Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 10:16 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,039,443 times

Advertisements

Got blackout at Barry's many times back in the 80's. How about Shooter's, Hotlanta or The Lookout?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 10:27 PM

3,380 posts, read 7,737,744 times
I started my 21st Birthday at the Lookout (drinking Kamikazes) before heading to Mitches and Barry's II. I was quite the regular at Barry's and friends with lots of the staff. Then I moved on to Five-O.

Never went to Hotlanta. Went to Shooters quite a few times.

Going back to the OP, pretty sure Hendrix played Dorton Arena, not the Civic Center.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:27 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,429,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
You remember when the bridge was at Lassiter Mill
The Hobby Shop at Cameron Village.
Hackney's at North Hills.
Moonlight Madness.
6th Grade Centers.
The old country store on Anderson Drive.
The shooting in 72 at North Hills.
The Deli King.
Charlie Gaddy.
Bob Debarteladen(sp?)
Bobby Batista
Bob Caudle
The pond at Lakemont
Millbrook High School was the country school
Rex Hospital was at St. Mary's and Wade
Sportman's Cove
The Flying Cloud
Roy Rogers
Villa Capri
The Breakfast House
Griffin's
Johnson's Pharmacy
The Millbrook Community
Swenson's
Raleigh Community Hospital
Mrs Sykes Rythym School
The underground
The Switch
Crazy Zach's
Edward's Grocery
Nantucket
Jaycee Park was the landfill
The Velvet Cloak was our nicest hotel
Pine State
Long Meadow Farms
The Flood of 1973

Raleigh Community Hospital - now "Duke Raleigh" -

Pine State - funny, just this weekend dh asked if I could please buy Pine State Milk vs. Food Lion Brand !! I started laughing and told him Pine State has been gone for awhile.. he didn't know !!

What about ACC Tavern on Hillsborough Street? Gotta love all that shagging music...

Old 02-24-2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Do y'all remember Barry's on Hillsborough Street?
Yes - memories of being an NCSU student in the mid 80s...

Old 02-24-2008, 10:31 PM

I really wish I still had my Barry's II "The Alternative Dance ." (The "." is "Spot") t-shirt.

Think I'll play be some Front 242 now

Old 02-24-2008, 10:34 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,045,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Do y'all remember Barry's on Hillsborough Street?
I sure do! I haven't thought about these places in years! My favorite was Mitch's Tavern. I haven't been there in a long time but think it still exists. It's the bar that was used in the filming of Bull Durham.

Do your remember Big Star Grocery stores? I used to shop in the one where the Rite Aid is now in Cameron Village. I was really bummed when Harris Teeter bought them out. For a short while after the acquistion, we lost our 24 hr. grocery store. But, in short order, Harris Teeter came around and took the best of Big Star and combined it with the best of Harris Teeter.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
I started my 21st Birthday at the Lookout (drinking Kamikazes) before heading to Mitches and Barry's II. I was quite the regular at Barry's and friends with lots of the staff. Then I moved on to Five-O.

Never went to Hotlanta. Went to Shooters quite a few times.

Going back to the OP, pretty sure Hendrix played Dorton Arena, not the Civic Center.
Mitches !!! That's it !! It is still there.. saw it last weekend. A few scenes from Bull Durham were filmed inside Mitches.

BTW - dd (not at the time) was taking a class at NCSU and the professor announced he had a special guest.. and who comes to class but Kevin Costner? DD didn't know who he was.. he called me that night and I didn't have a clue. Later, we decided it was during the filming of Bull Durham. Guess the pro knew him (dah).

Old 02-24-2008, 10:46 PM

My 2 Bull Durham memories are:

1) I was at some concert at the Dean Dome. Boston maybe? And after they invited people to come to the old DBAP to be in audience shots for some of the scenes. We were tired and didn't make it (side note, I really miss the old DBAP).

2) I remember walking home from studying in DH Hill Library to my place on Chamberlain (back behind Barry's) and there was a big Tractor Trailer truck parked right out front of Mitch's Tavern with all kinds of film gear. I guess they were filming the scenes that night.

Another memory I have of walking home from the library to my apartment was looking back over my shoulder one night as huge storm clouds were rolling by over the top of the library. Wind was whipping. I hurried home. Next day I found out it was tornadoes and took out the K-Mart at Pleasant Valley (among other stuff).

Old 02-25-2008, 01:51 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,045,088 times
Quote:
Another memory I have of walking home from the library to my apartment was looking back over my shoulder one night as huge storm clouds were rolling by over the top of the library. Wind was whipping. I hurried home. Next day I found out it was tornadoes and took out the K-Mart at Pleasant Valley (among other stuff).
Ah...the tornado! I was working really late that night at my first job after college. I was working over the weekend to get a project completed before Monday AM. In any case, I left the office near the corner of Leadmine and Sawmill (across from the shopping center) and drove home to my condo on Duraleigh. By the time I got to Crabtree, all hell had broken loose and I could barely see or drive. Leaves and small branches were flying everywhere. I was worried that I was going to wreck my car and my insurance would go up. In any case, I made it home safely and only found out later that I was driving toward the tornado origination area (Umstead Park) while the tornado was heading toward where I worked. I took a different route home that night for no particular reason and missed all the bad stuff on Millbrook Rd behind Glenwood. (I usually took Millbrook to Duraleigh) That night, I took Creedmoor across Glenwood to Duraleigh. I was really lucky! When I got home, I just stood outside in the rain for no reason at all. The night and the rain seemed really strange and I was mesmerized by it. It was also really, really warm rain that was more than odd on a late November night. After a while and after getting soaked, I went inside and went to bed.
My mother, who lives in N. Raleigh, called me a little while later and explained that a tornado had passed near where I lived and that she wanted to see if I was okay. The tornado had missed them by 2 houses in North Ridge. For those who weren't here, it skipped along its path destroying some places and sparing others. Its skip into their neighborhood was light and the damage was extensive to a few houses but not devestating like it was on Sawmill, Mourningside and the complexes on Ray Rd....not to mention the KMart on Glenwood!
In any case, I answered her with: "Oh, is that what I drove through tonight on my way home?!"

Old 02-25-2008, 01:53 PM

460 posts, read 1,271,529 times
Quote:
I really wish I still had my Barry's II "The Alternative Dance ." (The "." is "Spot") t-shirt.

Think I'll play be some Front 242 now
Wow...forgot about Barry's. I didn't grow up here (Rocky Mount) but wen to ECU and used to come to Raleigh for shows/tickets.

Some Headhunter, maybe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary