Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 05:57 PM

799 posts, read 3,219,040 times

Advertisements

Any "Pick Your Own" kind of farms in Wake or neighboring counties? Don't mind a small road trip, but it's one of the things we've come to love about the Piedmont in general. Strawberry, peach, anything? Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2016, 06:03 PM

494 posts, read 813,516 times
I go to Vollmer Farm in Bunn for strawberries, blueberries and blackberries. But none are in season at the moment. They have pumpkins in the fall. Vollmer Farm - Vollmer Farm

Old 09-17-2016, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbeckster View Post
I go to Vollmer Farm in Bunn for strawberries, blueberries and blackberries. But none are in season at the moment. They have pumpkins in the fall. Vollmer Farm - Vollmer Farm
Perfect! *jumps for joy* I could just hug you!

Old 09-17-2016, 06:22 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,250,934 times
There are tons in Durham, Chatham, and Orange Counties. The berries are the most popular for pick your own (strawberries, and blueberries, and some blackberries), but some places do pick your own grapes or apples, pumpkins, etc. They do a big farm tour in April every year through the Carolina Farm Stewardship Association. https://www.carolinafarmstewards.org/pft/

BTW, I know the Triad likes to use "piedmont" as a nickname, but the piedmont is a very large geographic area stretching from Alabama to New Jersey. Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill all the way down to Charlotte are all in the piedmont. If you move to Raleigh, you'll still be in the piedmont and you'll still see lots of things using that word. The farm tour I mentioned is the Piedmont Farm Tour and it's centered around Durham, Orange, and Chatham counties.

We have one of the most vibrant local food scenes in NC. Lots and lots of fantastic local farms and great farm to table restaurants. I'm sure you will find gobs of places for you to pick your own. Do you know about the NC farm fresh pick your own website? http://ncfarmfresh.com/farms.asp I'm not sure if it lists every farm, but it lists a bunch. You can also ask at the local farmer's markets, like the Western Wake Farmer's Mkt, if they do pick your own.

Old 09-17-2016, 06:36 PM

9,766 posts, read 15,721,918 times
My favorite site for finding pick-your-own crops is www.pickyourown.org. You need to double-check some of the listings because sometimes these farms close down or change their crops, etc. Here are their listings for the Triangle area:

Triangle area of North Carolina Triangle area of North Carolina U-Pick farms: Find a pick your own farm near you in Triangle area of North Carolina for fruit, vegetables, pumpkins, organic foods,local produce and more!

Old 09-17-2016, 06:36 PM

Thank you poppydog, that's really great info!

Old 09-17-2016, 11:06 PM

2,924 posts, read 3,326,418 times
In Cary/Apex there is DJ's Berry Patch. They are open for u-pick strawberries in the spring and they also sell pumpkins in the fall.

Strawberry Farm - DJ's Berry Patch Apex NC

Old 09-19-2016, 05:34 AM

494 posts, read 813,516 times
If you are looking to pick apples and do not want to go to the mountains, there is Millstone Creek Orchards - Millstone Creek in Ramseur, NC.

Old 09-19-2016, 06:30 PM

Default -- woot ---

All wonderful tips guys! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Old 09-20-2016, 08:43 AM

547 posts, read 772,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbeckster View Post
If you are looking to pick apples and do not want to go to the mountains, there is Millstone Creek Orchards - Millstone Creek in Ramseur, NC.
How it this place? When's the best month to go?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary