Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 12:19 AM

610 posts, read 743,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Yeah... I reckon it was based on my experiences with those other stores, where tumbleweeds blow through.

I wish we'd get something really good in the Bass Pro location... like a World Market. I think that would work really well in that location.
I'd love a World Market.

Or a Joanns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 08:11 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,286,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
All joking aside, Parkside is a perfect Wegmans location. Close enough for the RTP lunch crowd, close enough to the West Cary folks complaining they need more supermarket options.
Whole Foods will be opening just up the street on Hwy 55 on the other side of the overpass next Spring. The second location for Wegmans is supposed to be off Davis on McCrimmon, although I can't figure out how there's possibly enough land to fit one.

Parkside is just a strange place in general. Mostly hair cutting, dentists, nail salons, etc. and than the usual chain eating places. Boring for the most part.

Last edited by hula; 09-20-2016 at 08:37 AM..

Old 09-20-2016, 08:26 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,126,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hula View Post
Whole Foods will be opening just up the street on Hwy 55 on the other side of the overpass next Spring. The second location for Wegmans is supposed to be off Davis on Macrimmon, although I can't figure out how there's possibly enough land to fit one.

Parkside is just a strange place in general. Mostly hair cutting, dentists, nail salons, etc. and than the usual chain places. Boring for the most part.
I like the Davis/McCrimmon location for Wegmans more than way out there by Parkside. That shopping center is a real turnoff.

Old 09-20-2016, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBonzie View Post
I'd love a World Market.

Or a Joanns.
Joanns would also work.

Or a Michaels. I would welcome a Michaels.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:09 PM

168 posts, read 266,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb3589 View Post
That shopping center is just plain ugly with the number of high retaining walls that were required. It's also impossible to see anything from the road, especially on the F&S side.

Having lived in NW Cary for a few years (now I live out in the middle of nowhere ), I will say that the shopping center was a welcome addition. It was very convenient having the Target and various restaurants less than five minutes away. But, other than people who live around that area or work in RTP, I don't know why anyone would specifically go to Parkside with the sheer number of other shopping centers in western Wake.
With Whole Foods going in down the road and the corner of NC 55 and O'Kelly Chapel prime for retail development, that area will fill in eventually. One wouldn't know it from driving down 55 but there is a ton of development going on, parallel to 55 almost all the way to 64 in Apex. What the area really needs and would take up both of the F&S and GolfGalaxy sites is a HOME CENTER. I'm so tired of having to drive to Apex every time I need a paint roller or screwdriver!!

The problem with Parkside Commons is that there are no anchor stores that appeal to the general public. Target won't cut it, there are too many of them around. That plaza needs stores in the mid-range size, Home Goods, TJ Maxx, Michaels, Kohl's, DSW, Total Wine. Yes, these stores are in the "area" but from experience -- it gets really old having to drive 15 miles round trip to get to any of these stores. There is some action on the Stein Mart site but it has been slow going...the Stein Mart "Coming" sign has been up so long it looks abandoned.

The overall development has too many "boutique" size shops and large sites that are of no interest to the general public with no mid-range size stores all of this equals ZERO future tenant interest. Chuy's seems to be doing well and has great food...there is a need for a few more sit-down restaurants in the area -- hopefully something will go in where Toby Keith's place was supposed to be. I believe CBRE is now the leasing agent for the vacant sites, hopefully that will help - Kite should never have tried to manage it on their own...their thing seems to be development -- not commercial leasing.

Old 09-20-2016, 10:23 PM

That Chuy's was disgusting and greasy the only time we attempted to eat there.

Old 09-21-2016, 12:18 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,531,466 times
More news:

CaryCitizen | Business Bits: Alston Town Center, Park West and Parkside Town Commons

Old 09-22-2016, 01:23 AM

610 posts, read 743,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Joanns would also work.

Or a Michaels. I would welcome a Michaels.
Both would be fantastic. Add the World Market and I'd never need to go to Crossroads again!

Old 09-22-2016, 04:57 AM

133 posts, read 330,787 times
Parkside is "way" out there? It is right off of 540 and on 55 very close to dozens of neighborhoods in West Cary; not to mention north of there in Durham, East of that location near and around RTP & Morrisville and still a quick ride up 55 from Apex or Central Cary. It still astonishes me what people consider too far away.

Saying all that, I don't think location is the issue there. In fact, I'm not sure how much of an issue they really have. F&S struggled for some of the reasons that people mentioned, that is a F&S specific issue. F&S is a destination store - not an impulse buying, regular errand running type store like Target or a grocery store. Therefore, signage and location and all that stuff - while important, is not the most important thing to a destination store like that. There was suddenly filled with outdoor stores as mentioned and the market just isn't ripe for what they sell in this area.

Now - if some of the other stores - as rumored on here like Frank's or Golf Galaxy - end up moving or closing, I'd rethink some things -although both of those offer a niche type offering - luxury movies & golf equipment. Golf is a slowing sport and struggling in general - Nike stopped making golf equipment, courses are closing, Dick's inventory of golf equipment is WAY down and someone said Golfsmith filed for Chapter 11. I'm kind of surprised they opened a big giant store like that anyway. (I hope they don't close because I'm a golfer and that is a terrific store though)

I my opinion, wait and see what happens before jumping to conclusions. It might take some time for them to find the right mix of retail and restaurants.

Last edited by RedZin; 09-22-2016 at 07:41 AM.. Reason: Removed formatting that was obscuring content completely.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPPWUS View Post
Parkside is "way" out there? It is right off of 540 and on 55 very close to dozens of neighborhoods in West Cary; not to mention north of there in Durham, East of that location near and around RTP & Morrisville and still a quick ride up 55 from Apex or Central Cary. It still astonishes me what people consider too far away.

Saying all that, I don't think location is the issue there. In fact, I'm not sure how much of an issue they really have. F&S struggled for some of the reasons that people mentioned, that is a F&S specific issue. F&S is a destination store - not an impulse buying, regular errand running type store like Target or a grocery store. Therefore, signage and location and all that stuff - while important, is not the most important thing to a destination store like that. There was suddenly filled with outdoor stores as mentioned and the market just isn't ripe for what they sell in this area.

Now - if some of the other stores - as rumored on here like Frank's or Golf Galaxy - end up moving or closing, I'd rethink some things -although both of those offer a niche type offering - luxury movies & golf equipment. Golf is a slowing sport and struggling in general - Nike stopped making golf equipment, courses are closing, Dick's inventory of golf equipment is WAY down and someone said Golfsmith filed for Chapter 11. I'm kind of surprised they opened a big giant store like that anyway. (I hope they don't close because I'm a golfer and that is a terrific store though)

I my opinion, wait and see what happens before jumping to conclusions. It might take some time for them to find the right mix of retail and restaurants.
It's "way out there" to the rest of Cary, Apex, Raleigh (they have to take a toll road if they want to go there easily), and anywhere else in the Triangle but West Cary and Durham.

So, yeah... it's not an optimal location, but West Cary needs a shopping center if people don't want to drive to Park West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary