Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 08:08 AM

6,335 posts, read 5,427,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
The issue is that a lot of people that live in South Durham don't even know Parkside is there. My mother lives 10 mins away and didn't know about it until 1 month ago.

Cinebowl is busy. Hickory Tavern is busy. The teet/Madios/Target are pretty busy.

That whole area is quickly building up. Might be tough for tenants now but it will be a prime location in 2-3 years IMO.
I don't see why anyone in South Durham would go to Parkside in the first place. Southpoint has most of what Parkside has, plus more, and is more convenient, walkable, and closer. The movie theater at Parkside is nicer but it's also way more expensive unless you go on a Tuesday.

I have friends who live in the apartments in Parkside and they keep trying to spin it as this up and coming new hot destination; I just don't see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 08:15 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,663,882 times
I've been in F&S twice. It's close to work and a 5 minute drive down Hwy 55 from home. The gun/ammo section was understaffed both times. Left without assistance after patient waits both times. Drove to the other side of town to Bass Pro and was at the counter and walking away with .22 ammo for my son within 1 minute. Fortunately Walmart is very inexpensive for the 9mm target rounds that I like.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:16 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,959,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
I don't see why anyone in South Durham would go to Parkside in the first place. Southpoint has most of what Parkside has, plus more, and is more convenient, walkable, and closer. The movie theater at Parkside is nicer but it's also way more expensive unless you go on a Tuesday.

I have friends who live in the apartments in Parkside and they keep trying to spin it as this up and coming new hot destination; I just don't see it.
it had a few different stores like Field & Stream lol there is also a public treasure Kilwins out that way

and I mean once you're that far you're just 10 min from publix

Really it's more about that area being the gateway from durham to cary and building up fairly fast

Old 09-15-2016, 08:25 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,122,580 times
I don't get Parkside.

They built it so that you cannot see what sort of shops are there unless you enter the shopping center. That'll discourage people right there. They built it with what will be a busy road dividing it (once the road cuts through). That's another negative.

Odd place, all around.

They made the apartments so far to the side that it's a hefty walk from an apartment to the HT or the Target. It seems like those should've been closer by than the side the apts are located on.

Or the apts should've been in the middle.

Plus, 55 is an UGLY stretch of highway. Maybe if they did some highway beautification they'd attract more people to the area.

I think that the real dig over there is that you have to hit the toll road to get to it from Raleigh. If they'd put the toll road on the other side of 55, it would've been a better situation, but they just HAD to toll the hell out of everyone using 55 to access RTP.

That piece of 540 existed before they put in the toll road.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:27 AM

3,231 posts, read 3,518,765 times
I am in Parkside multiple times per week, primarily to Harris Teeter and carryout food. I hate shopping but I can get in and out of that HT much faster than the Cary Park Towncenter one, because I always run into people I know at the CP one (and traffic in CP towncenter is terrible). I still am not sure what they were trying to do with ParkSide. I have stepped foot in 3 non-food stores: Target, Petco, SportClips. I am tired of all the restaurants as have been to each one too many times. Chuy's, Hickory Tavern, Maddios, Panera and Chick-Fil-A all seem busy. Some of the others do well at lunch - Jersey Mike's, Five Guys, Noodles. I thought I would like the greek place, but they are expensive for the portions you receive.

They need more sit-down, not quite fast casual dinner offerings, preferably where there is no sensory overload from loud music and walls of TVs. They are over-served in Pizza and mexican.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:27 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,122,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
it had a few different stores like Field & Stream lol there is also a public treasure Kilwins out that way

and I mean once you're that far you're just 10 min from publix

Really it's more about that area being the gateway from durham to cary and building up fairly fast
But, for people in Cary already, there's a Kilwins at Stone Creek and one about to open at Park West (which is technically Morrisville, but still).

No need to drive way out there. Especially if you want a place like F&S and some Kilwins. Park West has Gander Mountain.

If you want Publix and Kilwins? Go to Stone Creek. See? Parkside is just not a draw unless you live really close to it.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:31 AM

3,231 posts, read 3,518,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I don't get Parkside.

They built it so that you cannot see what sort of shops are there unless you enter the shopping center. That'll discourage people right there. They built it with what will be a busy road dividing it (once the road cuts through). That's another negative.

Odd place, all around.

They made the apartments so far to the side that it's a hefty walk from an apartment to the HT or the Target. It seems like those should've been closer by than the side the apts are located on.

Or the apts should've been in the middle.

Plus, 55 is an UGLY stretch of highway. Maybe if they did some highway beautification they'd attract more people to the area.

I think that the real dig over there is that you have to hit the toll road to get to it from Raleigh. If they'd put the toll road on the other side of 55, it would've been a better situation, but they just HAD to toll the hell out of everyone using 55 to access RTP.

That piece of 540 existed before they put in the toll road.
Agree completely, especially the bit in bold. I guess Crossroads has a trafficy road splitting it in half, but with the focus on more walkable shopping experiences these days, building one with a major road through the middle will discourage that. It becomes a safety issue especially when they need to add 3 or 4 stop lights to slow traffic for walkers, so getting in and out of the shopping center is inconvenient.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:35 AM

21,007 posts, read 27,070,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I totally agree. That store opening in that shopping center never made any sense to me. Carolina Preserve is right down the road and the rest of the place is full of northeastern transplants. I never even heard of this store till it opened over there.

And the area is totally over subscribed on this type of store, not to mention Dick's and REI sell some of the same stuff.
Field & Stream is a subsidiary of Dick's Sporting Goods. Dick's Sporting Goods should focus more on team sports and utilize Field & Stream for hunting, fishing, and outdoor lifestyle.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:44 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,959,092 times
all our fields and streams become subdivisions

Old 09-15-2016, 09:12 AM

21,007 posts, read 27,070,643 times
Some field and streams have received chemicals from water treatment plants and are being developed into high density communities geared toward specific age groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary