Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 09:44 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,359,810 times

Advertisements

I would definitely plan further in advance. Even a week would help with finding normal airfare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 05:33 AM

2,584 posts, read 1,860,257 times
Agree and generally I would, a family thing came up suddenly

Old 09-23-2016, 06:11 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,569,777 times
Are your dates flexible? If so I'd look further out...we just booked roundtrip airfare for $200 per person to Boston and it was also the same to NYC based on the sale. Same price for both Delta and JetBlue.

Old 09-23-2016, 06:54 AM

9,766 posts, read 15,721,918 times
Have you looked into Frontier Airlines? They travel from Raleigh to Trenton, NJ. And then you can hop on the NJTransit train into the city (about an hour and a half). The flights are usually pretty cheap, but they only run on certain days, so they'd have to work for you to make sense. And the train is less than $20.

https://www.onetravel.com/travel/spe...ntent=Specials

New Jersey Transit - Home

As someone who doesn't like to fly, I have taken the Amtrak train many times (once took it from CA to DC!). The train is actually quite comfortable, particularly if you are used to airplanes. There is a lot of leg room and you can get up and walk around. I would not get a sleeper car to New York since it's not an overnight. And it's not any more comfortable to sit in the sleeper car; it's only worth it if you want to lay down to sleep and want privacy. Having said all that, the train ride to New York from North Carolina is long and if there is a delay (quite possible), it is even longer. And you would pretty much spend two days traveling, so you'd need longer than a weekend to go there. For a regular weekend, I think your only good option is to fly.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:46 AM

536 posts, read 636,129 times
Depending on your flexibility, you can really get lucky if you check the airlines constantly. They will substantially lower the price on any flights that are coming up in a week or so and are not full. I was able to book Charlotte to Chicago for $85 round-trip on American Airlines, although the flight was at 8:00 AM on a Sunday. The guy next to me on the plane paid $691 for the same flight (he pulled out his ticket reservation)....

Old 09-23-2016, 07:54 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,688,074 times
Check Cheap Tickets. I found several flights there for $262 and change leaving today.

https://www.cheaptickets.com/Flights...ght-Search-All

Old 09-23-2016, 09:33 AM

253 posts, read 233,937 times
Have you got frequent flier miles? At least with Delta, last minute flights are basically the same number of miles if you buy a last minute flight as if you buy them further in advance. I wouldn't take Amtrak from Raleigh, that sounds miserable. It would probably be faster to drive to D.C., park outside the city somewhere, take the metro to union station, and take the Acela from D.C. (which I also probably wouldn't do, because that's still a solid 8 hours).

Old 09-23-2016, 02:44 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,520,642 times
Fly into EWR for sure.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:05 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,860,257 times
Wow, thanks for all the input, quite a community, nice to see the support.

In checking, nothing worked out in the end with the timings I need to be there and to be able to get back here in time for other things.

So next week it is, and the current family crisis is manageable enough to wait until then. Round-trips for two at that time are south of $500, which is not too horrible though more than I would have expected.

I also appreciate the comments on driving because I was ready to do that, but by all accounts here and from friends it's too much for a weekend and unpleasant any time.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:08 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,359,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiacat View Post
Have you got frequent flier miles? At least with Delta, last minute flights are basically the same number of miles if you buy a last minute flight as if you buy them further in advance.
I've taken advantage of this before. Great suggestion. Miles always work out well in emergencies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary