Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2016, 01:09 PM

98 posts, read 107,367 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I recently got a puppy from the Wake County shelter, looking to get him socialized with people and other dogs, was wondering if there are any groups that get together?

Or suggestions on dog parks that are suitable for a younger dog who's still working through getting overly excited by every leaf in the wind.

Appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 01:25 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,584,478 times
Millbrook has a great dog park. Some of the dogs are a little rougher than others but we take our dog there and she loves it. She really loved it as a puppy...now as an old and senile dog she socializes but isn't in the middle of the action.

Old 10-13-2016, 01:28 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,600,888 times
Congrats on the puppy!

A lot of trainers have puppy classes - part training, part socialization. Looks like a lot of fun.

Some that I know are (all in Durham though):

https://dogfunforever.dogbizpro.com/...px?tab=classes

Indoor Dog Training and Swim Center

Cheery Dogs Dog Training | Dog training classes | Private lessons

Here's one in Raleigh, have heard great things:

Teamworks Group Classes

Old 10-13-2016, 04:07 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Yeah a puppy training class with socialization is a good idea. Congrats on the puppy, we got ours from the Wake County shelter and he's awesome.

Old 10-14-2016, 08:21 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
I do some vokunteer work with a rescue group. Obedience and socialization classes are HIGHLY encouraged by rescue groups. They literally changed our rescue from aloof and detatched to friendly and loving in less than one hour (no exaggeration. The trainer quickly realized that Riley wasn't making eye contact with us. Getting him to do that single action has led to a 14+ year love affair.)

If you're going to visit the dog parks or be around other dogs, Do be sure that his shots are up to date including bordatella.

Congrats on the puppy and thank you for adopting.

Old 10-14-2016, 08:41 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan63 View Post
Hey all,

I recently got a puppy from the Wake County shelter, looking to get him socialized with people and other dogs, was wondering if there are any groups that get together?

Or suggestions on dog parks that are suitable for a younger dog who's still working through getting overly excited by every leaf in the wind.

Appreciate it!
Canine Citizen/Puppy classes are kind of a dime a dozen...Where are you located at? I've been taking my dog to the Oakwood dog park since he was small, I put him in with the big dogs and let him work it out. I'm TOLD (I can't speak from experience) that there are fewer fights at Oakwood than Millbrook dog parks.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:02 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,600,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I've been taking my dog to the Oakwood dog park since he was small, I put him in with the big dogs and let him work it out. I'm TOLD (I can't speak from experience) that there are fewer fights at Oakwood than Millbrook dog parks.
...this is why I stopped going to dog parks

Old 10-14-2016, 09:05 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
The puppy classes at PetSmart have a great reputation. (I know, big box, blah blah blah).

The trainer at Brier Creek Location specifically works with socialization, is a Canine Good Citizen certified, and has people coming from far away to work with her. Full Disclosure, she is also my girlfriend, but I've seen her work, and have met people who have benefited from her when others could not help.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:29 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
The puppy classes at PetSmart have a great reputation. (I know, big box, blah blah blah).

The trainer at Brier Creek Location specifically works with socialization, is a Canine Good Citizen certified, and has people coming from far away to work with her. Full Disclosure, she is also my girlfriend, but I've seen her work, and have met people who have benefited from her when others could not help.
At least one of my neighbors used the obedience classes at the Brier Creek Pet Smart - with great success - on a skittish rescue dog.

Old 10-14-2016, 02:17 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
I would bet there are Meetup groups in all parts of the area, as well as possibly even Facebook groups, maybe even down to the breed, if you hunt places like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary