Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 04:21 PM

19,361 posts, read 27,571,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
If you plan to have the install done after you close, I'd request that they get the countertop with a hole already drilled. Also keeps that countertop covered by your warranty.
IF they will agree. They MAY insist that to drill the hole, you have to get the whole shebang from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2016, 10:33 PM

34,935 posts, read 36,065,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
IF they will agree. They MAY insist that to drill the hole, you have to get the whole shebang from them.
Yeah.... good point. You can almost buy a whole-house filtration system for 900 bucks. I might just look at doing that if I were the OP and skip the reverse osmosis system.

Old 09-24-2016, 10:40 PM

28,563 posts, read 18,566,859 times
I've done it myself twice, including drilling a granite countertop. I even used carefully shaped copper tubing instead of the plastic tubing. I thought the hole would be more daunting than it really was, but was just a matter of having the right gadget and working carefully.

I admit that I'm a pretty accomplished (ahem) DIYer, but it's not extreme plumbing science.

A plumber will want more than $100, but it's not more than a two-hour job.

Old 09-25-2016, 01:48 AM

2,425 posts, read 3,512,794 times
Tools you will need:

Drill or grinder. No variable speed grinder, buy this

5/8-11 thread to 3/8" shank adapter

Contain water during drill - you could use plumbers putty to make a ring

Water Containment Suction Ring for Wet Core Drilling

Drill bit

https://www.rocketsupply.net/arix-s43-stone-core-bit/ - notice it has diamonds on the barrel to prevent binding.

How to do it.

https://youtu.be/HlfxC5g1zlw

Old 06-24-2018, 01:36 PM

6 posts, read 7,883 times
A plumber should be able to install it in under 30 minutes. I installed mine myself and it did not take me more than 45 minutes. Installing this reverse osmosis system is very easy. I suggest you do it yourself and save some money.

Unwrap the pre-filter cartridges and install them in white housing sumps. There is no orientation for pre-filter cartridges.
Tighten sumps with hand. Membrane should go in membrane housing.

All tubings are color coded.

White-Inlet
Black-Drain
Yellow-Tank
Blue-Faucet

A small 1/4" hole should be drilled in to your drain pipe to fit the drain saddle.
Tank will initially take 1 hour to fill. Flush it completely and then you can use the filter.

Check TDS with a meter and make sure your water filter is working properly.

Old 06-24-2018, 01:38 PM

6 posts, read 7,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Yeah.... good point. You can almost buy a whole-house filtration system for 900 bucks. I might just look at doing that if I were the OP and skip the reverse osmosis system.
Even a whole house filtration system (unless it is a large ro) does not filter water this good.

Old 05-17-2019, 03:00 PM

21 posts, read 71,062 times
I read through all the post but I still don't know what to do. We already have a hole drilled n the countertop plus extra faucet ( new construction )but I don't want to go with the company offering the under sink water service. I tested the water myself. 293 ppm and the hardness stripe showed 1.5 gpg/25ppm. It is in the soft range so I am not getting a water softener. Trying to find a good NSF certified 4/5 stage under the sink reverse osmosis water filtration system with or without mineralization ?? Top tier alkaline ph ? It is so complicated but I guess the minerals are important.

Which NSF certified reverse Osmosis could you recommend. Also....it must be easy to sanitize the tank every six months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary