Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 08:56 AM

812 posts, read 831,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCANC View Post
Any new school is West Cary will be excellent. Look at White Oak- they got our principal, Robin Swaim who is amazing. She took a good amount of her staff with her- all excellent teachers. I would not worry about any new school in West Cary.
Agree; and no offense to Mr. Swain and his crew, but given the demographics of West Cary (the high incomes and educational attainment of the parents) you are going to have a high achieving student body pretty much no matter who the principal and teachers are. Family socioeconomic status is the leading indicator of student "success".

This thread has recognized the potential benefits and logistical issues of bussing students. What about "bussing" the "best" teachers and administrators? It could be argued that placing the best school personnel in the more struggling schools would be a better use of resources. It's similar to how Malcolm Gladwell argues that if wealthy donors want to really make an impact on higher learning they should give to poorer, less prestigious, more diverse universities as opposed to their alma maters and peer institutions -who are already swimming in money.

Last edited by ncrunner77; 09-30-2016 at 10:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 09:31 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrunner77 View Post
Agree; and no offense to Mr. Swain and his crew, but given the demographics of West Cary (the high incomes and educational attainment of the parents) you are going to have a high achieving student body pretty much no matter who the principal and teachers are. Family socioeconomic status is the leading indicator of student "success".

This thread has recognized the potential benefits and logistical issues and bussing students. What about "bussing" the "best" teachers and administrators? It could be argued that placing the best school personnel in the more struggling schools would be a better use of resources. It's similar to how Malcolm Gladwell argues that if wealthy donors want to really make an impact on higher learning they should give to poorer, less prestigious, more diverse universities as opposed to their alma maters and peer institutions -who are already swimming in money.
Some of these thoughts apply to magnet schools. They are given more resources (money) to expand offerings with the goal of attracting students from higher socio economic backgrounds to schools that have base in a lower socio economic bracket.

Magnet Schools / Overview

Old 09-30-2016, 12:34 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrunner77 View Post
This thread has recognized the potential benefits and logistical issues of bussing students. What about "bussing" the "best" teachers and administrators? It could be argued that placing the best school personnel in the more struggling schools would be a better use of resources.

That's a nice thought, but teachers are people too and prefer to work somewhat close to where they live, especially if you are making the job more onerous. I don't know many people, regardless of profession who want to travel farther to do a tougher job. If you're talking about adding in "combat pay" it might help, but I don't see that happening here.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:25 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
That's a nice thought, but teachers are people too and prefer to work somewhat close to where they live, especially if you are making the job more onerous. I don't know many people, regardless of profession who want to travel farther to do a tougher job. If you're talking about adding in "combat pay" it might help, but I don't see that happening here.
I think teachers SHOULD be given incentive pay to teach in struggling areas. I think that's a brilliant idea. You'd attract more new teachers, sure, but at least they'd be motivated to succeed instead of bummed out that they're having to work harder for the same money as their peers in schools that are easier, so to speak.

Old 09-30-2016, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I think teachers SHOULD be given incentive pay to teach in struggling areas. I think that's a brilliant idea. You'd attract more new teachers, sure, but at least they'd be motivated to succeed instead of bummed out that they're having to work harder for the same money as their peers in schools that are easier, so to speak.
I agree. And we've had many "new" teachers over the years and never been disappointed. Some of our best experiences have been with teachers who are in their first or second year.

Old 09-30-2016, 06:07 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,537,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
These parents are not being told their child will sent to a poorly ranking school a one hour bus ride away. They are going to be sent to a new school. New schools in WCPSS get a top principal from the district who takes a few of their best performing teachers with them. The parents do not want there kids to change schools, not matter what school it would be. Once again, this does come back to due diligence when buying. These issues of reassignments and overcrowding have been front and center for West Cary for years.

With reference to the Year Round vs Traditional schedule in this case, the school was designated to open Multi Track Year Round, which helps alleviate crowding. The parents fought that decision. How was that for the best for their child, that was just what they wanted. It was WCPSS's fault for giving in to the pressure from one school and forgetting that their job is to serve the entire district.
Some good points here. The challenge is that we are dealing with a different set of parents. The ones who previously voted to convert back to traditional (and open MPMS as traditional) were ones with children at Panther Creek and or MPMS and maybe their youngest child at MPMS. Fast forward 6 years and that set of parents have kids who have left for university or are in high school now, so don't have the same dog in the fight that the "newer" group of parents has.

Old 09-30-2016, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
But are they really teaching in easier environments or is it just different? You trade off children who may not as be prepared for children who are entitled and have to deal with their omnipresent know it all parents.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
But are they really teaching in easier environments or is it just different? You trade off children who may not as be prepared for children who are entitled and have to deal with their omnipresent know it all parents.
I doubt you'll find a teacher who would prefer teaching students who don't have a stable home life, not enough to eat, never get read to at home, don't get enough sleep, etc etc, over parents who expect the best from their children, will buy anything for the school, etc etc - there is always a trade-off; this one is pretty much a no brainer.

Old 10-01-2016, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I doubt you'll find a teacher who would prefer teaching students who don't have a stable home life, not enough to eat, never get read to at home, don't get enough sleep, etc etc, over parents who expect the best from their children, will buy anything for the school, etc etc - there is always a trade-off; this one is pretty much a no brainer.
My mom, a now retired high school English teacher - from an era where students were divided by "ability", lebels 1-4, with 1 being remedial and 4 being gifted and talented, always said she much preferred teaching the level 1 and 2 students as opposed to the level 3 and 4. There was much less whining about grades and less sense of entitlement (and she retired in 2005, so before the most recent period of grade inflation).

Old 10-01-2016, 01:06 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,446,794 times
Cheapdad, I know you didn't say this, so I'm not pointing this at you.

Very rarely are students level 1 or 2. Generally they have had fewer opportunities and more obstacles to reaching levels 3 and 4. (NOT talking about test scores)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary