U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 07:29 AM

403 posts, read 12,806 times
Lightbulb What's So Great About Living In The Triangle Anyhow???

As a transplant from New England a little over 2 years ago, I thought I would share what I have found to be benefits of relocating to central NC, currently Cary. I would be very interested to hear what other people have found that they enjoy, after they made the move. Prior to actually making the move, we have to make an educated guess, but now that we have lived here, what pleasant surpirses have you found?

For me, this is what I like about the area:
  • The weather. After freezing my butt of in Massachusetts and seeing no leaves on trees for 7 months out of the year, this is paradise.
  • The people. I have found southerners to be extremely friendly and very welcoming. Thanks for accepting this Yankee.
  • Location. It's great being so close to the mountains and the ocean. It's also great being the same distance from NE to FL. It allows many options for vacationing.
  • Real Estate. It is so much more affordable to own real estate here than other parts of the country. No bubble bursting here, as prices never got over inflated. Plus, the homes are built better here than in NE and the homes have many more upgrades. The homes in NE are mostly a box to live in. Real estate taxes here are much much lower, which allows one to own for the same as or less than renting, including all costs. While one is renting, prior to buying or if only here for a short time, there are so many choices of apartments available. It's a nice combination that exisits in this area, that other parts of the country do not offer.
  • Dining, shopping, dining, sporting events, dining, arts, dining. All I can say is WOW!!!!!! No wonder I am putting on so much weight. It's nice to have choices.
  • Walking/biking trails. They are everywhere. It's nice to live in an area that creates nice ammenities for its residence.
  • Landscaping. Especially in Cary, developments plant a lot of beautiful landscaping. It is so pleasant to be around. Just walking outside puts a smile on my face.
  • Jobs. Wow, so many companies, so many jobs, so much opportunity.
  • WRAL news. So unbiased, professional and shows more than doom & gloom. Up north our news was all doom & gloom negative stories. This is a refreshing change.
How can it get any better than this. Thanks NC. I love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 07:52 AM

2,190 posts, read 3,867,558 times
Quote:
WRAL news. So unbiased, professional and shows more than doom & gloom.
I don't know about that. They screw up more than our president and I feel like they are definitely part of the liberal media group. WTVD is the news to watch.

But welcome!

Old 02-23-2008, 09:17 AM

10,298 posts, read 16,990,692 times
SP2SCV...A belated "Welcome to NC" to you!

I find that people who are friendly will find that others are friendly! It doesn't matter where you are from.

The biggest positive that I can say about this area is that its very family friendly. Your family could be just you or you and spouse but especially those with kids...we love our kids!

Vicki

Old 02-23-2008, 09:18 AM

8,530 posts, read 13,889,885 times
It's great to hear positive things like this SP2SCV. It makes me excited about moving there. I can't wait. Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope my house in FL sells.

Last edited by beckycat; 02-23-2008 at 09:19 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-23-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
It's great to hear positive things like this SP2SCV. It makes me excited about moving there. I can't wait. Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope my house in FL sells.

Well best of luck with your sale and welcome when you arrive. Think positive and it will happen. Looking forward to another positive person joining us in paradise.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:31 AM

1,628 posts, read 4,181,308 times
I just don't get the paradise thing. There are good people everywhere. If you don't like where you live in the state you're in, you probably just need to change neighborhoods, not states.

NC is fine. I moved here for my husband's job. I like it and don't need to move, but it's no better than anywhere else I've lived. I can't see what the huge appeal is, other than the weather which I admit is really nice. Restaurants, nice people, etc...these can be found in every state.

Not to knock NC...I just don't get why people find it so fabulous.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:55 AM

3,021 posts, read 7,333,905 times
One of the things I have enjoyed about the Triangle is that it reminds me a lot of my old hometown, Tulsa. The people are just as friendly and the weather is very similar, so the transition was easy for me. Real estate is more expensive here than what I'm used to, but the pay is a tad higher to compensate for that so it all balances out. I love all of the tall pine trees here - so pretty & they keep the area looking green even in the winter. As others have stated so many times, it's nice that if we have a long weekend to waste, we can easily cruise over to the beach or the mountains.

Last edited by autumngal; 02-23-2008 at 10:31 AM.. Reason: quote you are referring to has been removed,

Old 02-23-2008, 10:04 AM

11,294 posts, read 16,897,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP2SCV View Post
WRAL news. So unbiased, professional and shows more than doom & gloom. Up north our news was all doom & gloom negative stories. This is a refreshing change.
I take it you weren't around during the whole Duke lacrosse thing...from what I saw, the whole local media there was eating out of Nifong's hand until the truth started popping up.

What the Triangle does have, undoubtedly, is one of the last great terrestrial rock stations left - 96 Rock (96.1). I miss it.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
I don't know about that. They screw up more than our president and I feel like they are definitely part of the liberal media group. WTVD is the news to watch.

But welcome!

So what do you like about this area? What makes you happy to be here?

Old 02-23-2008, 10:28 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,779,637 times
I don't currently live in the triangle but have been to North Carolina many times. Regarding the news, the media is much more negative and competitive up in the northeast. The Boston news channels are constantly competing against each other very aggressively and the local news is all the time. It really is overkill. One network starts at 4:30, so then another network moves to 4:00. Almost everything on is "the sky is falling" type of news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary