Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 07:13 AM

307 posts, read 672,521 times

Advertisements

I dealt with a cell phone repair company here for years that provided great customer service. They went out of the way to help, and they didn't charge the standard pricing on their price list if you didn't need the service. They've gotten so big and successful that they've turned their repair services into a conveyor belt.

I'll spare the details, but I need someone to replace the LCD on an iPhone 6 and remove the access code (which we have) so that we can back the phone up. The twist is, I don't want to buy a new LCD or glass since the phone is being replaced by SquareTrade.

I've been in electronics repair for many years, so I know how simple this request is. Hopefully someone is in Cary who will work with me on this unusual request and, in exchange, gain a new customer for our seven phones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 07:35 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,543,088 times
You can't just remove the access code. If it was that easy, the FBI wouldn't have tried taking Apple to court over it.

Old 09-20-2016, 08:13 AM

307 posts, read 672,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
You can't just remove the access code. If it was that easy, the FBI wouldn't have tried taking Apple to court over it.
That's not the question. If the screen worked, it would be a trivial matter to enter the access code, "which we have" as posted above, and then remove the code altogether. The FBI is not needed on this one.

Old 09-20-2016, 08:21 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,671,849 times
You can remove the access code by reflashing the drive and resetting the whole device. The FBI wanted to get into the phone so they can get the data.

Spend the $10-20 and get a good case. I see way too many people use iPhones without a case. It is designed to slip out of your hands. Apple designed form over function and made their phones super slippery and easy to scratch, dent, and crack. Get a good protection case and a film and you don't have to shell out the $75-200 to repair the thing,

Old 09-20-2016, 08:23 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,220,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcp6453 View Post
That's not the question. If the screen worked, it would be a trivial matter to enter the access code, "which we have" as posted above, and then remove the code altogether. The FBI is not needed on this one.
I assume access code equals passcode?

Have you taken it to the Apple Store to see if they'll help you at all?

If all you need is to back up a phone that's being replaced by your SquareTrade warranty, maybe they will help you.

Old 09-20-2016, 08:31 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,543,088 times
Quote:
OH ok I misunderstood.

Old 09-20-2016, 10:47 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,255,863 times
Quote:
I've been in electronics repair for many years, so I know how simple this request is. Hopefully someone is in Cary who will work with me on this unusual request and, in exchange, gain a new customer for our seven phones.
If it were simple you could do it yourself - no?

Old 09-20-2016, 10:56 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,533,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
You can remove the access code by reflashing the drive and resetting the whole device. The FBI wanted to get into the phone so they can get the data.

Spend the $10-20 and get a good case. I see way too many people use iPhones without a case. It is designed to slip out of your hands. Apple designed form over function and made their phones super slippery and easy to scratch, dent, and crack. Get a good protection case and a film and you don't have to shell out the $75-200 to repair the thing,
You can buy Speck cases at Marshalls or TJ Maxx for $10-$12. They are normally $35 at Target.

Old 09-20-2016, 11:34 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,220,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

I use cases, but no way do I see the point in a screen protector. I wear diamond earrings and manage to maybe, maybe get a wee tiny scratch or group of scratches after a year of use (I upgrade yearly) and those are those ones that you cannot see unless you hold it up the light at JUST the right angle.

Nooo... the screen is one of the most gorgeous elements of the phone. I totally am with you on the case, though. I use cases that will withstand drops, but are still not bulky. Because bulk really defeats the point.

Old 09-20-2016, 11:43 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,580,152 times
There was a great video on youtube by Louis Rossmann about this topic.

Basically the answer is Apple pushed all the independent repair shops out of the business, by increasing the cost of parts for 3rd parties, with each generation of the iphone apple has increased the price of the screen/glass to the point where a independent shop cannot match the price apple stores charge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: