Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 03:13 PM

22,640 posts, read 36,603,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Guy sounds like a real winner...half a dozen convictions for DWI, eluding arrest, etc. He pulled into a cul-de-sac to remove one of their bikes from his windshield before driving off.

OMG, reminds of a claim I had once where our insured hit a pedestrian and witnesses said he swerved his car from side to side to get the body off his hood before leaving the scene. Inhuman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 06:27 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,531,088 times
Morrisville man arrested for 18th time, charged with seriously injuring 2 cyclists

Morrisville man arrested for 18th time, charged with seriously injuring 2 cyclists | WNCN

Gee, I wish they would list the judges involved...

Old 10-18-2016, 09:47 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,700,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
Morrisville man arrested for 18th time, charged with seriously injuring 2 cyclists

Morrisville man arrested for 18th time, charged with seriously injuring 2 cyclists | WNCN

Gee, I wish they would list the judges involved...
Assuming that those are all driving related arrests -- how in the world is he still driving after 18 of them?!

This is one of the reasons why I fear road cycling at times in Morrisville. It's pretty much a requirement to be on some dangerous no-shoulder roads there due to various disconnects in that areas greenway system.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:19 PM

6,650 posts, read 5,552,171 times
The only place I feel comfortable road cycling here is ITB Raleigh where speed limits are lower and people actually expect bikers to be on the roads.

Old 10-22-2016, 09:16 AM

2,818 posts, read 1,540,383 times
I think sharrows are just confusing. Also, perhaps irrelevant to safety?

New study finds that sharrows don't do anything for cycling safety : TreeHugger

Old 10-22-2016, 10:07 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,054,639 times
As someone who bikes and obeys traffic laws, I find the "silly marks on the roads" comment to be troubling. This is especially true in light of the woman who was recently hit by a hit-and-run driver and left for dead on a road in Cary.
These "silly marks" are part infrastructure to identify safe routes and direction for cyclists, part public education for motorists to be aware of cyclists on the road and part reinforcement that cyclists have the same rights and responsibilities on the road as any other vehicle.
Sharrows are typically used on preferred cycling routes when the route encounters a lane width that will not accept a separate bike lane. It's not a perfect solution but it's valuable.
Finally, every single person who does not add a car to the road is doing all the drivers a favor by not adding to their woes, especially on Interstates where many cars eventually find themselves. Cyclists, walkers, public transportation riders and telecommuters are doing their part in reducing congestion on roads and in parking lots. I think that the benefits of cyclists outweighs any inconvenience that a driver might have navigating around them.

Old 10-22-2016, 02:02 PM

17,699 posts, read 15,402,782 times
Sadly, a lot of drivers ignore those sharrows. That doesn't make sharrows a bad thing, but nothing beats dedicated bike lanes. Look what happened to the 2 (of 4) cyclists riding on High House Rd in Cary last week. Two hit, one (ironically a transportation director for Town of Cary) is on life support, not expected to make it, according to news reports.

Cary bills itself as a "cycling friendly community," with a sign that says just that on Hwy 54/Chapel Hill Rd, one of the most dangerous places to ride a bike with no room for a bike at all.

I'd rather money get spent on creating dedicated cycling lanes than painting white stencils that drivers ignore anyway.

Old 10-22-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Sadly, a lot of drivers ignore those sharrows. That doesn't make sharrows a bad thing, but nothing beats dedicated bike lanes. Look what happened to the 2 (of 4) cyclists riding on High House Rd in Cary last week. Two hit, one (ironically a transportation director for Town of Cary) is on life support, not expected to make it, according to news reports.

Cary bills itself as a "cycling friendly community," with a sign that says just that on Hwy 54/Chapel Hill Rd, one of the most dangerous places to ride a bike with no room for a bike at all.

I'd rather money get spent on creating dedicated cycling lanes than painting white stencils that drivers ignore anyway.
Cary is a bike friendly community at the lowest level "Bronze" (from the League of American Bicyclists) - so many towns/cities have that designation that it almost means nothing. Higher levels require more dedicated bike lanes and lower accident rates. Carrboro is the only community in NC at a "Silver" level. Madison, WI, Fort Collins/Boulder, CO, Portland, OR and Davis, CA are the 5 cities at the highest level "Platinum".

Old 10-22-2016, 07:56 PM

11,202 posts, read 8,246,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Cary is a bike friendly community at the lowest level "Bronze" (from the League of American Bicyclists) - so many towns/cities have that designation that it almost means nothing. Higher levels require more dedicated bike lanes and lower accident rates. Carrboro is the only community in NC at a "Silver" level. Madison, WI, Fort Collins/Boulder, CO, Portland, OR and Davis, CA are the 5 cities at the highest level "Platinum".
I just got back from Boulder, CO last night. What an amazing biking system they have there. Just from casual observation, you can easily get from Boulder to Denver and/or Golden with dedicated lanes, and options to go just about everywhere. I was truly amazed.

Raleigh (Triangle) is pretty good for an Eastern City, especially in the south, but they are doing amazing things in places like Colorado.

Old 10-23-2016, 12:00 PM

Another incident: Officials: Bicyclist hit by car, killed in Apex :: WRAL.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary