Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 09:51 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,349,266 times

Advertisements

Comparatively Raleigh is a very small airport that has fairly modern equipment flying out of it. Newer aircraft = much less noise. It's not like an LAX.

Sometimes some aviation exposure can be good for kids, and ignite an interest as a career...

Old 09-12-2016, 10:04 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,122,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Comparatively Raleigh is a very small airport that has fairly modern equipment flying out of it. Newer aircraft = much less noise. It's not like an LAX.

Sometimes some aviation exposure can be good for kids, and ignite an interest as a career...
Good point! Kids love planes. Even when we were in West Cary, kids would look up when there was a particularly interesting one (usually the occasional low-flying one) overhead.

Kids REALLY love military planes overhead. You get more of those near where we are now (though they are rare) and you get even more of them the further south of Raleigh you get.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:11 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,349,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Good point! Kids love planes. Even when we were in West Cary, kids would look up when there was a particularly interesting one (usually the occasional low-flying one) overhead.

Kids REALLY love military planes overhead. You get more of those near where we are now (though they are rare) and you get even more of them the further south of Raleigh you get.
My dad was Air Force, lots of baby pictures of me in and around them!

They are loud though, I lived close to Oceana NAS in Virginia Beach prior to Raleigh, I had to wear ear plugs to walk my dog sometimes. There were nights they would depart on afterburner at 3:00AM. It was too much.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:12 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,588,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBoundPerhaps View Post
I'm not in NC yet so jokes with local insider preference will probably go under my radar.

I'm just surprised at how quickly a mother that is looking out for her kids future is pounced on here for asking a simple question, simply because others don't like the subject matter (or are so bored they just want to troll about something).
I am sorry if someone has already replied with the same. I have not read all the replies as yet.
So, your concern is airplane noise affecting your children if you move to this area. Why would you move to an area that is concerning to you in regards to your children health and well being? If you have such a concern, then this area is probably not for you. The airport does have flights overhead and there is airplane noise. You can choose to move to an area of the Triangle that does not have airplane noise.

What I really do not understand is when someone is looking at an area and they have concerns, why not cross the area off your list? Are you wanting someone to convince you to move to the area? Just cross it off and move on to the next place on your list.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:24 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,760,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post

I grew up on the final approach to NAS Norfolk back in the 50's. All types of 50's era military aircraft right overhead. My elementary school was also on the final (I mean 30 seconds before splashdown) for large military seaplanes to land in Willoughby Bay. We would climb up on the big sand dune behind my school and wave at the crew. You could tell if they had shaven or not they were so low.

Even when grown and married we lived on the final for NAS. I loved it !!
Well years later when the C5A's started coming in it would shake your boots but was still amazing. Moved here in 84' and would get my occasional fix by driving out near the airport and watching takeoffs and landings. Eventually they built the observation deck area at RDU. Anyway with this new found knowledge I can maybe stop kicking myself for some of my life's failures. It was because of those darn planes !!

Old 09-12-2016, 10:27 AM

15 posts, read 8,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
I am sorry if someone has already replied with the same. I have not read all the replies as yet.
So, your concern is airplane noise affecting your children if you move to this area. Why would you move to an area that is concerning to you in regards to your children health and well being? If you have such a concern, then this area is probably not for you. The airport does have flights overhead and there is airplane noise. You can choose to move to an area of the Triangle that does not have airplane noise.

What I really do not understand is when someone is looking at an area and they have concerns, why not cross the area off your list? Are you wanting someone to convince you to move to the area? Just cross it off and move on to the next place on your list.
You should probably read all the replies before adopting an insulting tone. Some of your questions were already answered.

Pretty much every neighborhood has pros and cons, there is no such thing as a perfect location, so right now I am in the early stages of researching one of many possible locations based on specific criteria that is important to me. Why should that be problematic for you or anyone else to understand?

There is an amazing amount of information out there, available to anyone with access to a search engine, on the science behind noise and how it affects cognitive processes. An intermittent/fluctuating noise source is far more detrimental to concentration and memory that a constant noise (like steady white noise or classical music). The negative impact to concentration and memory is measurable and has been proven with blind studies to negatively impact learning and thought clarity, and it occurs whether the subject of the study is even consciously aware of the noise source. There is consensus about these facts among pretty much every expert involved in the study of human learning. I have probably more knowledge in this area than most here, since both my husband and I are involved directly in this subject as a matter of our careers.

Given that, is it so hard for you to understand why I might be concerned about intermittent noise in an environment where I am raising my kids, the impact on their ability to do homework, get a good nights, rest, etc?

Or perhaps a better question, would YOU move to an area without researching the area with regard to things that could potentially impact your family or property values?

Old 09-12-2016, 10:33 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,121,287 times
I know it would be a deal breaker for me. And, the fact it concerns you is an example of why resale may be hard if you buy in that vicinity. Hope that you find something nice that you enjoy.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:36 AM

332 posts, read 396,988 times
I am curious about these studies, would love to read them. Show me a major city that doesn't have a wide collection of noises at all hours of the day. This sounds more like a question of the pros and cons of country living vs. city living to me and less about a child's development. Here in Seattle 100,000s of people are in the path of 2 major airports and many are the most expensive zip codes in the city.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:47 AM

15 posts, read 8,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe View Post
I am curious about these studies, would love to read them. Show me a major city that doesn't have a wide collection of noises at all hours of the day. This sounds more like a question of the pros and cons of country living vs. city living to me and less about a child's development. Here in Seattle 100,000s of people are in the path of 2 major airports and many are the most expensive zip codes in the city.
The best way to become informed about the subject (at the level of my husband and I) would be to pursue a doctorate degree and specialize on the topic, because it's one of the only ways you'll both gain full and thorough access to the best sources of information, and also have the proper academic background to interpret the information.

The easier (but not best) way to become informed about the subject is the lazy-man's method, just google it. You'll find infinite numbers of articles like the following:

[url]https://www.nap.edu/read/11574/chapter/7[/url]

Although that method may turn up time-wasting results from questionable sources or poorly written materials, or you may have to piecemeal together the knowledge from one article and cross-reference others in order to really become knowledgeable on the matter.

I'm so surprised that with all the information available via our fingertips, people still wonder how they can get to it?

Old 09-12-2016, 10:52 AM

422 posts, read 458,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBoundPerhaps View Post
My question here doesn't relate to just moving and renting for a while (that will make it easy, at least initially), but this will likely be a long-term employment arrangement, and a house purchase is a huge investment with a lot of associated cost, and not something to go into carelessly.
I've actually bought in every move, and never rented, I think we are on our eighth house. My hobbies don't fit in well with apartments as I need a decent size garage. While a house purchase isn't something to go into carelessly, it's also important to remember it's just a bunch of "sticks and bricks". But I'm also not one to view a house as an investment. Its just an expense item, no different than food, power, etc. Hopefully, when it's time to sell, if I bought it right and the market holds, I can break even with the sales cost with some appreciation, or maybe make a bit (thereby decreasing the effective monthly cost) with decent appreciation.

But having moved more times than 99% of the population, my advice is always the same, keep it low stress and not-over think it. Parents who over-think and stress about a move, are going to have worried and stressed kids.

Either way, good luck with the move. It's a great area, with lots of new (and newer) construction within an easy commute of RTP, both with and without airplane noise :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary