Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 08:21 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,860,257 times

Advertisements

Take 2. Flights for next week. Been playing around with cheapflight, expedia, UA's site for the past 2 hours.

Need to fly into EWR, needs to be Saturday and leave Sunday with enough time to see people in the early part of the days while there. My times and dates are unfortunately not flexible, tried Friday afternoon/eve but that didn't work either costwise or timewise.

Best I can find is with UA for $708. That is just nuts.

Gonna be a long sucky drive....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2016, 08:28 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,218,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
Take 2. Flights for next week. Been playing around with cheapflight, expedia, UA's site for the past 2 hours.

Need to fly into EWR, needs to be Saturday and leave Sunday with enough time to see people in the early part of the days while there. My times and dates are unfortunately not flexible, tried Friday afternoon/eve but that didn't work either costwise or timewise.

$708 for two people isn't crazy. You could have gotten it cheaper had you booked earlier, but a week in advance that's not a terrible price.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:52 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,220,415 times
Usually as long as I book flights about 2 weeks in advance I can fly direct into Newark, NJ on A Friday and leave on a Monday for $190 or less per person Total (fees, taxes etc included). You get hosed if you wait until the week of your trip though.

Old 09-24-2016, 09:27 PM

197 posts, read 207,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
$708 for two people isn't crazy. You could have gotten it cheaper had you booked earlier, but a week in advance that's not a terrible price.
I agree.

Old 09-24-2016, 09:39 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,122,580 times
Quote:

Why must you fly into EWR?

You could fly into LGA or JFK and take a car out there for not too much money, if you had to, no?

Old 09-24-2016, 10:15 PM

6,335 posts, read 5,427,906 times
Quote:

Just to be clear....are you trying to drive up there Saturday and drive back Sunday? Why not just have a couple's weekend waterboarding each other while you're at it?

Ok that may have been a joke in poor taste...but seriously bud; that's a rough drive for a weekend. I was dead-set against buying a plane ticket for what I assumed would be a reasonable drive for a weekend trip and I ate crow the whole way back (the drive back is what kills you).

Flying into JFK from RDU seems to be cheaper than flying into Newark. Newark might be a little closer to Manhattan but a 30 minute subway ride after a 1.5 hour flight still beats the hell out of a 12 hour drive; much of which involves sitting in DC area and NJ traffic.

Old 09-25-2016, 08:39 AM

253 posts, read 233,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Why must you fly into EWR?

You could fly into LGA or JFK and take a car out there for not too much money, if you had to, no?
I think the better question is why must it be United. I've noticed from my work travel they're usually more expensive than the others.

Old 09-25-2016, 09:02 AM

19,385 posts, read 27,654,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I agree. OP, airlines in the US price differently than what you are used to, I'm afraid. Discounts are not so frequent.

That said, don't forget to check Southwest Airlines. They don't participate in any of the sites that you are itilizing. You have to search directly on their website. They fly into newark, la Guardia and (maybe Islip.)

And what about Frontier? But be careful of exyra charges like carry on bag charges.

Old 09-25-2016, 09:19 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,359,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Just to be clear....are you trying to drive up there Saturday and drive back Sunday? Why not just have a couple's weekend waterboarding each other while you're at it?

Ok that may have been a joke in poor taste...but seriously bud; that's a rough drive for a weekend. I was dead-set against buying a plane ticket for what I assumed would be a reasonable drive for a weekend trip and I ate crow the whole way back (the drive back is what kills you).

Flying into JFK from RDU seems to be cheaper than flying into Newark. Newark might be a little closer to Manhattan but a 30 minute subway ride after a 1.5 hour flight still beats the hell out of a 12 hour drive; much of which involves sitting in DC area and NJ traffic.
I agree, this is just a terrible situation to be in. I can't even imagine it. And I too wonder why it was to be Newark.

Old 09-25-2016, 09:54 AM

22,639 posts, read 36,603,028 times
It's difficult to give advice without knowing exactly where you are going - NYC proper, or a surrounding suburb?
There are plenty of other options if you can be flexible Southwest is probably your best bet, maybe flying into MacArthur and training it into the city, fly into JFK and take the AirTrain to Jamaica and then the train into the city. LaGuardia should be avoided, they are doing a massive renovation and people have been seen running up the Grand Central Parkway to catch their flights, not a situation you want to find yourself in.

You could also fly into Philly or take Frontier to Trenton as mentioned. We once flew into Philly, rented a car and drove to LI as the savings for the 5 of us was huge. It wasn't that bad, it's probably 2-2.5 hours Philly to NYC right up the NJ Tpke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary