Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 08:29 AM

64 posts, read 376,150 times

Advertisements

I planted a few blueberry bushes last year and they need plenty of water when producing. Looking for rain barrels at Home Depot did not work out. They will sell a Rubber Maid trash can and all the parts for you to make your own 45 gallon barrel for about $79.00. I bought 2 60 gallon new rain barrels on the internet for $89 each with free shipping and they will be here in a week. Lots of places selling them. I'm going to set them up with water timers on them so they will water my bushes each day early in the morning. If this works out, I may get more. Its an experiment at this stage. I'm looking into a downspout attachment that will divert the water into the barrel, and when the barrel is full, will stop the flow to it and drain the the water where it goes now. Having an overflowing barrel is not a good option. There are two different diverters that do this.
Is anyone else looking into rain barrels to keep their plants going? I can also think of other uses, if there is enough rain to keep replenishing the barrels.
They will be tucked away in the bushes in the back yard near the deck. Not sure if they are HOA approved but they wont see them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 08:34 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,300 times
Just an FYI to all, a guy sells 55 gal. rain barrels for $15 from his house on Hwy 401 just north of Perry Creek Rd.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:05 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,127,613 times
underPSI - How do I find this guy? Is there a sign at the road or something?

Old 02-23-2008, 05:18 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vnyrd View Post
I planted a few blueberry bushes last year and they need plenty of water when producing. Looking for rain barrels at Home Depot did not work out. They will sell a Rubber Maid trash can and all the parts for you to make your own 45 gallon barrel for about $79.00. I bought 2 60 gallon new rain barrels on the internet for $89 each with free shipping and they will be here in a week. Lots of places selling them. I'm going to set them up with water timers on them so they will water my bushes each day early in the morning. If this works out, I may get more. Its an experiment at this stage. I'm looking into a downspout attachment that will divert the water into the barrel, and when the barrel is full, will stop the flow to it and drain the the water where it goes now. Having an overflowing barrel is not a good option. There are two different diverters that do this.
Is anyone else looking into rain barrels to keep their plants going? I can also think of other uses, if there is enough rain to keep replenishing the barrels.
They will be tucked away in the bushes in the back yard near the deck. Not sure if they are HOA approved but they wont see them.
Can you please pm me where you purchased your barrels online? And please let us know how it all works out. Good luck w/ the install!!

Old 02-23-2008, 05:26 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,516,661 times
newsobserver.com | Drought sprouts a crop of barrels

Go pay 36 bucks.

Quote:
"I made a delivery to Raleigh this morning, and they were all gone within 20 minutes," said Chuck Rice of Sanford, who began making rain barrels out of used cucumber containers about a month ago. His barrels are especially sought after, as they cost only $36, compared with $85 and up for similar containers.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:44 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,271,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Great Article. I think I am going to try and pick one up next week. Who would have thought we would all be saved by pickles!

City of Raleigh | Rain Barrels For Sale (CALL 831.6890 TO BE SURE STYLE/SIZE IS IN STOCK!) (http://www.raleighnc.gov/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_306_202_0_43/http;/pt03/DIG_Web_Content/category/Resident/Garbage_and_Recycling/Cat-2CA-20071015-151721-Rain_Barrels_For_Sale.html - broken link)

Old 02-23-2008, 06:01 PM

64 posts, read 376,150 times
I've been researching them for a while and you can get cheap ones. There are reasons why they are so inexpensive.

I wanted a few more options for my garden.

Rain Barrels and More

Our rain barrels have a screw on top with one inch holes, screen mesh to keep out debris and mosquitoes, three top overflow male hose connections with caps, a brass spigot and a bottom drain plug. The overflow fittings allow excess water to be diverted into a second barrel (or third, or fourth etc.), or by attaching hoses, excess water can be diverted to remote areas such as a garden or flower beds.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:03 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vnyrd View Post
I've been researching them for a while and you can get cheap ones. There are reasons why they are so inexpensive.

I wanted a few more options for my garden.

Rain Barrels and More

Our rain barrels have a screw on top with one inch holes, screen mesh to keep out debris and mosquitoes, three top overflow male hose connections with caps, a brass spigot and a bottom drain plug. The overflow fittings allow excess water to be diverted into a second barrel (or third, or fourth etc.), or by attaching hoses, excess water can be diverted to remote areas such as a garden or flower beds.
Thanks for the link. And I bet yours will not smell like pickles.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:15 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,300 times
This is a link to where the $15 rain barrels are:

Google Maps (http://tinyurl.com/38nwt8 - broken link)

Old 02-24-2008, 08:27 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,863,416 times
Does the Town of cary sell rain Barrels? and how much are they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary