Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 07:17 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
The parents aren't pissed about that. They are the reason it is traditional - they balked at it when all was said and done. They also balked at having their kids in trailers. Can't have your cake and eat it too - there simply isnt anywhere to put all the kids who live out there and the parents refuse to go YR. WCPSS can't perform magic.
Ah, got it. Any time you mess with schools (especially calendars) you will incite people on both sides of the debate. I don't think any parent is a huge fan of trailers but they've become a necessary solution. I think WCPSS is often in a lose-lose situation, you can never make everyone happy.

That said I'd be pissed if I was on the losing side and am empathetic with those parents. Especially the ones who bought a house specifically to be in that district. It impacts your home's value too and rules out some buyers who only want to buy in x district. While it's never a guarantee it definitely plays a role in the decision making process - when we were looking we ruled out certain homes because of proximity to certain less desirable schools. We sold our last house largely because we didn't like the school districts and it's cheaper to buy a new house in a better district than to pay for 13 years of private schools.

It seems like they should have some sort of "if you purchased your home before we redistricted you can stay. if not, you have to be reassigned" policy. Kind of like how they do capped schools. The burden of course would be on the parents to provide documentation to support that. Then reassign to limit the # of trailers being used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 08:07 AM

168 posts, read 350,088 times
They need to suck it up like the rest of us have for years. I know what it's like to have the holy grail of school assignments to then get moved east because of all the new construction west of us. Not fair but someone needs to move.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:16 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
Ah, got it. Any time you mess with schools (especially calendars) you will incite people on both sides of the debate. I don't think any parent is a huge fan of trailers but they've become a necessary solution. I think WCPSS is often in a lose-lose situation, you can never make everyone happy.

That said I'd be pissed if I was on the losing side and am empathetic with those parents. Especially the ones who bought a house specifically to be in that district. It impacts your home's value too and rules out some buyers who only want to buy in x district. While it's never a guarantee it definitely plays a role in the decision making process - when we were looking we ruled out certain homes because of proximity to certain less desirable schools. We sold our last house largely because we didn't like the school districts and it's cheaper to buy a new house in a better district than to pay for 13 years of private schools.

It seems like they should have some sort of "if you purchased your home before we redistricted you can stay. if not, you have to be reassigned" policy. Kind of like how they do capped schools. The burden of course would be on the parents to provide documentation to support that. Then reassign to limit the # of trailers being used.
I agree to a certain extent but all the people who are getting reassigned are getting reassigned with their brethren. It's not like they are being sent to the hood or even the other side of NC 55.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:15 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,986,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I agree to a certain extent but all the people who are getting reassigned are getting reassigned with their brethren. It's not like they are being sent to the hood or even the other side of NC 55.
But you know they'll get their way. I don't necessarily disagree with them this time. It does suck to split up a neighborhood. Regardless, it happens all the time and you don't hear parents whining and sending out petitions. Preston is divided up between two elementary schools (Weatherstone & Morrisville) and two middle schools (West Cary & Davis Dr), and you don't hear a ton of whining.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:27 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,257,958 times
Why is it ok to live in a trailer but not get educated in one?

Old 09-27-2016, 12:07 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkaMcKirk View Post
But you know they'll get their way. I don't necessarily disagree with them this time. It does suck to split up a neighborhood. Regardless, it happens all the time and you don't hear parents whining and sending out petitions. Preston is divided up between two elementary schools (Weatherstone & Morrisville) and two middle schools (West Cary & Davis Dr), and you don't hear a ton of whining.
I agree but this time people up there are going to get reassigned, and they are all in the same boat - "I moved here because of the schoooooool" and they are going to play hot potato with the issue until the board does what it always does, which is finalize their plan behind closed doors. One cannot blame them. Do you think Cameron Pond is going to lay down and say oh, yes, reassign us instead? Going to be very interesting as people are pitted against their friends.

Old 09-27-2016, 12:14 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,119 times
Correct if I am wrong but didn't they get their way already when school was made traditional instead of multi track, year round?

BTW, to the previous poster we are all in the same district, WCPSS. They may be reassigned to a new school but within the district and honestly part of due diligence when buying a home is investigating the school district and understanding the impact of the massive amount of building west of 55 on your school assignment. New schools are being built to ease overcrowding, yes, reassignments are coming.

Old 09-27-2016, 01:37 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Correct if I am wrong but didn't they get their way already when school was made traditional instead of multi track, year round?

BTW, to the previous poster we are all in the same district, WCPSS. They may be reassigned to a new school but within the district and honestly part of due diligence when buying a home is investigating the school district and understanding the impact of the massive amount of building west of 55 on your school assignment. New schools are being built to ease overcrowding, yes, reassignments are coming.
Sal, I agree it's part of due diligence but I also can empathize with those parents. Sadly not all of the schools in the district are equal or even close. I've toured over a dozen Wake Co schools as part of our due diligence when our child started kindergarten and again when we were considering a house in a different area that we hadn't looked at before. The differences from one to another is sickening...some are so awful that we ruled out as even an option (including our old base) and a few were absolutely amazing. Most were fine. If the parents feel that the new assignment is inferior then they should be protesting it. I would. The other option is private which for most isn't feasible.

When I say inferior I mean one had sparkling clean classrooms with ipads and smartboards with well behaved kids listening attentively. Another school had rundown trailers with chalkboards and zero control of the classroom and the teachers/staff were joking about a lock down the week before. The actual facilities (trailers, old building versus new) weren't my issue with the school...the issue was the lack of control the teachers had and the attitude of the kids.

Old 09-27-2016, 01:46 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,990,141 times
Alston Ridge and Mills Park are both very good schools...are things going to suddenly fall apart when these students suddenly move into a brand spanking new facility? All three schools are projected to have roughly the same academic proficiency numbers after the split. Someone's gotta move.

Old 09-27-2016, 02:19 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
Actually that's why many families choose one house over another. As a mom I'd pay 20k more for a house with a good base school instead of a marginal one.
No one should be able to pay for a better public school. There should be no advantage in which Wake County public school you go to because of how much house you can afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary