Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2008, 03:46 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,427,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
anyone remember the old Lakemont pond? the petting zoo at north hills. lock stock and barrel, mayberry at colony, blue laws on sunday, grocery boy jr at the corner of what id now millbrook and the creedmore highway. 70 was called the durham highway beyond crabtree, capital blvd was three roads-us 1, north blvd and downtown blvd, the red lobster was kickin, you had to take your shoes off at Kanki, Oxford Sporting Goods, North Hills Pharmacy, Cheviot Hills was a real good course, Leith Honda(the only Leith one at the time) was on downtown blvd. ACC Tavern, Johnny's Supper Club, Greshman Lake, Wrenn-Farr, woolthworth's arcade,the Orange Bowl at Crabtree, the jr striders, hackney's, sportman's cove, top of the tower sorry if these are repeats. the cameron brown building, ebeneezer church rd was gravel, only the poor were born at wake med, cary was a southern small town, the skateboard park on atlantic ave, the putt putt course off hodges street behind the longbranch. Nantucket was on the brink of being pretty big.
Yes, I remember the grocery boy junior at the corner of millbrook and creedmoor road. It was still around in the mid 80's - apparently in the 70's and earlier it was once a "country store."

Speaking of country, somebody told me the area we now know as Millbrook road was once Millbrook, NC !!!

Also - on Creedmoor Road - North of 540 - where they are building the new CVS or Revco - didn't there used to be a country store on that property? Gone around 1985??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 06:39 AM

43,020 posts, read 76,519,527 times
Thumbs up I'm not from Raleigh, but....

I spoke with a nice feller yesterday who told me about there being a "Farm For Sale" sign up years ago.
"106 acres. $50,000"

Everyone said, "Who would be dumb enough to pay that much for that old farm?"

Sometime after that, for quite a while the area was known as North Hills Mall until John Kane got involved...

Old 04-06-2008, 08:26 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,119,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvwakeforest View Post
Also - on Creedmoor Road - North of 540 - where they are building the new CVS or Revco - didn't there used to be a country store on that property? Gone around 1985??
If you mean at Creedmoor & Norwood, yes, there was a corner store which was known as "Turner's" when I was growing up. Back in the early 70s the owner refused to serve my dad because he had a beard, so we never went there!

Old 04-06-2008, 11:50 AM

336 posts, read 1,134,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
anyone remember the old Lakemont pond? the petting zoo at north hills. lock stock and barrel, mayberry at colony, blue laws on sunday, grocery boy jr at the corner of what id now millbrook and the creedmore highway. 70 was called the durham highway beyond crabtree, capital blvd was three roads-us 1, north blvd and downtown blvd, the red lobster was kickin, you had to take your shoes off at Kanki, Oxford Sporting Goods, North Hills Pharmacy, Cheviot Hills was a real good course, Leith Honda(the only Leith one at the time) was on downtown blvd. ACC Tavern, Johnny's Supper Club, Greshman Lake, Wrenn-Farr, woolthworth's arcade,the Orange Bowl at Crabtree, the jr striders, hackney's, sportman's cove, top of the tower sorry if these are repeats. the cameron brown building, ebeneezer church rd was gravel, only the poor were born at wake med, cary was a southern small town, the skateboard park on atlantic ave, the putt putt course off hodges street behind the longbranch. Nantucket was on the brink of being pretty big.
Yep, every single one.
The petting zoo wasn't permanent, it just came around every so often.
Remember when they carved the giant statue of Sir Walter Raleigh in the mall. I've still got a wood chip from that somewhere.
Remember the HO train setup at the back of Colliers Hobby Shop. Man I could look at that thing for hours. There was a little plastic figure of a girl covering herself from two onlookers as she bathed in a stream with her cloths by the side.
Of course back then the Grocery Boy Jr. or GBJ as we called it was at the corner of Creedmore Hwy and Shelly Rd.
Greshams Lake is still there, although a lot of it is filled in now.
Wasn't there a supper club called Charlie Browns on Greshams Lake Rd.?
Remember Jonston-Lambe sporting goods downtown. You had to drive down a ramp to the underground parking below the store. Cool stuff for a little kid going to get his pads for peewee football.
Woolworths at North Hills also had a lunch counter. So did the J.C.Pennys.
Hackneys was where you got all your cub scout and boy scout stuff.
The Cameron Brown building had a heliport on top that was never used.
uncletupelo you bring back some great memories. Good times.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:34 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,796,760 times
I liked when they did the Circus in Dorton Arena better. I feel like the RBC center would just be too big. How could you even see anything?

Old 04-06-2008, 01:20 PM

677 posts, read 1,897,279 times
Lock Stock & Barrell was great and I recently read that they've opened in Clayton after all these years. That was the first place I'd ever seen put bacon on a burger!

Old 04-06-2008, 01:45 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,548,364 times
Quote:
Of course back then the Grocery Boy Jr. or GBJ as we called it was at the corner of Creedmore Hwy and Shelly Rd.
Actually it was on the corner of Creedmore Rd. and Leesville Rd.

Quote:
But it wasn't Baileywick! When I was a kid it was "Shacktown Road." I don't know if that was the official name, but that's what everyone called it. I remember school officials at Jeffrey's Grove calling Shacktown Road.
You sure you're thinking of the correct intersection? I think I remember Jefferey's Grove School rd. being called Shacktown rd. Jefferey's Grove elem. school is on Creedmore Rd.

Quote:
Here's another...Who knows where the lead mine was on Leadmine road?
That's lead as in pencil lead (Graphite).
Sure do. It's at the bottom of the hill off of Lead Mine Rd. just north of Lynn Rd. The land is actually for sale now.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Actually it was on the corner of Creedmore Rd. and Leesville Rd.
I stand corrected. I checked a roadmap I have from the late '60s. Shelly intersected Leesville Rd. just a little ways from there. Leesville continued down what is present day Town and Country Ln.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:48 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,548,364 times
Quote:
I checked a roadmap I have from the late '60s.
Wow! I'd love to see that. Any way you could scan that in possibly to a pdf file?

Old 04-06-2008, 08:46 PM

^ Unfortunately I don't have that capability.

Anyone here ever jump off the steal truss bridge that spanned Crabtree Creek at Lassiter Mill?
We used to slid down the spillway too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary