Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 11:23 PM

27 posts, read 30,807 times

Advertisements

My parents are looking to move to a condo in the triangle to be near grandchildren, but were hoping to find property near water. They are currently in Florida and are having a hard time leaving the beach. Considering Wilmington as well, but we would love to have them closer. I'm just not sure this type of "lakeside" property exists in this area. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 03:47 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,559,331 times
There's a townhouse community that's lakeside in Durham - Stratford Lakes (builder was Centex) - they seem quite nice but it's a small lake off a main road next to a Lowes. Not totally sure that's what they're looking for or would be happy with...but maybe check it out?

Old 09-12-2016, 06:14 AM

360 posts, read 718,998 times
Most of the lakes here, which are far and few in between, are artificial ones run by the Army Corp of Engineers and don't really have houses on them. I would definitely check out Wilmington for those types of things.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:35 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,245,108 times
Maybe also look at New Bern.

I know there are houses on lakes in the Charlotte area, but I think they are houses and not condos.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:41 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 12 days ago)

43,142 posts, read 76,719,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmm715 View Post
My parents are looking to move to a condo in the triangle to be near grandchildren, but were hoping to find property near water. They are currently in Florida and are having a hard time leaving the beach. Considering Wilmington as well, but we would love to have them closer. I'm just not sure this type of "lakeside" property exists in this area. Thank you!
What sort of water and lakeside would it take? Do they want to boat, fish, or just stroll and observe nature?

Most of our condos that are near water are really around small and medium-sized ponds.

Old 09-12-2016, 07:51 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,122,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
What sort of water and lakeside would it take? Do they want to boat, fish, or just stroll and observe nature?

Most of our condos that are near water are really around small and medium-sized ponds.
Good point. If they just want to "see" water, there are a reasonable number of places where they'd be happy. If they want recreational lake, that's another story.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:12 AM

13,351 posts, read 26,870,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 919 rtp View Post
I know there are houses on lakes in the Charlotte area, but I think they are houses and not condos.
There are some reasonably priced condos with lake views in the Charlotte area (Cornelius near Lake Norman). Also try near Lake Wylie in SC near Charlotte.

Old 09-12-2016, 09:38 AM

634 posts, read 909,141 times
Two of the local, "near water" locations that come to mind are Lakes Johnson and Crabtree - both have trails.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:06 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,122,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrkd View Post
Two of the local, "near water" locations that come to mind are Lakes Johnson and Crabtree - both have trails.
Neither have condos on them (do they? I know Crabtree does not), though there are apartments with water views.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:18 AM

634 posts, read 909,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Neither have condos on them (do they? I know Crabtree does not), though there are apartments with water views.
You're right - I was thinking that a portion of the Weston Lakeside construction was condos, but no, it's not.

And, while they are very close to the lake, I was wrong the "Lake Park Condominiums" (at Lake Johnson) actually being condominiums that one could buy .

Apologies, all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary