Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 04:17 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Where exactly is this land and how long ago did you buy?
I can't even imagine your scenario anywhere convenient anymore. Maybe far, far East Wake County there are some "deals" with a lot of land. But, I just can't imagine getting such a deal anywhere close to the city. I'd imagine that one has to go to Harnett, Franklin or far Southwestrn Chatham Counties.
Obviously, price and affordability to the owner is the key.
There are plenty of properties around, if one can pop $120,000 for 10 acres.
Yes, it might be in an adjoining county, but some in Wake County. It can be done easier than most folks realize.
I have continuous land searches running and fresh stuff comes up every week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 04:44 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
This is an interesting question. On the one hand I agree with Mike that it can happen more often than people realize, on the other I do think some people who post on here come with a very TALL order that isn't very realistic for the price range they quote. Especially when they want a lot of land for minimal $ but still expect to be within 15 minutes of their job RTP. I get the impression that they think All land in the Triangle is cheap. Obviously the cost for so much land will vary by location in the Triangle.

FWIW, if I had the money I would like the idea of larger lot but I would definitely want a large majority of the lot to be wooded. I could not imagine maintaining more than .25 - .50 acres of actual lawn! IMO having more than .50 acres of grass means a lot of mowing, fertilizing, aerating, and watering ect….. Give me a nice stand of trees on a larger lot any day!

Old 02-24-2008, 04:47 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Would love to know who builds for $85. a square foot anymore! These days seems like $125. is the bare minimum?
Who said anything about new construction?

A house down the street from us just sold a few months ago. 2700 sq ft house on 1.5 acres. According to the Wake County tax collector, the house sold for $320K and the land is worth $95K of that. That leaves $225K for a 2700 sq ft house = $83/sq ft. The house is less than 10 years old.

I have not shopped for a $200K house in this area, but I would think it would be do-able. You're not going to find it in Morrisville, Cary, Apex, or North Raleigh, but that still leaves a lot of other places.

I just did a quick MLS search and found a 2500 sq ft house built in 1993 on 3/4 acre in Garner.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:58 PM

151 posts, read 462,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Where exactly is this land and how long ago did you buy?
I can't even imagine your scenario anywhere convenient anymore. Maybe far, far East Wake County there are some "deals" with a lot of land. But, I just can't imagine getting such a deal anywhere close to the city. I'd imagine that one has to go to Harnett, Franklin or far Southwestrn Chatham Counties.
Unincorporated northern Wake County (above falls lake). We bought in August 2006. Around the same time two other families bought in our area, 5 acres for 50k and 18 acres for 180k. I am about 20 minutes to work, my Dh about 30. I work in Durham and he works in RTP. There are still deals up here and we are not far away at all.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:23 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I could not imagine maintaining more than .25 - .50 acres of actual lawn! IMO having more than .50 acres of grass means a lot of mowing, fertilizing, aerating, and watering ect….. Give me a nice stand of trees on a larger lot any day!
My previous house was on 1/5 acre. My back yard was as big as my living room. My front yard was about 2 or 3 times the size of the back yard. I had a push lawnmower - - not self propelled - - and I used to sweat my tooshie off mowing the lawn.

Now I have over 3/4 acre and most of it is grass. BUT. . . . I now have a zero-turn riding mower. Mowing the lawn with one of these things is as easy as going for a Sunday drive

Old 02-24-2008, 06:04 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I now have a zero-turn riding mower. Mowing the lawn with one of these things is as easy as going for a Sunday drive

That sounds sweet. I wouldn't mind mowing an acre or so using one those babies. AS long as it has a cup holder for beer that sounds like a great way to spend a late afternoon.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:26 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
I often see posts for people seeking houses in the sub 200k, looking for a minimum of 3/4 acre and up. I'm sort of puzzled.

Exactly what are people hearing about the Triangle that may lead them to believe that big houses on big lots in the 100k-200k price range are plentiful here in the Triangle?

Also, what exactly, do people do with all that land. I mean, the landscaping requirements of a 3/4 acre seem like a lot of work, and I've seen people looking for much more space than that. Do people really use all that land?
Quite a few relocating people have been told that land is cheap here in Wake County so they don't quite understand that they aren't going to get acres for $100,000!

Most of my clients that want an acre don't want it landscaped. They just want to be able to go to the bathroom without looking out the window and waving at the neighbors in THEIR bathroom!

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary