Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 04:02 PM

34,935 posts, read 36,059,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by igeslv5 View Post
I don't really like the idea of confronting neighbors either. To me, that's one good aspect of an HOA, it provides an in-between mechanism to communicate compliance problems, without one neighbor needing to directly confront another. Assuming the covenant is thorough and/or covers the issue in question, there is a clear winner and the two neighbors never need to feud.

For reckless driving teen, I'd say an anonymous letter is just as good as any. Looking back on the experience I shared, I really don't remember even paying a lot of attention to whether all of these neighbors (I think there were 3 letters total) even signed their name, I do remember seeing at least one signature. I remember that the portions I read (admittedly not all) were nicely written letters that showed sincere interest in the son's safety. At first I thought the guy was mocking them by displaying them like that but he said no his parents did that. It indicated to me they were using it to hopefully remind him. If nothing else, I thought well at least if he gets a ticket and says the cop was wrong, at least his parents know who to believe.

I think a caring parent would appreciate knowing about the problem. I'm sure there are some parents who will blindly defend their child's actions no matter what, but they are the ones who will have the most regret if he gets killed or goes to jail for killing someone else.
Yeah... and if someone approached me politely about one of my kids, I would react politely in return. Unfortunately, we are far more likely to run across parents who will defend their precious snowflakes even in the presence of video evidence and a radar gun than we are to run across parents who will be glad that another concerned adult is letting them know that their child is doing something potentially hazardous.

When I was teaching, I often had parents (right in front of me) look at their children and ask "did you do that?" when I told them the child at exhibited an inappropriate behavior.

I just stood there thinking "if this was my child, I would be asking WHY they did X, not IF they did X."

How rude. But, that's how it goes with most of these types of situations. Which is why we have "special snowflake" syndrome abounds.

And, I love kids. So, this isn't me being ornery. Just sad.

Old 09-13-2016, 04:53 PM

Note: We will NOT be debating the existence of HOAs in this thread. Thanks!

Old 09-13-2016, 05:36 PM

4,423 posts, read 3,623,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynraleigh View Post
I keep the trash/recycle cans in the garage along with 2 vehicles, the cans don't smell even in 100 degree heat, guess it depends on what one places in the cans and how they keep the cans clean.

I'll never say never, but buying into an HOA neighborhood is not something I would personally entertain.

My advice, store the cans in the garage and keep the cans clean, this will eliminate any smell; diapers or not.
The garbage cans are clean, and I use soap and water to clean them once in a while. The problem is that when you open them, the smell comes out quickly and lingers.

Besides, I can store many other useful things in the garbage rather than big bulky trash and recycling cans. There are tools, bikes, fridges and all kinds of kids' junk that needs to be in the garage. At least the town of Cary cans are smaller than the huge Durham cans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 05:37 PM

4,423 posts, read 3,623,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post

This seems to be a good option. It looks nice as well. I think I will try to find a nice storage shed for them like the picture I posted, or something like this.

I think I will also contact a handyman to see if he can build a nice wooden shed (similar to the one pictured) and painted to match the house color. If that's a reasonable price.

Old 09-13-2016, 06:16 PM

168 posts, read 143,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
The garbage cans are clean, and I use soap and water to clean them once in a while. The problem is that when you open them, the smell comes out quickly and lingers. Besides, I can store many other useful things in the garbage rather than big bulky trash and recycling cans. There are tools, bikes, fridges and all kinds of kids' junk that needs to be in the garage. At least the town of Cary cans are smaller than the huge Durham cans.
Maybe get something like the product below (any sort of lower cost container that could hold a large trash bag but simply looks like outdoor storage) and put it on the deck or somewhere less visible to neighbors. Try to match the color to the deck, etc.

https://www.suncast.com/ghw1732.html

Then get some of those garbage bags scented with febreze, put the diapers in those, and toss them in the storage container so that they are outdoors instead of in your garage, but more conspicuous than the town containers. Then once a week or however often you need to, carry those bags to the garage and place in the town containers before you haul them out to the road.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:18 PM

2,924 posts, read 3,319,984 times
Quote:
This seems to be a good option. It looks nice as well. I think I will try to find a nice storage shed for them like the picture I posted, or something like this.

I think I will also contact a handyman to see if he can build a nice wooden shed (similar to the one pictured) and painted to match the house color. If that's a reasonable price.
Read your covenants and architectural guidelines to determine what is permitted in you neighborhood and if you need ARC approval before you buy or install anything. BTW, you do not need to buy or build anything if all you need to do is have the cans our of street view, storing in the back would meet the description..

Old 09-13-2016, 10:34 PM

Quote:

I've seen a good many homes around Cary with similar enclosures. I would be surprised if it was very costly.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Read your covenants and architectural guidelines to determine what is permitted in you neighborhood and if you need ARC approval before you buy or install anything. BTW, you do not need to buy or build anything if all you need to do is have the cans our of street view, storing in the back would meet the description..
True. Asking the ARB is good. The up side of building an enclosure is that you never have any more complaints. We keep our cans inside the garage, but ours is really roomy. I'd do it even if it wasn't. I dislike cans outside.

Old 09-14-2016, 04:48 AM

19,358 posts, read 27,562,622 times
Quote:

Whatever you decide, get HOA archetectural approval before you spend a dime. And don't be surprised if they say no.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:05 AM

41 posts, read 59,326 times
And since it's your neighbor's complaining, after you do what you need to do to meet hoa guidelines, I recommending dumping your cans and bottles of recycling very slowly early morning or late at night. That will certainly drive them up the wall. My neighbor's complained when we took down trees that were already approved by the hoa. So now I let the kids play basketball before getting on the school bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary