Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 08:32 AM

11 posts, read 37,512 times

Advertisements

I have reading the furniture forums on City-Data. We live in the Mid-West and all our furniture has to be ordered out of N. Carolina. Where is this High Point you'all talk about? Is it on I-40. We are coming back to Chapel Hill for our grandbabies' operation and we would like to buy some furniture at the discount houses. Where is this Black's and Furnitureland South? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 09:07 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,001,034 times
High Point is located SW of Greensboro.

http://dotw-xfer01.dot.state.nc.us/i...p/guilford.jpg

Old 02-23-2008, 10:55 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,448,965 times
Desperate, you are on the right track.

If you are in Chapel Hill, most any place up and down I40 will feature good furniture buys, some better than others. Should you have the time, I'd check out The Green Front on Capital Boulevard in Raleigh -- lots of high-end pieces, but you cannot count on always finding what you are looking for. The store in Raleigh is much like an 'outlet' and I have found some beautiful pieces, including Maitland Smith, and incredible buys on Oriental rugs and some accessories.

If you can devote the time to it, a trip to Farmville, VA, up Hwy 50, to all of The Green Front Stores is an incredible, almost overwhelming, experience. It is largely cash-and-carry, however, but they will ship things, I think. Be sure you know what you are looking for, and your dimensions, as once you've bought it, it is considered yours. They will work with you on the rugs, but there is a re-stocking fee if you swap one out for another.

There are lots of places tucked away here and there along I40 up towards Greensboro, Burlington, and High Point, NC, which is considered the Furniture Capital here.

Husband says check-out Hickory, NC, touted as having the largest selection of wholesale-priced furniture. He thinks you need the exit at mile marker 125 on I40. He says you should see signs along the highway. I've never been myself. The secrets he keeps from me, LOL.

Have fun. I love furniture shopping, myself, even if it is just to look. I don't know if you like antiques and older pieces, but there are some great little shops in Five Points in Raleigh, too. I have found nice occasional tables, chairs, ottomans, and some collectibles like Imari plates and the like.

Last edited by RDSLOTS; 02-23-2008 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: add'l info

Old 02-23-2008, 01:19 PM

155 posts, read 577,170 times
There are alot of furniture stores on 70 (Raleigh --Glenwood Ave) that might be worth checking out as well.

Old 02-23-2008, 04:24 PM

189 posts, read 753,751 times
Here is a directory of High Point stores and manufacturers outlets, and tips to buying furniture in NC Directory of Furniture Stores in High Point.

Furnitureland South is absolutely huge and has a commensurately large warehouse clearance center. If you go to Furnitureland South, plan on wearing very comfortable walking shoes. Be advised that Furnitureland South doesn't permit customers to use credit cards; you must pay cash or use their own credit system. Dang! There go those points!

Old 02-23-2008, 06:07 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,601,554 times
We went to Furnitureland South in High Point for the first time last month. We had purchased some nice furniture (Pennsylvania House and Drexel Heritage) from them, over the internet, about 5 years ago while living in Dallas. Even with the shipping, it was about 40%-50% less than Dallas retail stores. I was amazed by how HUGE the place was. There are 3 buildings. We got lost so many times I lost count. It's a good thing that they had a restaurant on site because we were there for a few hours.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:22 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Just watch out. Some stores have gone under taking customer deposits with them.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:48 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,824,312 times
Furniture used to be a big thing down here. My uncle used to own a Motel in Roxboro (in the 1970's), b/c they would have big tradeshows/sales certain times of the year. You could not find a vacant room anywhere between Winston Salem and RDU on I-40. At least that is what my father told me. For a time, Presidents would furnish their homes w/ furniture completely from NC. I believe the Clinton's did, but I don't know about Bush?!

Old 02-24-2008, 03:45 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Now many famous NC mfr names appear on trash from Asia.

NC is not the furniture capital it used to be. Chinese garbage is garbage whatever name you stick on it.

Watch out!

Old 02-24-2008, 05:10 AM

551 posts, read 1,875,527 times
I got a lot of stuff from Furniture Land South and was very pleased with it. They have a range of qualities, and a knowledgeable sales staff. It is an enormous store and an hour and a half drive from the triangle so go with a good idea what you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary