Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2016, 08:04 AM

865 posts, read 1,002,671 times

Advertisements

Ever since Bill Jordan retired from hosting the show in March 2013, it's been a revolving door of hosts for this radio show. First they paired his cohost, Lynda Loveland, with Mike Chase, who came from and then returned to Portland after just over a year in May 2014. Lynda went back to doing news on WRAL-TV while Mix brought in Gene and Julie Gates from Dallas in July 2014. Now just two years later, Gene and Julie have left effective last month and been replaced by Two Men and a Mom. The men are Kyle Smelser and Bryan Lord from Indianapolis, while the mom is Sarah King, a local lady.

When announcing the new team, MIX 101.5 Program Director Michele Williams said, "We are thrilled to have Kyle, Bryan and Sarah join our team. They bring a wealth of experiences, a new perspective, passion and creativity to the station.” Which doesn't really say much of anything why they were hired and Gene and Julie were let go.

Does anyone know why this happened and what the heck is going on with the turnover there? It's an established station but lately it's been acting like an amateur hour. Even the News & Observer doesn't seem to know the deal (see link below). Do you? Or do you even care?

Raleigh's MIX 101.5: Gene and Julie are*being replaced by
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 08:11 AM

43,015 posts, read 76,510,473 times
If the on-air folks register great numbers, they tend to stick around. I suspect that great numbers are more and more elusive.

Gene and Julie were pretty lame, and the departure is clear indication of a contract that was not renewed, whether by mutual accord, or by unilateral decision of one of the parties.
Linda Loveland went back to TV, where she is well-suited.

Michele Willams HAS to be "thrilled." That is her job.

It would be difficult to work that job, with 101.5's 4 song playlist.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:17 AM

386 posts, read 433,165 times
If the signal for Rock 92.3's signal reaches you, try that for morning radio. Those guys (and gal) are better than anything Raleigh has to offer.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:43 AM

4,230 posts, read 4,653,310 times
Tough time to be in radio. Paying money for on-the-air talent (especially two or three people) is difficult to balance against ad revenues unless ratings are strong.

Old 09-14-2016, 11:05 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,525,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetbutt View Post
If the signal for Rock 92.3's signal reaches you, try that for morning radio. Those guys (and gal) are better than anything Raleigh has to offer.

I agree, and there's an app for the station to get the stream!

Old 09-16-2016, 06:39 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,239,034 times
I have no knowledge how to run a radio station, but here I go. After Bill Jordan retired they should have hired a mid-30's to mid-40's aged Bill Jordan clone. They didn't. During the try out period for various people with Lynda Loveland, I didn't like Mike. I thought he was trying to make himself more middle of the road than he is. Surprised when they hired him. I don't think his wife and kids moved here so that's one thing not tying him to the area. Probably working on his return home from the start or within a couple of months.

The radio station should realize they need to be family friendly-ish so parents can keep the radio tuned to their station with the kids in the car for the morning school run and news/weather/traffic. After the kids are away, head on over to Rock 92 for something else.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:22 PM

22,614 posts, read 36,512,094 times
Gene and Julie were fired. You can google them - they've been pretty clear that they have a lot to say but have been directed not to say anything negative in order to get their severance and they are skating a verrrry fine line there. It's pretty amusing actually.

This new crew is no better than Gene and Julia, who I didn't love, but this bunch is skating perilously close to Bob and the Showgram territory, except more yawn inducing. Honestly a bad move by wralfm because now they are undoubtedly paying Gene and Julia AND these new yahoos and it's not really worth it. I thought Gene and Julie made their show run by having people call in about this, that and the other thing but they were creative geniuses compared to these new people. They are beyond dull. I literally couldn't even tell you any of their names.

My DS listens to 99.9 in the car, and DD has been listening to music on her phone because she doesn't like the new people, which leaves me to listen to 102.9 now.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:30 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,576,158 times
WRAL said they fired Gene & Julie "for the long term health of the station"

I've got a feeling they were producing good numbers in demographics that were too old. Mix is in an awkward place where they want to young the demos up some without venturing into G105 territory musically.

That said... the station is still a license to print money.

Old 09-17-2016, 06:37 AM

43,015 posts, read 76,510,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Gene and Julie were fired. You can google them - they've been pretty clear that they have a lot to say but have been directed not to say anything negative in order to get their severance and they are skating a verrrry fine line there. It's pretty amusing actually.

This new crew is no better than Gene and Julia, who I didn't love, but this bunch is skating perilously close to Bob and the Showgram territory, except more yawn inducing. Honestly a bad move by wralfm because now they are undoubtedly paying Gene and Julia AND these new yahoos and it's not really worth it. I thought Gene and Julie made their show run by having people call in about this, that and the other thing but they were creative geniuses compared to these new people. They are beyond dull. I literally couldn't even tell you any of their names.

My DS listens to 99.9 in the car, and DD has been listening to music on her phone because she doesn't like the new people, which leaves me to listen to 102.9 now.
Home of Disco, and Disco Inferno.
It doesn't seem like it ever takes 3 songs before you are hearing, "Burn that mutha down."

I was joking about that with Heart Throb one time, turned the car radio to 102.9, and there it was. Dang hysterical, so it was....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_sY2rjxq6M

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 09-17-2016 at 07:23 AM..

Old 09-17-2016, 07:19 AM

22,614 posts, read 36,512,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
WRAL said they fired Gene & Julie "for the long term health of the station"

I've got a feeling they were producing good numbers in demographics that were too old. Mix is in an awkward place where they want to young the demos up some without venturing into G105 territory musically.

That said... the station is still a license to print money.
Or "comedically" - I'm fairly liberal with what my kids watch and hear but I can't have 105.1 on in the morning while my kids are in the car. They are just backwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary