Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 08:29 PM

61 posts, read 54,753 times

Advertisements

The school district hasn't updated its website yet to list the new projects that are post 2013 bond issue. They'll get around to it eventually, I suppose. That's why I linked in the prior post to the recent assignment plan PDF that showed the list of new schools opening in the new few years.

As I mentioned before, nothing is set for charter schools past 2017. The deadline to submit applications for charters that want to open in 2018 just recently passed. DPI hasn't posted them online yet. Even then, those applicants still have to get approved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 06:40 AM

799 posts, read 3,227,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRaleighite View Post
If you view pages 4-6 of this PDF you'll see the new Wake County school system schools scheduled to open on the horizon: https://eboard.eboardsolutions.com/M...62574&MID=2684

For new middle schools, Pine Hollow Middle in northwest Raleigh opened this year. River Bend Middle in northeast Raleigh is opening in 2017. Apex Friendship Middle is opening in 2018 in Apex. Alston Ridge Middle is opening in 2019 in Cary.

For new high schools, a new CTE high school focused on teaching kids job skills opens in 2017 in Wake Forest at where Wakefield High's ninth-grade center used to be. South Garner High opens for real in 2018 after the Garner High kids who are temporarily there are gone. Green Level Hope opens for real in 2019.

No one will be assigned to Green Level until 2019. It will only be used by Apex High students during the 2017-18 and 2018-19 school years while their campus is renovated.

Forgot to mention the charter schools. Four could open in Wake County in 2017: Cardinal Charter Academy in Knightdale, Peak Charter Academy in Apex, Pine Springs Preparatory Academy in Holly Springs and Rolesville Charter Academy. I think they're all planning to open K-6 in 2017 and add seventh and eighth grades moving forward. The state hasn't approved any charter schools for after 2017 yet.
Exceptional information NYRaleighite! Jackpot! The NW area (Pine Hollow) is one area we are looking at, due to hubby's transfer.

Old 09-20-2016, 05:57 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,945,130 times
I heard somewhere that Cisco donated land that Morrisville is going to build a school on...does anyone know anything about that? Not sure if its just a rumor or based in fact.

Old 09-20-2016, 09:02 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,989,186 times
"Morrisville" the town can't build a school.

There's been a group trying to open a charter high school in Morrisville, but they were just denied for the third time. They're now apparently trying to open as a private school and convert to charter later if possible. I'm not aware of any Cisco link with them though.

Kaleidoscope High School

Old 09-21-2016, 10:43 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,985,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
"Morrisville" the town can't build a school.

There's been a group trying to open a charter high school in Morrisville, but they were just denied for the third time. They're now apparently trying to open as a private school and convert to charter later if possible. I'm not aware of any Cisco link with them though.

Kaleidoscope High School
Any idea why they keep getting denied as a charter?

Old 09-21-2016, 11:38 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeg4sushi View Post
Where would I even start to look for such information? WCPSS?
If you want to know about schools in Wake county, of COURSE you would start with WCPSS. Where did you expect would be a better source than "the horse's mouth"?

Old 09-21-2016, 12:28 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,584,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkaMcKirk View Post
Not sure about this one but one of the Raleigh applicants did because the business plan wasn't solid. The idea and premise were great but the business plan needed work so it failed.

Old 09-21-2016, 12:33 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,989,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkaMcKirk View Post
There have been continuing concerns about lack of specificity in their applications. Also some concerns about low proposed teacher pay and numerous typos on the applications leaving poor impressions on review board members.

Old 09-21-2016, 06:30 PM

61 posts, read 54,753 times
Ibeg4sushi, glad I could help. While it's always good to ask the district, getting info isn't always the easiest thing to do.

About Kaleidoscope, they're applying again to the state to open as a charter school in 2018. I'm not sure how that affects the announcement on the website about planning to open in 2017 as a private school.

In terms of why the application was rejected again, you can see some discussion in these articles:
Morrisville's Kaleidoscope Charter High School rejected by NC Board of Education | News & Observer
State Board of Education rejects twenty charter school applications – The Progressive Pulse
NC rejects two Wake County charter-school applications | News & Observer

The school has had a problem getting its applications filled out completely despite multiple tries. They had the back luck of finally getting recommended in a split vote by the advisory board in a year where anything short of unanimous recommendations had a hard time getting approved by the state.

Old 09-22-2016, 06:27 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
There's a good bit of information here:

Facilities Design and Construction / Map of Projects
Great webpage! Don't forget to click on Current Building Program on the left to get the 2016 data. I am amazed to note that most of the building is along the NC 540/Triangle Expressway. And how expensive these schools are to build. But better a good build now than a decaying school in 20 yrs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary