Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 04:09 PM

634 posts, read 907,646 times

Advertisements

Side-tracking your post - apologies - but is there a decent (in-state) dealer to try out, at a minimum, several 'bent frame styles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 05:55 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,526,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrkd View Post
Side-tracking your post - apologies - but is there a decent (in-state) dealer to try out, at a minimum, several 'bent frame styles?
I rented before I bought. PRODUCTS
Ordered via mail-order from CO.

Check out: BentRider Online Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Sharrow-related: recumbent riders smile,and lookout straight ahead, not directly down at sharrows, pavement, like other cyclists. ;-)

Old 09-16-2016, 09:41 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,563,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I'm mixed about sharrows - they're a good reminder that bikes can be on the roads but run the risk of getting a message to drivers that bikes can only be on certain roads.

annabanana, don't think it's supposed to be a traffic calming device - just a reminder that bicyclists can position themselves in a certain way in the middle of the road/lane if they feel it's safe.

Agreed $200K is a drop in the bucket for transportation projects.
I thought they were supposed to let people know bikes would be on the road which should elicit a natural "slow down" response. At least if you have half a brain...

Old 09-16-2016, 11:03 AM

6,646 posts, read 5,536,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
I thought they were supposed to let people know bikes would be on the road which should elicit a natural "slow down" response. At least if you have half a brain...
They're mainly just to reinforce the use of bicyclists on the road and show where bikers can position themselves on the road - that's why many of them are in the middle of the lane instead of as far as right. If need be, the bicyclist can position themselves where the sharrow is.

"Shared Lane Markings (SLMs), or “sharrows,” are road markings used to indicate a shared lane environment for bicycles and automobiles. Among other benefits shared lane markings reinforce the legitimacy of bicycle traffic on the street, recommend proper bicyclist positioning, and may be configured to offer directional and wayfinding guidance. The shared lane marking is a pavement marking with a variety of uses to support a complete bikeway network; it is not a facility type and should not be considered a substitute for bike lanes, cycle tracks, or other separation treatments where these types of facilities are otherwise warranted or space permits. The MUTCD outlines guidance for shared lane markings in section 9C.07."

Shared Lane Markings - National Association of City Transportation Officials

Old 10-18-2016, 08:46 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,526,522 times
sad sharrow fail? Or, was it too dark to be on a bicycle?

For Immediate Release
October 18, 2016

Morrisville Driver Charged with Felony Hit and Run in Cary

CARY, NC – A driver has been located and arrested early this morning in a hit-and-run that sent two cyclists to the hospital last evening. Christopher Moore, 33, of Page Street, Morrisville, is charged with two counts of Felony Hit-and-Run of cyclists in Cary. These charges carry a total penalty of up to four years in prison. He is currently being held at the Wake County Public Safety Center.
At 6:46 p.m., Cary emergency responders answered a call of a hit-and-run on High House Road. Based on evidence and eyewitness reports, four adult cyclists were traveling inbound on High House Road toward Old Apex Road when a maroon SUV traveling in the same direction ran over two of the cyclists. Both were taken to WakeMed Raleigh with serious injuries; they’ve since been identified as Virginia Davis, 55, of Colcross Court, Cary, and Laura “Lori” Cove, 48, of Old Post Road, Raleigh. The other two cyclists were uninjured.
The investigation is continuing and anyone with information should call the Town of Cary Police at (919) 469-4012 or file a report anonymously with Cary Crime Stoppers at (919) 460-4636. Crime Stoppers pays up to $1,500 for the arrest or indictment of those responsible for committing certain types of crimes. All calls will be kept CONFIDENTIAL at the caller's request

*Media note – Now that an arrest has been made, the focus turns to the prosecution, which for Cary is led by the Wake County District Attorney’s Office. Therefore, this is the last update and official comment the Town of Cary plans to make on this case outside of court until the matter is completely resolved.
PRIMARY CONTACTS:
Randall Rhyne, Criminal Investigations Division, (919) 469-4017

Old 10-18-2016, 08:52 AM

34,935 posts, read 36,074,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
sad sharrow fail? Or, was it too dark to be on a bicycle?

For Immediate Release
October 18, 2016

Morrisville Driver Charged with Felony Hit and Run in Cary

CARY, NC – A driver has been located and arrested early this morning in a hit-and-run that sent two cyclists to the hospital last evening. Christopher Moore, 33, of Page Street, Morrisville, is charged with two counts of Felony Hit-and-Run of cyclists in Cary. These charges carry a total penalty of up to four years in prison. He is currently being held at the Wake County Public Safety Center.
At 6:46 p.m., Cary emergency responders answered a call of a hit-and-run on High House Road. Based on evidence and eyewitness reports, four adult cyclists were traveling inbound on High House Road toward Old Apex Road when a maroon SUV traveling in the same direction ran over two of the cyclists. Both were taken to WakeMed Raleigh with serious injuries; they’ve since been identified as Virginia Davis, 55, of Colcross Court, Cary, and Laura “Lori” Cove, 48, of Old Post Road, Raleigh. The other two cyclists were uninjured.
The investigation is continuing and anyone with information should call the Town of Cary Police at (919) 469-4012 or file a report anonymously with Cary Crime Stoppers at (919) 460-4636. Crime Stoppers pays up to $1,500 for the arrest or indictment of those responsible for committing certain types of crimes. All calls will be kept CONFIDENTIAL at the caller's request

*Media note – Now that an arrest has been made, the focus turns to the prosecution, which for Cary is led by the Wake County District Attorney’s Office. Therefore, this is the last update and official comment the Town of Cary plans to make on this case outside of court until the matter is completely resolved.
PRIMARY CONTACTS:
Randall Rhyne, Criminal Investigations Division, (919) 469-4017
I still don't understand sharrows. I mean, bikes could always use the road.

That said, I hope the cyclists recover without any permanent damage. Hit and run is never excusable, even when it's dark out.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:20 AM

9,125 posts, read 14,669,682 times
Weird thing about Sharrows. Like on on Evans road. In some places they are all the way to the right (and this seems to be the most common placement) and in others just up the road, they are in the middle. Is this on purpose or did the paint crew mess up? And if on purpose, is there any difference in meaning?

I'll agree with RedZin, bikes are alowwed on roads anyway and hopefully people know that. I think the sharrows are fine as a reminder, but if you get into things like Raleigh did, with multiple colors and multiple line types that are supposed to mean different things in different places, it causes confusion on everyone's part.

The guy who ran over the people is probably just mad that he no longer lives in the middle of nowhere given his address and acted out at people.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:46 AM

6,646 posts, read 5,536,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Weird thing about Sharrows. Like on on Evans road. In some places they are all the way to the right (and this seems to be the most common placement) and in others just up the road, they are in the middle. Is this on purpose or did the paint crew mess up? And if on purpose, is there any difference in meaning?

I'll agree with RedZin, bikes are alowwed on roads anyway and hopefully people know that. I think the sharrows are fine as a reminder, but if you get into things like Raleigh did, with multiple colors and multiple line types that are supposed to mean different things in different places, it causes confusion on everyone's part.

The guy who ran over the people is probably just mad that he no longer lives in the middle of nowhere given his address and acted out at people.
The paint crew didn't mess up, it's just a recommendation of where in the road is the safest place to ride to be more visible to traffic in front and behind you. Different road conditions may dictate different placement of the sharrows.

The use of green pavement markings for bike lanes in conflict areas downtown is a new measure that's being experimented around the US: Interim Approval for Optional Use of Green Colored Pavement for Bike Lanes (IA-14) - Interim Approvals Issued by FHWA - FHWA MUTCD

Old 10-18-2016, 12:38 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,373,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
....I'll agree with RedZin, bikes are alowwed on roads anyway and hopefully people know that. I think the sharrows are fine as a reminder,.....
I really, really wish it were the case that "most people know bikes are allowed on the road" but check out the comments section on any news story about a cyclist getting hit by a car and there are usually tons of comments about how the bike "shouldn't be allowed there" or "was in the way" or something like that. So even if people know they're allowed, they don't agree with the idea and don't take the proper precautions because a bike on the road is "wrong". It's a terrible mentality but apparently fairly prevalent.

Old 10-18-2016, 12:44 PM

34,935 posts, read 36,074,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
I really, really wish it were the case that "most people know bikes are allowed on the road" but check out the comments section on any news story about a cyclist getting hit by a car and there are usually tons of comments about how the bike "shouldn't be allowed there" or "was in the way" or something like that. So even if people know they're allowed, they don't agree with the idea and don't take the proper precautions because a bike on the road is "wrong". It's a terrible mentality but apparently fairly prevalent.
It should be a question at driver's license testing and renewal. Ignorance of the law won't be remedied by painted arrows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary