U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2016, 11:11 AM

5,700 posts, read 8,294,164 times

Advertisements

OP, it's really easy to get into NJ using public transportation - if you can get a cheaper flight to JFK, do it. Look in Philly as well. Trains, buses, subway, PATH train, express airport buses - let us know and we can guide you but DO NOT DRIVE or you will seriously be miserable and possibly miss your event?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2016, 11:21 AM

15,723 posts, read 23,949,403 times
If you drive you'll have to leave Friday night and get a head start. It's not possible to drive up there Saturday, do all you want to do and come back Sunday. You either have to leave Friday or come back Monday. You're talking 9 hours to northern Jersey if everything goes PERFECTLY. And there's very little chance it goes perfectly.

Add in a bridge and/or tunnel crossing to get into NYC proper and....forget it.

Old 09-25-2016, 01:21 PM

875 posts, read 462,302 times
What was originally a casual visit to the NYC area to see friends and an event suddenly turned into a tense family situation, rendering the fun stuff to happen some other time.

Those family are in the NY state area north of NJ, and why EWR (or HCN) is the best destination. JFK/LGA require two bridge and tunnel crossings and add an hour or so to the ordeal.

Thanks again and apologies for what was vague, the resulting situation made things extremely hectic and a bit of a logistical nightmare trying to balance them all at once as they all have equal and non-trivial urgency.

Bit the bullet on a UA flight next weekend as it was, after hours on the various travel and carrier sites, the best price, duration and arrival/departure option, and I was afraid to lose even that as I could see seats disappearing through the process. I think I got 2 of the last 3 on one leg and still don't have seat assignments.

I really appreciate all the input and options.

Old 09-25-2016, 03:29 PM

Definitely the better, although more economically painful option, to take that flight over driving.

Old 09-26-2016, 12:29 PM

828 posts, read 1,483,332 times
EWR is always more $$ than other airports
Not a "perfect option" but cheap and direct and you can sleep - is the Megabus. My daughter has taken it to DC and back and said it's fine

Old 10-02-2016, 09:08 PM

Well, back from that cesspool of an airport EWR in that armpit of the country Newark. While I've been there many times, after living where I lived overseas and where I now live, I don't know why anyone would want to be there unless they had to.

Thanks again for the info, and for the inevitable future upcoming trips there, I am forewarned and forearmed.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:06 PM

Rather than start a new thread this one comes in handy.

Have to do another trip to the same place for the same reasons, just got a 1-way for $137.

I will be (have to, long story) driving back however, so am going to find out for real the pain of this drive.

A friend who drives south from there often although to S. Carolina and Virginia recommended the following route, I would like to see if anyone here has tried this way:

Route 287 South > Route 78 West through Hersey PA, then Route 81, then 64 (he wasn't sure about that)
Said it was better than taking 95 and as it goes through the Shenandoah Valley, very scenic.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:32 PM

I think my husband has done 78 but not as far west as Hershey...not sure how much time you'll save.

A couple of other options are 301 down thru Delaware and pick up I95 past the worst of the traffic.

Or, my husband sometimes takes 66 from the Beltway (DC) to 29 and takes that down thru VA. I think there is another road involved there but other people here can give better info on that as I know others have posted about it.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:33 PM

3,932 posts, read 2,669,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
Rather than start a new thread this one comes in handy.

Have to do another trip to the same place for the same reasons, just got a 1-way for $137.

I will be (have to, long story) driving back however, so am going to find out for real the pain of this drive.

A friend who drives south from there often although to S. Carolina and Virginia recommended the following route, I would like to see if anyone here has tried this way:

Route 287 South > Route 78 West through Hersey PA, then Route 81, then 64 (he wasn't sure about that)
Said it was better than taking 95 and as it goes through the Shenandoah Valley, very scenic.
When we moved from MA we had time to waste before our stuff got here, so we went the long way:

90 -> 84 -> 81 -> 64 -> 85 (or something along those lines)

It's a much easier drive than 95 the whole way, but takes longer obviously.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:38 PM

Thanks. I don't want to add much more time to the trip but did want to avoid the occasional insanity of 95 if it was not to long.

Edit: The friend who told me about this alternate route has not used it for NC so didn't know if it would be faster, but thought it might be by bypassing the DC area

Last edited by Repatriot; 10-30-2016 at 08:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or