idea really.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:21 PM

17 posts, read 12,613 times
Hey DPK,

I appreciate you taking the time. I think I'll go take a stroll down there and see if I can find some locals who may know something as well. Its a hot spot for some photographs as well.

Thank You

Old 09-11-2016, 03:54 PM
DPK

3,088 posts, read 3,359,712 times
No problem. If you find anything out, feel free to followup here. I'm curious as well, but it's pretty off the beaten path for me so there's no reason for me to really dig deep into it, haha.

Old 09-11-2016, 05:40 PM

5,923 posts, read 7,260,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqznby View Post

Was it once a family friendly hang out for small boating and fishing?
It was years ago...a very popular place for fishing and picnicking. I fished it often from the early 80's unto around 1989. Cattail Lake was originally a mill pond with water powered grain mill, but it was no longer in operation by the time I started going there. The mill still stood, but was in need of repair. The store sold food and live bait, and boats were available to rent by the hour. You could launch your own boat, but gas engines were not allowed. The lake the full of Bream and Shellcrackers...some big as a Buick hubcap Let us know what you find out about the place if you check it out.

Old 09-12-2016, 09:04 AM

6,702 posts, read 5,006,306 times
If you want a spot to take your daughter Bass Lake Park in Holly Springs stocks regularly with catfish.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:32 AM

5,923 posts, read 7,260,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
If you want a spot to take your daughter Bass Lake Park in Holly Springs stocks regularly with catfish.
Another old mill site and private stock pond. You practically had to know the governor to get in there to fish. I was lucky enough to fish there once...and it wasn't called Bass Lake for nothing I went to a wedding there several years ago, and I was thinking how different to place looked all those years ago...around 1960.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary