Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2008, 06:46 AM

12 posts, read 36,710 times

Advertisements

Hey,

Was that dude Vince the lead singer of the band your thinking of? I remember this one band that would play at parties and stuff. The lead singer had long dark hair (not real long) and duh! long hair. He reminded me of the lead singer for Survivor for some reason. I want to say the band I am thinking of was from Garner or Millbrook. I know they weren't from Sanderson. Rush Lyday hired them for one of his parties way out off of Longstreet but I remember seeing them at other parties as well. They might have played the Berkley Cafe too.

Colony Rat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 08:07 AM

337 posts, read 1,138,522 times
Vince may have sung, but he was really a guitarist. Snowblind sounds very familiar. The name Palmerans dusted off some brain cells I haven't used in years. Only met him a few times,but he did think he was the next Eddie Van Halen. This would been between about '79 and '82 or so. Vince also played with a black guy named Steve Alvin and a guy named Stan Yates (sp) sometimes.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:53 PM

Default North Raleigh Bands

Stan Yates sounds familiar. Yea, Palmerans was a big Van Halen fan. I think he was class of 83 at Sanderson. Then he was into George Lynch of Dokken. I hung out with him when he moved back from Cali and we would go to the Switch to see bands and scope babes. We traveled around NC when KIX was doing the state. We went to the Attic in Greenville and down to the Mad Monk in Wilmington. I will ask Andy about all this. He seems to have a better memory then me.

Colony Rat

Old 11-09-2008, 12:39 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Colony Rat, what year did you graduate from Sanderson and, if you can say, what street in Quail Hollow did you live on? I also grew up in QH and would have gone to Sanderson in the early 80s, but I ended up going to a private school. Did you go to North Ridge elementary and (West/East) Millbrook Jr High?

Old 11-09-2008, 04:37 AM

Default My NC history

Hey,

I moved to Raleigh in 1981. I lived on Haverhill Ct. off of Purdue St. in Quail Hollow. I was supposed to graduate from Sanderson in 1983 but dropped out in 1982. Then I went to Wake Tech in 1983 and got my GED. Then I went on to get my BS at NCSU (in two parts - the late 80's and the late 90's). That wasn't my first time to Raleigh though. My mom was from Raleigh and her parents lived over in Drewry Hills off of Six Forks so I had been to Raleigh many times before I moved there. I remember flying into RDU in the early 70's.

The people I remember from Quail Hollow are David Woodcock, Bill Johnson, Patrice Campbell, John Zoltek, Glenn Miller, Gay Brinkley and some other folks but I only remember their first names or their face. I knew some people in Lakemont and just about everywhere in North Raleigh. I could list a mess of folks.

I hung out with the stoner/partyer crowd mainly. I remember when I first went to Sanderson. I had moved down from freezing arse Birmingham, Michigan. I had a blue jean jacket with "The Doors" across the back. And I looked the part and still do to some extent. I wore concert T-shirts everyday. But Sanderson was different then my school in B'ham. Put it this way I stuck out like a sore thumb compared to my fellow classmates at Sanderson. I remember the looks I got. Classic!

Do you think you know who I am?

What about you? Did you go to Ravenscroft? Or what was that Catholic school down off of Anderson Drive?

Colony Rat

Old 11-10-2008, 01:34 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Hey, Colony Rat-

I graduated (from Ravenscroft) in '81 so wouldn't have known you even if I'd gone to Sanderson. I lived off Pebblebrook, "deeper" into QH, and I was a nerd/preppy type so we never would've hung in the same crowds. I think Gay Brinkley's dad worked with my dad but I was more her brother's age. I did go to Jr High at West Millbrook with all the Quail Hollow folks but again, it was the other end of QH...can't think of anyone down your way (and I'm not real comfortable listing people's names in this forum without their permission anyway )

Worth a shot to ask, though!

Old 11-11-2008, 01:45 AM

Default Names

Hey,

Yea, I was wondering about listing peoples names here myself. We weren't saying anything negative so I didn't feel it would be an issue. It doesn't sound like we ran in the same circles but you had heard of Palmerans.

Was your dad an IBMer? I knew a lot of folks whose parents came to Raleigh because of Big Blue.

It was just funny that I was looking up WRDU folks and anything about The Switch and found the forum. Lots of old memories.

Development has really changed the face of Raleigh and North Raleigh especially. I guess people didn't learn from the Atlanta, GA example.

Colony Rat

Old 11-11-2008, 02:32 AM

Default Raleigh Ghost Stories

All,

Now, for a different topic that everyone can chime in on.

I vaguely remember the old lady story at Old Wake Forest Rd. and Millbrook Rd. I also know there are some places downtown that are famous for being haunted.

1. One of the stories that I remember had something to do with a fire at the Raleigh Children's Orphanage downtown somewhere and that the place was haunted. Supposedly, you could go down there and see ghosts or something by parking near where it was. I think part of it was still standing or something. Anyone know the story?

2. Another one was that on Halloween Night you could go down to Oakwood Cemetery and one of the big statues head would spin around. I think it was the big angel statue with wings.

3. Going towards the end of Reedy Creek Rd. (before it was a park down there) there was the foundation of a house on the right side at the dead end that was supposedly haunted at one time. The house that was on the leftside was my buddies grandparents old house.

4. At the intersection of Falls Of The Neuse and Strickland Rd. there was an old house with a pond that was supposed to be haunted. It was right across the street from East Millbrook Jr. High. It is all houses now and I think the pond is filled in.

5. There was a house on Wake Forest Rd. between Eastgate Shopping Center and Raleigh Community Hospital. That was called the Fortune Mansion. It was used as a haunted house from what I have been told and there were fake coffins in the basement when I went and checked it out. Anyone know anything about that place?

6. I had read somewhere that there was a haunted house up at Lake Gaston but can't remember anymore then that.

Anyone have any info on these? What about other ones?

Colony Rat

Old 11-11-2008, 02:34 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,579,467 times
.....if you can remember the phone number that announed the current time and weather.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:03 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,147,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
.....if you can remember the phone number that announed the current time and weather.
833 2511. I still remember it, but Francois already posted it in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary