Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 10:53 PM

15 posts, read 8,521 times

Advertisements

Hello,

There is a high probability we will be relocating to the research triangle area next spring. As we have been doing research on housing options, it seems that much of the new housing options are within the noise contour of Raleigh Durham Intl Airport. This is somewhat concerning because of all the studies published on the effects of the noise on the general well being of kids (their ability to learn/study/do homework and more, get adequate sleep). Since my husband works from home often, it could also be an issue during important phone calls or otherwise interrupt / distract him.

I guess my first question is whether this has been an issue in any of the neighborhoods with regular flights overhead in terms of property value retention in the past? What are general thoughts about the future (since air traffic and noise tend to grow with population growth, and rapid growth in that area is another area of concern).

TIA for any insights!

Old 09-11-2016, 11:48 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,249,455 times
Personally, I am a light sleeper, so we looked for a property farther from fly zone and railroad. IMHO one does not necessarily have to live in a brand new house and in immediate vicinity of the office. Especially with 540 now built many other areas are within reasonable commute distance to RTP.

If it bothers you in any way then don't live close to an airport no matter what anyone else feels. As you correctly noted, the airport is not going anywhere and is likely to grow. To be fair though, I don't recall ever hearing plane noise when visiting RDU area, unlike when we lived close to BWI.

Old 09-12-2016, 12:06 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,394,925 times
Airports are noisy, property near them is cheaper,also harder to resell.

Old 09-12-2016, 04:58 AM

22,633 posts, read 36,593,496 times
Where are you moving from? The planes are not that bad in the flight path here....but that doesn't mean it won't change. I used to live under the flight path to JFK in NY. We knew what we were getting into. My DH grew up in the neighborhood where we lived and my sister lived there for a while. It was no surprise. The planes didn't bother me till a couple years before we moved here (we moved in 2010). They started using this system called NextGen, the planes started coming over constantly. I mean there were maybe 30 seconds between planes. And they came in much, much lower, especially in the summer. Like, people on the plane could probably identify us. It was so bad that when we sold our house I knew it would be a problem if we couldn't sell before summer.

I couldn't live that again. I've worked under the flight path here and it's just not as bad, planes aren't as low (even though we are closer to the airport) and not as frequent. But, all that can change.

Bottom line is studies mean nothing. Go to the neighborhood you are interested in and see what you think. Go in different kinds of weather, different times of day.

Old 09-12-2016, 05:20 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 9 days ago)

43,095 posts, read 76,681,954 times
People fight for homes with air traffic noise because of the perception that Western Wake County has the best schools.
Western Wake and West Cary and Morrisville have been developing rapidly for a generation or more, and currently are the local Nexus of Best School Hysteria.
The kids seem, to me, to get by OK.

The cool thing is, if you avoid BSH, you definitely have other new construction choices and can totally avoid the issue.

Old 09-12-2016, 05:31 AM

1,776 posts, read 1,862,111 times
Near an airport is not the problem. You want to avoid the flight paths. I am about 10 miles from the airport and directly under the ILS. I had the airport measure the sound and it was higher than any measured location near the airport. Funny that when I went to complain there were people 10 miles further out where flights were higher and more spread out complaining yet the airport insisted the noise level at my property's location was at an acceptable level.

Old 09-12-2016, 05:34 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,474,549 times
My aunt lived next to an elevated subway line.

When I visited, only noticed the trains screeching by the first night. Then, only noticed if they were not running.

The only real thing about airports is the remote possibility of a crash at takeoff or landing.

Old 09-12-2016, 05:52 AM

3,667 posts, read 6,553,831 times
I grew up next to JFK and the noise of planes was constant. Sometimes the planes would come in so low you could actually make out details of passengers faces in the windows. Since moving to the Triangle we've lived in the flight path for RDU. The planes aren't as low but they are there and when the windows are open, you hear them.

But here's the thing; the windows are almost never open down here.

I challenge any study that connects the noise made by airplanes to developmental issues in children. I'm one of hundreds of my generation raised next to JFK, many of us who have had very successful careers

If you want to live here but not in the flight path, move near the Shearon Harris Nuclear power plant.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:10 AM

16,365 posts, read 12,355,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
My aunt lived next to an elevated subway line.

When I visited, only noticed the trains screeching by the first night. Then, only noticed if they were not running.
Yep. This reminds me of a story my father would tell. He spent a few years in his 20's living literally adjacent to the runway of an air force base. He had to learn to sleep through large military aircraft landing and taking off at all hours. He said after a couple days, he didn't really notice anymore. The first night he slept at a new location, he woke up in the middle of the night in sheer panic, convinced something was wrong because he couldn't hear any jets. LOL

I actually live in an apartment with a bedroom window that faces a busy road. The first few nights, the noise really disturbed my sleep. Then I got one of these white noise machines. It's not the kind that plays crickets or other nature sounds. It's just a white fan noise. I've never slept so well in my life. Now I think that even if I didn't have a noise issue, I will always have one of these.

But to be honest, I think there are very few places in the triangle where airplane noise would be disruptive indoors. As someone else mentioned, most people don't open their windows around here (allergens are usually a bigger problem than noise!), and even if you can hear it indoors, you would probably tune it out after just a few days.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:12 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,759,488 times
I think the helicopters parents fly these days do much more harm to kids than living near a airport

Last edited by pitroad; 09-12-2016 at 06:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary