Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 09:14 AM

13,635 posts, read 12,266,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpr66 View Post
Did you read the manual? Stage 1,2 and 3 filters need changing every 6 months ($120) with other filters needing changed every couple of years. The real cost of that system is not the system itself or the install!
Makes that Britta pitcher look better and better...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 09:35 AM

19,369 posts, read 27,593,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Makes that Britta pitcher look better and better...
Yep. We only had room for the water purifier OR the instant hot water. We chose the latter, and bought a Brita.

(PS - our neighbors kiked that instant hot water so much that many have done the install as well.)

Old 09-23-2016, 11:51 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,797,694 times
To the OP: You didn't mention if you are the least bit 'handy'.
I'm not a plumber, but like another poster, I feel confident that I could install the above, (using the extra fittings, tubing, valve kit), in 20-30 minutes.
It probably would actually take me longer to clean out under-the-sink than to make the simple tubing connections.

BTW: Note that a RO system does not solve 'all your drinking water problems'. see:
Reverse Osmosis - Pros and Cons

Pesticides and other extremely small molecules (smaller than water), aren't filtered by RO, and some contaminates that cause bad-flavors are only removed by other means (distillation, carbon etc.)

Send a sample of your water off to be tested to give you the confidence of knowing what has to be removed.

Old 09-24-2016, 07:57 AM

54 posts, read 86,405 times
I am the OP... My concern is that it is necessary to drill a hole on the countertop for the purified water facet. Do plumbers normally do that, or I need to find someone else to do it? Thanks!

Old 09-24-2016, 08:14 AM

1,694 posts, read 2,569,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoplim View Post
I am the OP... My concern is that it is necessary to drill a hole on the countertop for the purified water facet. Do plumbers normally do that, or I need to find someone else to do it? Thanks!
An educated guess: it depends on the countertop material. If it is laminate the plumber will do it with a hole saw. If it is stone he will decline, citing risk of cracking. In that case you need a person who sells/installs/repairs that type of material.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:32 AM

19,369 posts, read 27,593,685 times
If you have natural stone countertops (granite, marble, soapstone), Go back and re- read my post.

Unless your prepared to replace the entire countertop or live with a crack, drilling a hole in natural stone risks cracking it. It's an unavoidable risk.

Old 09-24-2016, 10:22 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,515,095 times
Quote:
Dear all,

I am wondering how much it would approximately cost for installing an under-sink water purifier - something like this: APEC Water Systems Essence Premium Quality 5-Stage Under-sink Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water Filter System-ROES-50 - The Home Depot

The builder try to charge me $900 just for installation (not include the filtration system). My gut feeling is that is too much, but I am wondering how much would be a fair price (again, just for installation).

Thanks!
https://youtu.be/e7-aeXD0yvA

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheFilterDoctor/videos

Old 09-24-2016, 10:53 AM

54 posts, read 86,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
If you have natural stone countertops (granite, marble, soapstone), Go back and re- read my post.

Unless your prepared to replace the entire countertop or live with a crack, drilling a hole in natural stone risks cracking it. It's an unavoidable risk.

Thanks a lot for your help. Sounds like I should talk to the builder and see if they can just pre-drill a hole on the granite countertop?

Old 09-24-2016, 12:10 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,515,095 times
Why not a sink top filter system or a whole house filter system? I use the sink top Doulton and am very happy with it.

https://www.amazon.com/DOULTON-W9331.../dp/B009EQO9OE

Old 09-24-2016, 01:53 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,079,583 times
Quote:
Thanks a lot for your help. Sounds like I should talk to the builder and see if they can just pre-drill a hole on the granite countertop?
If you plan to have the install done after you close, I'd request that they get the countertop with a hole already drilled. Also keeps that countertop covered by your warranty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary