Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 12:20 PM

748 posts, read 1,371,118 times

Advertisements

The standard coverage for an annual checkup is based on your age. There is a list somewhere on line that shows what all insurance plans must cover for blood work and if you are age appropriate, a mammogram and colonoscopy are covered. These type of services should not vary depending on the insurance you have, unless you are on Medicare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 04:15 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,857,274 times
Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet
PS - I don't know what you mean by the term "panel doctors."
Doctors and/or clinics recognized by your insurance coverage, I believe the vernacular here is within network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet
Just thought of something else for the OP. When I go for my annual check-up, I request the blood draws before my appointment, and we go over the results during my appointment.

If I waited until the appointment to get the doctor's referral for blood work, he/she would not have the results for several days. Assuming nothing is wrong, some physicians will call to tell you that nothing is wrong, but mostly they have a 'we only call if something is wrong' policy.

That makes sense.
In the scenario I just faced, they would have done a basic blood test, then the doctor appointment, then a more detailed blood test, then another doctor's appointment. If something is wrong, it might take a week to find out. And 2 blood tests.

Thanks also for the Dukes reference, that looks good as they do urgent and primary under the same roof and are covered by my insurance.

Directlabs looks good, the test I saw was nearly $700. This is another: http://www.lifeextension.com/Vitamin...ts/Blood-Tests

Old 09-22-2016, 05:28 PM

1,527 posts, read 1,473,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Just thought of something else for the OP. When I go for my annual check-up, I request the blood draws before my appointment, and we go over the results during my appointment.

If I waited until the appointment to get the doctor's referral for blood work, he/she would not have the results for several days. Assuming nothing is wrong, some physicians will call to tell you that nothing is wrong, but mostly they have a 'we only call if something is wrong' policy. Through Duke, I can look at the results online.

This page from Mayo Clinic will give you an idea of what you can expect from an annual exam in the USA. Without risk factors, many physicians have eliminated the urinalysis.
Duke posts lab outcomes and your doctor's comments on their My Chart system. Many post within 24 hours.

Of course, if anything is abnormal, your MD will call at once.

Duke is in our plan, and we love the care we get there. Duke Urgent Care is across the hall from 8AM to 8PM 365 days a year if you need to be seen at once.

Old 09-22-2016, 06:02 PM

253 posts, read 233,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
Duke posts lab outcomes and your doctor's comments on their My Chart system. Many post within 24 hours.

Of course, if anything is abnormal, your MD will call at once.

Duke is in our plan, and we love the care we get there. Duke Urgent Care is across the hall from 8AM to 8PM 365 days a year if you need to be seen at once.
On the other hand, regular blood tests cost me a small fortune last year when I got them done at a Duke primary location. Apparently they were significantly more expensive processed through duke with my health insurance than if they had been processed by Quest (or Labcorp or whoever). So check on that in advance.

Old 09-22-2016, 06:48 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,583,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiacat View Post
On the other hand, regular blood tests cost me a small fortune last year when I got them done at a Duke primary location. Apparently they were significantly more expensive processed through duke with my health insurance than if they had been processed by Quest (or Labcorp or whoever). So check on that in advance.
My primary care doctor became part of the Duke system last year and I noticed a SIGNIFICANT increase in both fees and the charge for lab work. At first I was pleased that they were able to draw my blood right there in the office and save me a trip to LabCorp. That pleased feeling went away once I got the bill.

Old 09-22-2016, 06:57 PM

3,225 posts, read 3,512,193 times
Also, with my insurance either quest or lab Corp is in network and the other is not. Be sure you have them order from the right lab or it will cost a fortune due to the ridiculous pricing of medical costs in this country.

For the in network provider, the standard CBC might be charged at $700. The insurer reimburses the lab about $75 and forgives the rest as the amount was above reasonable and customary reimbursement limits for those tests. [Or you pay 10% of the allowed amount]

The out of network lab would be reimbursed $75 and try to charge you for the balance (or have it applied to your deductible).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary