Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 08:21 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCviaMD View Post
These descriptions/myths about neighborhoods w/o HOAs is not true. I live in a neighborhood w/o a rules committee (HOA) and it's beautiful. There are no rusty cars in the yards, no uncut lawns, no weeds, etc. The only flags I see are American flags.
There are more non-HOA neighborhoods that look lousy to a homebuyer than there are ones that do not, generally speaking.

I'm glad yours is an exception. Unfortunately, you could have a neighbor sell nearby you tomorrow and have some slobs move in that put their car up on blocks in the front yard.

Unless you do have some covenants?

You can have covenants and no HOA.

As to the OP's issue, I'd push back if your cans really are hidden from street view.

I would probably also consider building a lattice "trash and recycling corral" so everyone would just **** about it in the first place. Those look quite attractive, generally speaking.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:22 AM

Example:

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...&iact=c&ictx=1

Old 09-13-2016, 09:01 AM

179 posts, read 151,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynraleigh View Post
ditto, I don't live in an HOA/Dictatorship neighborhood either, one of many reasons why I chose the neighborhood/home I'm in. My neighborhood is beautiful and highly desired. Homes sell in one day.
Do you realize that even the worst of homes are being gobbled up in a day in the current market as long as they are priced realistically (and for the most part, bank appraisals and loan approvals ensure that they are)?

It says nothing about how home sales in your neighborhood would fare against well-managed HOA neighborhoods in a highly competitive sellers market. That's usually when reality delivers a slap to the face of sellers that have market-dependent ideas of how much equity they think they have in their home.

"My neighborhood is beautiful" is the problematic statement. Beautiful is subjective and individualized. What's beautiful to you might be beautiful to X% of the future home buying population, or it might look horrific to a greater percent. It's that subjectivity that usually ends up costing someone a lot of lost equity.

It's one of the reasons that if you are painting a home to sell, it's better to stick with "safe" and very neutral colors, because while it will probably cause nobody to stand back and gasp at it's beauty, it will also probably not repulse anyone, which is far more important when it comes to selling a home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 09:07 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
If you live in a non-HOA neighborhood and it is well maintained, consider yourself extremely lucky because there are tons that are not. It's not just an eye-sore issue, it's a real issue that can affect the value of what is likely the entire neighborhood's biggest investment.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
If you live in a non-HOA neighborhood and it is well maintained, consider yourself extremely lucky because there are tons that are not. It's not just an eye-sore issue, it's a real issue that can affect the value of what is likely the entire neighborhood's biggest investment.
This.

It's about protecting both your own investment and looking out for your neighbors investment by not imposing personal choices (or lack of personal effort) that could impact them negatively.

I've actually met people who say "well I'm not selling this place any time soon, so I don't care and I like the way everything looks".

It's that selfish attitude that is the scourge of any neighborhood.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:23 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skempter View Post
Without HOAs, most of these neighborhoods would become slums, with unmaintained exteriors and yards, uncut grass and shrubs and weeds everywhere, multiple large flags all over the yard displaying the homeowners favorite football teams, politician, and anything else he got a free flag via his fan club membership for. There will be teenagers parking half rusted cars on the front yard. People will put tacky statues and paint their fence ugly colors.
Just popping in to say that I have an HOA and we currently have all of this except for rusted cars and ugly fence paint

(I'm not usually the grass police but my goodness, over a foot of crabgrass doesn't work for even the most lenient among us) (I'm ok with the front lawn of little gnomes) (my front door is chartreuse)

Anyway. OP that shed will get pretty smelly in summer with the garbage in there with diapers. Sounds like backyard with the HOA member telling you specifically where you need to block the view is the way to go. That, or a small wooden fence barrier, if that's allowed.

I couldn't really deal with an HOA more stringent than mine.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Just popping in to say that I have an HOA and we currently have all of this except for rusted cars and ugly fence paint

(I'm not usually the grass police but my goodness, over a foot of crabgrass doesn't work for even the most lenient among us) (I'm ok with the front lawn of little gnomes) (my front door is chartreuse)

Anyway. OP that shed will get pretty smelly in summer with the garbage in there with diapers. Sounds like backyard with the HOA member telling you specifically where you need to block the view is the way to go. That, or a small wooden fence barrier, if that's allowed.

Unfortunately presence of an HOA doesn't guarantee it is well-maintained. It's kind of like living in a town with a police force versus one that is lawless anarchy. It's up to the people and process to be sure the sheriff doesn't get corrupt

But your message confuses me, on one hand you're stressing about poorly maintained lawns and lack of HOA enforcement while simultaneously saying you don't want an HOA that does a better job at enforcing the rules.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post

We really never hear a peep from our current HOA, but people don't keep trashcans outside here unless they are in little wooden corrals and those look quite decorative, done correctly.

We don't have any people here now that don't keep their grass cut or have a service that does it.

We DO have some (I suspect) new people (or maybe it's a younger person who finally got a new car from the parents) that drive a car that tailgates like crazy entering our neighborhood and it's tough because of where our home is located and I always feel like I'm going to be run over.

Minor quibble, but I swear, I may let him rear-end me one day. The road leading to our neighborhood is one lane and 35 mph speed limit. He wants to drive around 55mph and slide into the neighborhood on two wheels, then keep on flying down the hill. Problem is, we're the first driveway, so what am I supposed to do? Turn in my driveway at top speed to allow him to continue speeding by?

I've tried to avoid him lately, really. I drive right past my house and turn onto the street in front of my house (corner lot) because I know he takes the other branch of the road. But, if I do find out it's a kid, I'm gonna talk to his parents. This is ridiculous.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:50 AM

19 posts, read 21,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I've tried to avoid him lately, really. I drive right past my house and turn onto the street in front of my house (corner lot) because I know he takes the other branch of the road. But, if I do find out it's a kid, I'm gonna talk to his parents. This is ridiculous.
You could try contacting the police and ask them to set up a speed trap if the time of day is consistent. I knew a kid growing up that had a lead foot. His mom and dad had put paper letters (before the days of email and such) around their house from concerned neighbors urging them to do something. A few months after the last time I was at his house, he was in a wreck (he was the driver of course) where he was killed (decapitated), the passenger in his car died and the passenger in the other car critically injured (not sure of outcome). The old saying about intervening saving lives is true.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:55 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
We really never hear a peep from our current HOA, but people don't keep trashcans outside here unless they are in little wooden corrals and those look quite decorative, done correctly.

We don't have any people here now that don't keep their grass cut or have a service that does it.

We DO have some (I suspect) new people (or maybe it's a younger person who finally got a new car from the parents) that drive a car that tailgates like crazy entering our neighborhood and it's tough because of where our home is located and I always feel like I'm going to be run over.

Minor quibble, but I swear, I may let him rear-end me one day. The road leading to our neighborhood is one lane and 35 mph speed limit. He wants to drive around 55mph and slide into the neighborhood on two wheels, then keep on flying down the hill. Problem is, we're the first driveway, so what am I supposed to do? Turn in my driveway at top speed to allow him to continue speeding by?

I'm certainly not the most law abiding driver when it comes to speed limits on random roads, but in neighborhoods where kids are playing, other places where it's called for, I stick to it. 35 is more than enough for most neighborhoods. I would drive how I needed to drive to turn in and forget what he says. In fact, after a couple of times I would probably slow to about 5 miles an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary