Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2008, 09:15 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,763,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Heck yeah. Saw many a flick at the old Ambassador. The last I remember seeing there was the version of King Kong that had Jessica Lange.
Hey, I saw King Kong there, too! It must have closed right after that.

I remember seeing Earthquake ("with Sensurround!") at The State and seeing my (5th-grade) teacher there. Of course, it was always freaky to see your teacher in "regular" situations, in elementary school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 07:38 AM

8,158 posts, read 10,889,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Artist View Post

Hey, does anyone remember the old Zig-Zag head shop that used to be down some steps at the corner of Hillsborough and Oberlin Roads. (I know, most old timers wouldn't have frequented the Zig-Zag, but I mention it out of late-Sixties historical interest). The local "freaks" would congregate at that corner from time to time. I don't think Darryls, which was at that location for many years, had even opened yet.
Sure..I remember the Zig-Zag Shop. I bought a lot of stuff there including a grey fedora I wore for many years.

Darryl Davis opened his original Darryl's restaurant at the same location of his Hillsborough St. Pizza Inn. He first expanded west(The Circus Room) and later to the corner(Zig Zag) That corner was a very popular spot in the early 70's. I spent a lot of time there myself.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:10 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,808,260 times
I don't know if I ever added this somewhere in the mix of my thread, but here are some more I found. And an article from the N&O all about a facebook group about this type of discussion

Quote:
You know you grew up in Raleigh, NC when. . .

You remember when . . .

There was a North Hill's "Mall"

Capital Blvd was Downtown Blvd

The Plantation Inn was on the other side of the world

You know what specialty is served at "The Roast Grill", "Snoopy's" and the former "Scotty's Chuckwagon"

When the Art Museum was downtown

When, what is now the art museum was Polk Youth Center

You could go to the State Fair at least twice in the week, since it was here.

You watched Barney's Army, The Uncle Paul Show and Charlie Gaddy and Bob DeBardelaben on WRAL news.

When WRAL was the ABC affiliate and WTVD was the CBS affiliate.

When WQDR was a ROCK station

In the 4th grade doing the "North Carolina Project" and going downtown to see the Old Capital Building and the Legislature Building.

Seeing the Pine State Dairy delivery trucks on the road while waiting for your school bus in the morning

The Cardinal Theater was the greatest thing in town because all the new movies were shown there first

K & K Toys at Crabtree Valley Mall, to a kid at that time the greatest toy store ever!!!

Schoolkids Records where you could get anything, if they didn't have it in the rack you could have it ordered

Su Casa at Crabtree was the only Mexican Restaurant in town

When Dorton Arena was the only place in town to see a "Concert" and its terrible acoustics

We never got good concerts, always had to go to the Greensboro Coliseum

Going to see Ira David Wood's "A Christmas Carol" and seeing the local celebrities who made walk on appearances and the current events he includes and depicted in this timeless classic

Going to the old Hayes Barton City Pool

You remember where you were when Carolina and State won the National Basketball Championships in 1982 and 1983 respectively and you know what "The Brickyard" is

You've ever eaten at "Amedeo's", "Two Guys" or "Brother's" and know what their specialties are.

You've ever watched Bull Durham knew when "Mitch's Tavern" is in the movie and knew that the scene out back couldn't happen because Mitch's is on the second floor

Gotten bbq at the old "Don Murray's"

"Char Grill" -The Original on Hillsborough Street - 'nuff said

The Friday of the ACC Tournament you had school but nobody did anything. All the teachers had tv's in their classroom or allowed small radios in class.

The Hardees on Wake Forest Road across from Harmon Volkswagon (Now Southern States) that was still outfitted like an old diner with stainless steel and formica. They also had tokens you could collect.

The K-Mart at the corner of Wake Forest Road and Six Forks road was a shopping mecca and you could get anything you needed there.
newsobserver.com | Raleigh's yesteryear thrives online (http://www.newsobserver.com/print/wednesday/other/story/1291251.html - broken link)

Old 12-20-2008, 08:36 PM

2 posts, read 9,006 times
Holy crap! I used to live at Barry's during the '80's! Great DJ's... Craig Zeni, Amy Pritchard, Rusty Allen (at one time, he managed Hootie, I think), too many others I know I'm forgetting (ok... things do get hazy with the passing of 20 years... not to mention a tad too much alcohol). For a short time, over one summer, Vinnie Del Negro tended bar there. That was just a great place and so many friends from my days there.

As a side note on Mitch's and the filming of Bull Durham, that was (according to the legend at the time) the only night that Mitch's had ever been closed to the public since the place had opened its doors. One of the crew working on the movie that night was a young gaffer named Peyton Reed, the former drummer for Johnny Quest. Peyton has since gone on to some directing success (last year's "The Breakup" and the recently released "Yes Man" with Jim Carey).

Ok, now I'm taking up too much time reminscing. Thanks for the memories!

Old 12-27-2008, 06:29 AM

9 posts, read 38,182 times
Fantastic thread, y'all.

I was born in Raleigh in the late 60s, when the RTP-fueled growth was just starting to build critical mass. My parents were both Western NC natives; after living all over the country (Dad was an IBMer) they came back to NC and settled in Raleigh in 1964, and I grew up here, went to school here (St. Timothy's/Hale High School, Enloe High School, NCSSM and then UNC) before leaving the area in the late 1980s... reconnecting here with a lot of old memories. :-)

My wife and I are now in the process of relocating to RTP after many years living in New York City.

Anyway. I just spent an hour and three cups of coffee :-) reading this thread, and a lot of things resonated with me, but especially:

-- The old Cardinal movie theater (and especially the summer cartoon matinee programs they used to run for kids - what a kick for a child, to see the "Saturday morning TV" Looney Tunes cartoons up on the big screen, as they were intended to be viewed.)

-- The hobby shop downtown, where a budding stamp collector was treated respectfully and seriously even if he was seven years old. :-)

-- "Carolina burgers" with chili and slaw at Scotty's

-- The Federal Bake Shop at Cameron Village

-- DJ's Book and News (Hillsborough Street and then Crabtree), where (in addition to trying to sneak a peak at the "adult literature") I began a life-long love affair with magazine journalism.

-- Cary, before it became a Containment Area for Relocated Yankees (and was pronounced, roughly, "CAY-ree" by the locals.)

Let me add a few memories:

-- Grilled cheese and tomato sandwiches, and amazing french fries at the Mecca restaurant

-- Youth soccer at "Mini City" -- the area near the intersection of Millbrook Rd and Capital Blvd used to be athletic fields about as far as the eye could see. The coaches were everyone from European expats (many of them IBMers) to college soccer players earning a few extra bucks on the side. Awesome.

-- Boy Scout camp at "Camp Durant" off Durant Rd.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:21 AM
jpb

9 posts, read 43,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbear View Post
While that is where an orphanage was (the Methodist Orphanage), that's not the haunted one.

From Mike Legeros' site:

Dormitory at Catholic orphanage burns. Fire reported about 2 a.m. on a Sunday morning in the four-story "Priest's building." Five young men, students at the orphanage preparing for the priesthood, escape by jumping from the windows. Three are injured after leaping from the roof, one of whom later dies that evening. Four priests also escape from third-story windows. They survive unscathed. The building is almost a total loss, with only the walls left standing. A "squad of cadets" from nearby A&M college assist with the firefighting. Members of the Rescue and Hook and Ladder companies also respond, but can only prevent the spread of the fire to nearby buildings. Several decades later, the fire inspires the legend of "Cry Baby Lane," a nearby road upon which visitors purportedly hear the screaming of children and smell smoke. Loss $20,000. The orphanage is located in the Nazareth Community, two and a half miles from Raleigh. [MF] (October 29, 1905) mp29oct05

From Legeros' again:

[SIZE=2]
History: The northern end of Avent Ferry Road was moved to its present location between 1950 and 1980. Previously, it weaved through Nazareth just north of the Catholic Orphanage and intersected Western Boulevard just west of Ashe Avenue.[/SIZE]
I lived at Nazereth in the '60's (the best years of my childhood incidentally) and can tell you first hand that the "Cry Baby Lane" stories are 100% true. We heard it all the time but would be told it was people at the asylum nearby. I returned there about 8 yrs ago and the buildings may be gone but I still got the same chill. Check it out

Old 01-29-2009, 10:35 AM

49 posts, read 136,442 times
Default All those who responded to "You know you're Raleigh if..."

I just want to let you all know that I enjoyed the comments about Raleigh. Raleigh is very high on my list of places to move in the next few months. I will be moving from the Virgin Islands. I been to Raleigh a few times to the CIAA when it use to be there. After living in DC then the VI, I want nothing to do with BIG CITY living. The VI is real cool especially ST Croix. The whole time I've been here I would go in certain sections and it would remind me of rural NC.... not that Raleigh is rural. It sounds like rural areas are not that far. Again, I just want you guys to know that I enjoyed your memories and comments.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:23 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,334,079 times
i haven't been out to north hills mall in awhile...is this the nice one by six forks? are stores closing? i thought they just opened up the mariott and are planning to build more retail across the street

Old 01-29-2009, 11:26 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 17 days ago)

43,161 posts, read 76,761,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
i haven't been out to north hills mall in awhile...is this the nice one by six forks? are stores closing? i thought they just opened up the mariott and are planning to build more retail across the street
Well, yes.

But a few short years ago, you could have shot a George Romero film there.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:57 PM

2 posts, read 12,488 times
Default Old farmhouse on millbrook road

Me and my friends used to hang out in that big, old house on millbrook road at intersection of old wake forest and millbrook. it was a big white farmhouse and it was abandoned and dillapitated by the time we used it as a hang out. That was the late 80s. we used to scare each other sick and would say it was haunted. i guess it was the ghost that rides in the backseat of cars around the intersection. and according to somebody on here, "she" lived in that old house. I'm curious, though, does anyone on this thread know the real history of that house? the family who lived there. when it was built. etc etc. and about the old millbrook community? any books i can read about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary