U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-18-2016, 11:50 AM
 
Location: NC
6,248 posts, read 4,388,958 times
Reputation: 6970

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
It should be a question at driver's license testing and renewal. Ignorance of the law won't be remedied by painted arrows.
That is a GREAT idea. (ALthough I think the painted arrows help with awareness, they don't 'solve', but they help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-18-2016, 11:58 AM
Status: "ready for fall." (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: under the beautiful Carolina blue
15,595 posts, read 23,702,213 times
Reputation: 11552
He RAN OVER two bicyclists he was either completely no paying attention, just didn't care, possibly drunk (we won't know that since he left the scene) or didn't have his lights on at that time of night which makes it really hard to see. I see so many people at that time of night with no lights on and it's ANNOYING.

I should have been on that road in that location at that time last night but went a different way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2016, 12:22 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
3,825 posts, read 2,302,449 times
Reputation: 2447
Question: Assuming you are paying attention, what helps with visibility of bicyclists when you encounter one on the road? I bike a lot at night and have a front white light and blinking rear red light but am curious if that is really enough to be visible to most people on the roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2016, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Apex NC, the Peak of Good Loving.
1,451 posts, read 1,619,475 times
Reputation: 2158
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
It should be a question at driver's license testing and renewal. ...
I renewed my license yesterday. Did it on-line. No eye test, no fact-knowledge test. Pay the fee, get the renewal.

.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2016, 01:39 PM
 
Location: Cary, NC
1,106 posts, read 681,975 times
Reputation: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Question: Assuming you are paying attention, what helps with visibility of bicyclists when you encounter one on the road? I bike a lot at night and have a front white light and blinking rear red light but am curious if that is really enough to be visible to most people on the roads.
The other day I was driving out towards Jordan Lake and there was a bicyclist with a blinking red light and the one thing I thought at the time is that I wish it was bigger and brighter. They seem to be fairly small and not too bright. For me, a fluorescent jacket or shirt is easier to see. (yellow or orange).

I have thought for many years that I would like and would enjoy road cycling, but the fear of the cars is what stops me. My hats off to all you that do not have such a fear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2016, 02:02 PM
 
Location: NC
6,248 posts, read 4,388,958 times
Reputation: 6970
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
He RAN OVER two bicyclists he was either completely no paying attention, just didn't care, possibly drunk (we won't know that since he left the scene) or didn't have his lights on at that time of night which makes it really hard to see. I see so many people at that time of night with no lights on and it's ANNOYING.

I should have been on that road in that location at that time last night but went a different way.
Well, I don't have all the facts, but I do know that the person driving had 18 prior arrests. Some were for violent acts. I can't find the details now, but a friend shared with me, including the account of each arrest. He was no model citizen. (That does not prove anything, but sure sets the stage for what might have happened)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
The other day I was driving out towards Jordan Lake and there was a bicyclist with a blinking red light and the one thing I thought at the time is that I wish it was bigger and brighter. They seem to be fairly small and not too bright. For me, a fluorescent jacket or shirt is easier to see. (yellow or orange).

I have thought for many years that I would like and would enjoy road cycling, but the fear of the cars is what stops me. My hats off to all you that do not have such a fear.
Couple things I find that helps:
Front light should be a bright, LED light that blinks. It helps distinguish from other road users. You can actually have two, one solid, so you can see, and the other blinking, so you are seen. You can buy super cheap on Amazon these days. The MagicShine, and all the similar knock-offs are under $35. I use those when I ride at off hours, and I ALWAYS keep a battery operated light on my bars, in case I find myself riding in dark, or bad weather when unplanned.

For the back, a strobing, blinking red light. Some of the strobing ones are REALLY bright. Two is better than one.

Clothing: I always wear Chartreuse if I know I"ll be on the road. It's the most visible. Great idea to buy shoes, and/or helmet/and or cloths with some reflective parts. My shoes all have them, as do most of my coats and vests. My helmet does not....

In my experience, when I ride with visible clothing and lights, I am treated much better by motorists. My guess is that when people have time to see you, process you, and plan on how to pass (or not pass), they are much calmer, and it's a better situation for everyone. There is still the occasional A-H driver, but far less than some others report.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2016, 02:02 PM
 
Location: Cary, NC
2,772 posts, read 3,721,850 times
Reputation: 2918
Guy sounds like a real winner...half a dozen convictions for DWI, eluding arrest, etc. He pulled into a cul-de-sac to remove one of their bikes from his windshield before driving off.

One of the victims was Cary's transportation director...she's in critical condition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2016, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Cary, NC
1,106 posts, read 681,975 times
Reputation: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
My guess is that when people have time to see you, process you, and plan on how to pass (or not pass), they are much calmer, and it's a better situation for everyone. There is still the occasional A-H driver, but far less than some others report.
True words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2016, 02:22 PM
 
Location: My House
32,373 posts, read 26,518,624 times
Reputation: 24128
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
I renewed my license yesterday. Did it on-line. No eye test, no fact-knowledge test. Pay the fee, get the renewal.

.
Would not be that hard to flash a few bits of info onto the screen and make people acknowledge them before renewing online, either.
__________________
When in doubt, check it out: FAQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2016, 02:23 PM
 
Location: My House
32,373 posts, read 26,518,624 times
Reputation: 24128
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Guy sounds like a real winner...half a dozen convictions for DWI, eluding arrest, etc. He pulled into a cul-de-sac to remove one of their bikes from his windshield before driving off.

One of the victims was Cary's transportation director...she's in critical condition.
Oh my!

That's awful. Yeah... I don't think sharrows would make a difference in this case.

Or bike lanes. Sounds like he might've driven right into that one and mowed those people over.

__________________
When in doubt, check it out: FAQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:23 AM.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top