Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 01:51 PM

2 posts, read 1,368 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are retired professionals who need to find a furnished short-term rental in the South Durham/Chapel Hill area for Jan. - Feb., 2017. We would prefer a house to an apartment. We've spent a lot of time on Zillow, Trulia and Realtor.com as well as vacation rental sites and AirBnB with little luck.

Any suggestions? How does one identify real estate companies that would manage furnished short-term rentals?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 02:09 PM

19,385 posts, read 27,654,653 times
You're going to be very, very limited for furnished and only 2 months.

I'm surprised that you haven't found something on VRBO or airbnb or homeaway. Are you being picky? Or are you bringing pets? Expand your search to other neighboring cities.

I would not expect to find ANY furnished rentals for 2 months listed on zillow, Trulia or realtor.com, and I think you're wasting your time with those searches.

Google 'corporate housing' and you'll get some options but it won't be what you've got in mind. But I suspect it's the best you're going to find given your specific requirements.

I've never heard of real estate companies that specialize in short term furnished rentals in this area. Many apartment complexes will arrange for rented furniture, but generally the minimum rental period for the apartment is 3 months.

Old 09-22-2016, 02:18 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,250,934 times
Do you have a budget? There are several short term furnished rentals in Chapel Hill, but I'm not sure how much they run. I know there's a house in Southern Village that gets rented out, but it might be prohibitive for 2 months. Try googling sabbatical homes and that might get you something.

Old 09-22-2016, 02:35 PM

333 posts, read 285,867 times
When I needed a furnished rental in the same area for February and March 2015, I finally gave up and stayed in an extended stay hotel. It served my purpose; I had dogs who were allowed; and was convenient and gave me sufficient space. FWIW I stayed at Staybridge Suites in Durham.

Old 09-22-2016, 02:46 PM

422 posts, read 518,072 times
Friends tell me that there is a housing listserv for the Duke University community...Do you know anyone who might help you see sublets that might show up there? I'm guessing that there would be something similar for UNC peeps.

Old 09-22-2016, 03:11 PM

19,385 posts, read 27,654,653 times
Also try Craigslist. I just saw several possibilities there in the sublease section searching for Chapel Hill including this one. I didn't search other cities, but you should.

Old 09-22-2016, 03:14 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,902,994 times
Neighborhood listservs in Durham are your friend. Try durhamhoods.org for examples of them.

You will rarely to never find some of these arrangements on Craigslist but you might on lists. As a personal example, my wife and I have a garage-apartment at our house in Trinity Park; our last tenant just moved out and we will move in sometime in the next 6-8 months when a master bath renovation starts. We will likely provide it semi-furnished for short-term renting/Airbnb before we are ready to move in.

I see posts of this nature every few months on our listserv and others like it (and we'll post ours there when the time comes, e.g.); check out the core Durham neighborhoods that are zoned for and more likely to have in-law apartments, etc. Good luck!

Old 09-22-2016, 07:07 PM

16,371 posts, read 12,363,118 times
A short term rental house will be difficult enough to find, and adding on the furnished requirement will make it even harder. I would suggest broadening your search to include unfurnished rentals and then rent the furniture.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:22 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,860,257 times
Not sure about Durham but in Raleigh there are a few firms like ExecutiveStay, HomeSuiteHome, and one other I can't recall who will do this, but often sublet for a 3-month minimum. Furniture rental places like American Furniture Rentals or Cort have 3-month minimums for populating your apartment as well.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:44 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,250,934 times
There are quite a few short term fully furnished houses in Chapel Hill. There's a website called "Sabbatical Homes" that has listings for several.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary