Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 09:54 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post

There are some builders that no longer include window screens. You gotta know the questions to ask!
Little bit of a thread derail - but is it typical around here for houses not to have front window screens? We have no screens in the front, but all the back and sides have them. I don't know if it was an aesthetics thing, or if that's just an excuse to save a few bucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 10:07 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Little bit of a thread derail - but is it typical around here for houses not to have front window screens? We have no screens in the front, but all the back and sides have them. I don't know if it was an aesthetics thing, or if that's just an excuse to save a few bucks.
Screens really darken a room and from a distance, make the windows less "pretty"!

And since most people don't open windows in the front of their home, they don't use the screens.

Try to look at a house that has screens versus one that doesn't and you'll see the difference in the light coming into the house and the look from the front of the house.

I have screens for all my windows but only have 4 on the back of the house as those are the only windows I open when the weather is nice and the pollen isn't around.

And because of this, many builders just stopped providing the screens or putting the screens on but will do it if you ask. And yes, builders also do it to save a few bucks!

Old 10-05-2016, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoisbetter View Post
Ya the pine straw thing doesn't work in 12 Oaks since there are almost no trees! Even so, its a lame excuse. We got them to put up 1 gutter, but several owners have paid for the gutters themselves.
My client purchased one of the last Saussy homes in the old phase so SB was willing to negotiate.

We were able to negotiate the gutters in after contract due to some issues with the way the rain was coming down from the shingles and causing streaks on the siding.

Never hurts to ask!

Old 10-06-2016, 06:23 AM

127 posts, read 215,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Our HOA does not permit screens in the front of the house. I actually don't like to see them in the front so no complaints from me.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:23 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Screens really darken a room and from a distance, make the windows less "pretty"!

And since most people don't open windows in the front of their home, they don't use the screens.

Try to look at a house that has screens versus one that doesn't and you'll see the difference in the light coming into the house and the look from the front of the house.

I have screens for all my windows but only have 4 on the back of the house as those are the only windows I open when the weather is nice and the pollen isn't around.

And because of this, many builders just stopped providing the screens or putting the screens on but will do it if you ask. And yes, builders also do it to save a few bucks!
After we requested them, Toll put them up on our house at no extra charge (they were supposed to charge for them, but we got on very well with the PM).

However, we took the ones on the front windows down because they did darken the room. We only ever open the windows in the back anyway.

Old 10-06-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
After we requested them, Toll put them up on our house at no extra charge (they were supposed to charge for them, but we got on very well with the PM).

However, we took the ones on the front windows down because they did darken the room. We only ever open the windows in the back anyway.
And, it is easier to clean the exterior window sills without any screens!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary