Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2016, 07:12 PM

1,231 posts, read 3,150,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
Well that, too.

Apparently chellemi808 hasn't read this entire thread where someone posted about filling all 4 cars they owned, their boat that they don't intend to use anymore this season, their riding lawn mower and 4 six-gallon gas cans. I've also seen people posting about it doing similar things on FB.
Most people don't care about anyone but themselves. Survival of the fittest I guess. What can you do?

Old 09-19-2016, 07:19 PM

4,551 posts, read 3,752,342 times
Looks like the national news this weekend was not enough to distract from this gas issue. Is this even that serious, what if all the gas is back tomorrow evening?

In the community room at work today where we have a huge TV, the channel is always on CNN and we had breaking news that the NJ/NY terrorist was captured alive for questioning. And all day everyone was so disinterested in what happened and would just say, "What happened to the gas?"

Old 09-19-2016, 07:27 PM

1,231 posts, read 3,150,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Looks like the national news this weekend was not enough to distract from this gas issue. Is this even that serious, what if all the gas is back tomorrow evening?

In the community room at work today where we have a huge TV, the channel is always on CNN and we had breaking news that the NJ/NY terrorist was captured alive for questioning. And all day everyone was so disinterested in what happened and would just say, "What happened to the gas?"
Unfortunately, these terror related events are becoming so common that people become immune to them. Until something happens to them, the places the work or live; people just brush it off as "it wont happen to me". I don't want to turn this into a political thread so I will stop at that before I go off.

Old 09-19-2016, 07:40 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,541,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman78 View Post
Unfortunately, these terror related events are becoming so common that people become immune to them. Until something happens to them, the places the work or live; people just brush it off as "it wont happen to me". I don't want to turn this into a political thread so I will stop at that before I go off.
I think it's more sphere of influence. Everyone is so busy these days that something has to give. For me, that is national and international news. I don't have the time to stay caught up and informed so I worry about things that are in my sphere of influence, my job, my family, making sure the children get to and from all their activities. When that is done there is little time of energy to worry about the rest of the world.

Old 09-19-2016, 07:50 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Does anyone know if this could effect school buses? I assume they run on diesel. Would the shortage have any effect on diesel?
A student already tweeted wcpss asking this question - the buses run on diesel and they have stockpiles of fuel. Teachers won't be able to get to school but the buses will be rolling.

Old 09-19-2016, 07:52 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post

A lot of this depends entirely on your frame of reference. If you've never been affected by a terrorist attack, it tends to seem very "exotic" and not something that will affect you. There's also a tendency to see things like as an "attack on NY" not our country or way of life in general.

Old 09-19-2016, 07:53 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
I think it's more sphere of influence. Everyone is so busy these days that something has to give. For me, that is national and international news. I don't have the time to stay caught up and informed so I worry about things that are in my sphere of influence, my job, my family, making sure the children get to and from all their activities. When that is done there is little time of energy to worry about the rest of the world.
I remember that stage of my life where family needs took up all my time..
I do hope you are getting informed about the up coming election
because that is in your sphere of influence and will have
a great impact on the future of our country...

Old 09-19-2016, 07:56 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
A student already tweeted wcpss asking this question - the buses run on diesel and they have stockpiles of fuel. Teachers won't be able to get to school but the buses will be rolling.
I guess that this is the only time that VW TDI owners have been happy in the last year.

Old 09-19-2016, 07:58 PM

6,378 posts, read 5,494,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman78 View Post
T[b]his is non issue unless you can't work from home [/B]or really need to go out (emergency). Life will go on and the pipe will be fixed Friday. You will never remember this little blip in your life. One week in the house, no big deal there is nothing you can do. Ask a friend, neighbor or Uber if you really need to go out and don't have gas. Hopefully this will reduce traffic for a week.
That's a lot more people than you seem to think.....probably most people.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:08 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
Apparently chellemi808 hasn't read this entire thread where someone posted about filling all 4 cars they owned, their boat that they don't intend to use anymore this season, their riding lawn mower and 4 six-gallon gas cans. I've also seen people posting about it doing similar things on FB.
Who said I wasn't planning on using the boat anymore this season? Not I. I will probably go out fishing next week. I also stated I added fuel stabilizer, like I always do, to the boat and the cans so no worry of the fuel going bad within the next year. The cans were empty and needed filling anyway. The boat was only half full. It's bad to let a fuel tank sit for an extended time not topped off because the void space allows moisture to accumulate. The mower needed to be filled as well. There, does that make some of y'all ethics police feel better? I justified my "needs" for filling my stuff with gas.

But ethics aside, there was no time frame as to how long the repair could take. My and my families livelihood depends on my job which I have no choice but to drive to. It's not my fault some of y'all didn't prepare because you either wanted to "do the right thing" or didn't want to be accused of going into a panic. Sorry, but you screwed up. So either stay home or go wait in the long lines for gas. I'll be sure I wave as I pass by.

And actually the truth of the matter is I filled up my crap with gas I paid for with money that I earned and will continue to do so and none of y'all can't do a thing about it. So nah-nah-nee-boo-boo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary