Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 06:59 AM

3,666 posts, read 6,548,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I'm amazed at the assumptions being made about this woman. Or maybe I'm not....
Really? I mean, you've been on City Data long enough, why would the redirection of any thread surprise you at this point? We collectively never answer the question, we generally pummel the original poster into oblivion for not anticipating all of the details every single member of the forum audience desires.

I cringe whenever I see a thread that involves someone showing any interest in teaching in North Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 08:13 AM

12,798 posts, read 16,221,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
MS is middle school.
Ahhh, that makes sense! Thanks for the clarification.

Old 09-22-2016, 10:16 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,564,284 times
It all depends on your standards of living but housing in that area is on the rise. However I'm sure you already know that and the schools in Wake Co tend to be fairly good as a whole.

Old 09-22-2016, 12:26 PM

22,618 posts, read 36,540,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Really? I mean, you've been on City Data long enough, why would the redirection of any thread surprise you at this point? We collectively never answer the question, we generally pummel the original poster into oblivion for not anticipating all of the details every single member of the forum audience desires.

I cringe whenever I see a thread that involves someone showing any interest in teaching in North Carolina.
Yes and I guess I'm an idiot for not raising my own three kids in a 6000 square foot McMansion. I guess I'll pony up for therapy later.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:33 PM

10 posts, read 16,891 times
I appreciate all the suggestions. Yes, I have done my due diligence and have looked up salary comparison from where I'm coming from...it's all been checked. Also, I am not necessarily looking to buy a house, but not opposed either. (Though my question wasn't really having to do with available housing)

I appreciate the comments about contacting principals but that the online application still needed to be filled out. Thanks! I'll start in that direction. Also, I appreciate the comment about Chapel Hill teachers getting the option to have their kids attend even if they don't live in district zones...I use that perk where I'm coming from already and it is nice.

Any commenters know about the new schools opening up and how hard it may be to get one of those spots or if they are overly competitive places everyone wants to go to??

Old 09-22-2016, 09:01 PM

6 posts, read 6,258 times
Wake County (especially the better parts) has gotten more expensive over the last 5 years. You should rethink.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:03 PM

510 posts, read 896,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mother2threekids View Post
I appreciate all the suggestions. Yes, I have done my due diligence and have looked up salary comparison from where I'm coming from...it's all been checked. Also, I am not necessarily looking to buy a house, but not opposed either. (Though my question wasn't really having to do with available housing)

I appreciate the comments about contacting principals but that the online application still needed to be filled out. Thanks! I'll start in that direction. Also, I appreciate the comment about Chapel Hill teachers getting the option to have their kids attend even if they don't live in district zones...I use that perk where I'm coming from already and it is nice.

Any commenters know about the new schools opening up and how hard it may be to get one of those spots or if they are overly competitive places everyone wants to go to??
I was told the principal can bring a certain percentage of teachers/staff from his/her old school. There are "internal" job postings too.....As others have said the principals really run the school. So if you get a new school with a principal with a really good reputation, I would think it would be harder to get in....but generally you should not have a problem getting hired somewhere.

My concern would be the cost of housing. Be sure to check rental prices. Also just cost of living-general expenses. Water was a real shock for me. My bill is around $100 month. I think that is included if you rent an apartment, but not with a house.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:14 PM

61 posts, read 54,337 times
If you do get hired by Wake County, you can get your kids assigned to the school you teach at whether or not you live in the district. They'll also typically assign your kids to a school on the same calendar you work on if they don't go to your school.

You've probably already seen it, but this could be of interest to others on the forum. Here are the salary schedules in Wake:
http://www.wcpss.net/cms/lib/NC01911...02016-2017.pdf

Wake pays, on average, the highest teacher salary supplement in the state.

I'm editing this post because I forgot to add something in it. If you're moving to Wake County for the 2017-18 school year, the new schools are the CTE high school in Wake Forest, River Bend Middle in Raleigh, Hortons Creek Elementary in Cary and Rogers Lane Elementary in Raleigh. Don't hold me to it, but I think principals can take up to 20 percent of their current staff with them when they move to a new school.

Last edited by NYRaleighite; 09-22-2016 at 09:20 PM.. Reason: New content

Old 09-23-2016, 07:52 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,756,657 times
Just curious, what is the 'local supplement' all about. Is the base salary dictated by the state and 'local' (county/city) can add incentives ?

Old 09-23-2016, 08:08 AM

1,566 posts, read 1,109,072 times
Other options to consider:

Teaching a charter school. There are many opportunities there that may not be limited by the WCPSS. My wife works at Longleaf School of the Arts in downtown Raleigh next to Marbles and loves it there. An excellent staff.

Consider looking for a place in Garner. Half the real estate costs with all the big amenities of Raleigh. We have lived here 22 years and absolutely love it. 8 minutes from downtown Raleigh and home price is half. Not to mention the people are incredibly friendly and diverse. An excellent environment for kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary