Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 07:19 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,864,395 times

Advertisements

CaryCitizen | New Brewery Reusing Cary Warehouse

Quote:
Cary, NC – While Cary is currently experiencing a business boom, you can still see remnants of closed industries around town, even near downtown. But one of those old buildings is getting new life as it will be home to Cary’s third brewery.
Quote:
Jordan Lake Brewing is currently under construction, located on East Durham Road, in a space that was not even originally available to the two owners, Luke Carter and Charny Mitchell. But after working with the Town of Cary to get a permit, things are close to completion.
https://www.raleighagenda.com/4423/c...n-bottle-shop/

Quote:
“We’re trying to create a small neighborhood-type beer garden in various neighborhoods,” says Payman Bazooband, who owns both Brier Creek Beer Garden and The Red Monkey Tavern at the opposite end of the mall. “We are looking at the upper north in the Falls of Neuse area and also at Cary.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 08:47 AM

811 posts, read 825,659 times
As much as I am rooting for DT Cary, I don't see this one making it.

1. DT Cary is already saturated with places to hang out and grab a beer.
2. The outdoor theme with canoes and fishing lures hanging from the ceiling seem an odd fit for DT Cary. They should have gone with their original desired location of nearer Jordan Lake (they mention Pittsboro). Just because it's a cheap rent doesn't make it the right location. I see this being about as successful as the defunct Field and Stream or the soon to be defunct (IMHO) Park West Gander Mountain.
3. No surprise, from the article sounds like they are yet another brewer focusing on the overdone IPAs and other ales. Maybe if they brewed some decent lagers and wheat beers they would find a niche. I like Brueprint in Apex and think they have carved a place for themselves with lagers and wheats. I understand lagers take more time and are unforgiving compared to IPAs and other ales that you can "cover up" with hops, fruit, and wood barrel aging techniques. The true test of a brewer is their lager -if they even offer one.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:44 AM

9,131 posts, read 14,697,388 times
From the article, it didn't seem like they were really concentrating on IPAs to me. But funny, I see and hear about more people lining up at places like The Veil, Treehouse Brewing, Trillium and others on random weekdays week to get cans of IPAs. They're the best selling beer still and while special releases of things like various sours, barrel aged beers and the like get interest and even lines, nothing matches the week in and week out demand for good IPAs.

But I too am a bit skeptical. They will need to be great right out the door with Bond Brothers so close as they pretty much made the prototype for about as well as one could expect from a new brewery. I can foresee the possibility of the proximity of Bond helping them as its only a half mile away, as long as they can have something interesting and good to offer. On the other hand, with the train tracks cutting them off, it makes it seem much further than half a mile and some people won't do it, especially for mediocre beer.

One thing about the explosion in breweries lately though is at least they can sell their equipment for a decent price if they do fail.

Oh and Brüeprint is definitely excellent. Their Pumpkin Spiced Edinbrüe is about the best Pumkin beer I've had.

Old 09-29-2016, 10:45 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,864,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrunner77 View Post
As much as I am rooting for DT Cary, I don't see this one making it.

1. DT Cary is already saturated with places to hang out and grab a beer.
2. The outdoor theme with canoes and fishing lures hanging from the ceiling seem an odd fit for DT Cary. They should have gone with their original desired location of nearer Jordan Lake (they mention Pittsboro). Just because it's a cheap rent doesn't make it the right location. I see this being about as successful as the defunct Field and Stream or the soon to be defunct (IMHO) Park West Gander Mountain.
3. No surprise, from the article sounds like they are yet another brewer focusing on the overdone IPAs and other ales. Maybe if they brewed some decent lagers and wheat beers they would find a niche. I like Brueprint in Apex and think they have carved a place for themselves with lagers and wheats. I understand lagers take more time and are unforgiving compared to IPAs and other ales that you can "cover up" with hops, fruit, and wood barrel aging techniques. The true test of a brewer is their lager -if they even offer one.
Man what DT Cary is saturated with is places to change your tire, so another brewery is a welcome change for me. I just hope they serve food, I don't go any where just to drink.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:49 AM

3,381 posts, read 7,740,965 times
No need for the breweries to serve food when they can rotate food trucks through, like I see all of them doing it seems.

I don't think being near Bond Brothers in DT Cary a negative at all, based on what I see of people bouncing between LBC/Big Boss/Neuse/Nickelpoint/etc. in Raleigh. I think the bigger concert is just over saturation of breweries in general. It's all eventually going to come down to who has the best beers and the best business savvy.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:55 AM

6,650 posts, read 5,552,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
No need for the breweries to serve food when they can rotate food trucks through, like I see all of them doing it seems.

I don't think being near Bond Brothers in DT Cary a negative at all, based on what I see of people bouncing between LBC/Big Boss/Neuse/Nickelpoint/etc. in Raleigh. I think the bigger concert is just over saturation of breweries in general. It's all eventually going to come down to who has the best beers and the best business savvy.
I was about to say, I live in Five Points and there is no shortage of breweries here and they don't seem to be struggling for business)

Old 09-29-2016, 11:59 AM

11,202 posts, read 8,246,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post

To which I say "heck yeah". (It only benefits the consumer, no pun intended.)

Old 09-29-2016, 12:06 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,333,302 times
Are breweries the latest trend? How long will that last? Seems to get saturated with a new brewery/beer garden opening up everyday day, at least in DT Raleigh. Of course I'm biased since I'm not a heavy beer drinker, I'd rather these locations be turned into dining establishments with food as focus instead.

Also, I haven't been to DT Cary in ages, is it a happening place to be now? Just seems hard to even get into that area.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:13 PM

6,650 posts, read 5,552,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
Are breweries the latest trend? How long will that last? Seems to get saturated with a new brewery/beer garden opening up everyday day, at least in DT Raleigh. Of course I'm biased since I'm not a heavy beer drinker, I'd rather these locations be turned into dining establishments with food as focus instead.

Also, I haven't been to DT Cary in ages, is it a happening place to be now? Just seems hard to even get into that area.
It's the trend everywhere - I think it will eventually get saturated but for now they seem to be staying in business for what we have in the area.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:16 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,531,088 times
Nearby, DUI checkpoints oughta do great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary