Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 07:48 AM

11,202 posts, read 8,246,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I'm with DGMayor. It's really easy to make pizza dough. Just yeast + flour + water. You don't have to wait for it to rise a lot like you do with bread. By the time you get your toppings sorted you can stretch the dough and do yourself a pie. If you make it yourself you can flavor it with different herbs and spices if you like or control the amount of salt, etc. We just made some tonight.
While this is technically true, the thing that makes [any] dough really good is the timing. The time to rise, and the time for the yeast to develop. For a good, chewey/crusty dough, the time matters.

That is why it's better to buy pre-made dough, unless you have a couple days to do it right at home. I used to ALWAYS make my own, but over time, I realized that I'm not losing any quality, just time, by purchasing pre-made.

The important factor is to find a dough that you like. I have liked Trader Joe's. I may try Publix based on this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 07:58 AM

12,798 posts, read 16,250,934 times
Hmmm, I disagree, pizza crust doesn't need a long rise in my opinion. If you're doing a sourdough starter you need time for that, but otherwise pizza crust is quick and easy.

Here's a fave recipe, much better than anything you can buy in the store:

The Best Homemade Thin-Crust Pizza - Recipe | The Kitchn

Old 09-21-2016, 08:25 AM

9,766 posts, read 15,721,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
While this is technically true, the thing that makes [any] dough really good is the timing. The time to rise, and the time for the yeast to develop. For a good, chewey/crusty dough, the time matters.

That is why it's better to buy pre-made dough, unless you have a couple days to do it right at home. I used to ALWAYS make my own, but over time, I realized that I'm not losing any quality, just time, by purchasing pre-made.

The important factor is to find a dough that you like. I have liked Trader Joe's. I may try Publix based on this thread.
Absolutely! Pizza dough is best when it sits for several days. I've made my own and buy Trader Joe's. I haven't tried Pulix dough either.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Hmmm, I disagree, pizza crust doesn't need a long rise in my opinion. If you're doing a sourdough starter you need time for that, but otherwise pizza crust is quick and easy.

Here's a fave recipe, much better than anything you can buy in the store:

The Best Homemade Thin-Crust Pizza - Recipe | The Kitchn

Poppydog,

When I started to make homemade pizza, I wanted to make really good pizza and scoured the Internet for blogs, recipes, forums, etc. And I found a pizza forum - seriously it is a whole forum devoted to making pizza - dough, sauce, different types of pizza (NY style, Chicago style, etc.), types of flour to use, etc. These people are serious pizza fiends!

The one thing I remember distinctly was for the best pizza, you need for the dough to sit - the more days the better - seriously like 3+ days. It gives time for the dough to ferment. In fact, they have a section on "Emergency Dough" pizza, which is when you absolutely need to make your pizza within about four hours and haven't prepared the dough in advance. Here's the forum, if you want to take a look: Pizza Making Forum - Index

Old 09-21-2016, 08:46 AM

12,798 posts, read 16,250,934 times
Different strokes for different folks. I prefer to make my own. I learned at a young age when I worked briefly making pizzas.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:49 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,359,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Poppydog,

When I started to make homemade pizza, I wanted to make really good pizza and scoured the Internet for blogs, recipes, forums, etc. And I found a pizza forum - seriously it is a whole forum devoted to making pizza - dough, sauce, different types of pizza (NY style, Chicago style, etc.), types of flour to use, etc. These people are serious pizza fiends!

The one thing I remember distinctly was for the best pizza, you need for the dough to sit - the more days the better - seriously like 3+ days. It gives time for the dough to ferment. In fact, they have a section on "Emergency Dough" pizza, which is when you absolutely need to make your pizza within about four hours and haven't prepared the dough in advance. Here's the forum, if you want to take a look: Pizza Making Forum - Index
Dinner at michgc's!

Old 09-21-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Dinner at michgc's!
Ha! I wish I could say that I have mastered it. The problem is that unless you have an oven that gets above 550 (I think real pizza ovens are about 700 degrees), it's hard to easily replicate a true pizza place's pizza (of which you have tons of delicious ones surrounding you, PDF!). I have found that I need to heat the oven at its highest temp for at least a half hour before starting (which I have given up on doing in the summer), then I bake the dough alone to get it just brown, then I remove it and add the sauce and cheese and put it back in the oven. Otherwise, I find the dough doesn't get cooked all the way through if I put it all in at once. I also have a hard time getting the dough as thin as I like it. I would say that my homemade pizza is "pretty good" (I learned a lot on that forum) but not great. I'd still prefer to eat a slice in NYC! How about dinner at PDF's place in NY?

Old 09-21-2016, 12:04 PM

This is what my pizza looks like. Not as thin as I would like.

Old 09-21-2016, 12:40 PM

11,202 posts, read 8,246,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Ha! I wish I could say that I have mastered it. The problem is that unless you have an oven that gets above 550 (I think real pizza ovens are about 700 degrees), it's hard to easily replicate a true pizza place's pizza (of which you have tons of delicious ones surrounding you, PDF!). I have found that I need to heat the oven at its highest temp for at least a half hour before starting (which I have given up on doing in the summer), then I bake the dough alone to get it just brown, then I remove it and add the sauce and cheese and put it back in the oven. Otherwise, I find the dough doesn't get cooked all the way through if I put it all in at once. I also have a hard time getting the dough as thin as I like it. I would say that my homemade pizza is "pretty good" (I learned a lot on that forum) but not great. I'd still prefer to eat a slice in NYC! How about dinner at PDF's place in NY?
Agree with the bolded part. I'll add two tricks that REALLY help.

1. Throw away your round pizza stone, go to Lowes and get four 8" UNGLAZED brick tiles. Use them, you'll get a 16" square surface (easier to hit with a big pizza), and they seem to retain heat and are more break-resistant than the stones.

2. (And this is the kicker) If they fit on your gas grill, use them there. I had the same issue, that I would NOT make Pizza in the summer, because it heated up the house too much, but now I do it year-round on the grill. I have a four-burner grill, and I still preheat for a long time, but once I get near cooking time, I leave the two outside burners on high, and I find the sweet-spot for the burners directly under the flame (about medium-ish on my grill). It allows you the greater heat and gives the fire-cooked flavor.

I broke a couple pizza stones on the grill before going to the tiles. I've still cracked a few, but they fit right back togehter, and I've been using two cracked ones for a couple years now.

I've got pictures, but they are on my phone and on fb. Let's see what I can come up with....

Old 09-21-2016, 01:18 PM

307 posts, read 375,631 times
As an alternative to the tiles you can get a baking steel. I have one and it's great, much better than a stone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary