U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-06-2011, 12:24 AM

14,520 posts, read 9,703,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Hey, I can say the same thing about Julie We had kind of a brother-sister relationship (sometimes the best of buds, sometimes making voodoo dolls of each other) since at one point we were co-Asst Managers of the same store in Chapel Hill and you can imagine the friction in that setup. But we carpooled together whenever we worked the same shift. Later she came and worked for me at NH part-time after a couple of career changes.

Wow, that's when Mary H was the manager? Or Tim ? I was at the Chapel Hill store at that time (with Julie) but I'm sure I dropped by 532 all the time since I was living in Raleigh. I'm sure I would remember most of your co-workers. I had been acting manager of Crabtree over Christmas 1989 but refused to take it on as F-T manager because it was the highest-volume store in the area and I was still pretty new and didn't want to get in over my head. At one point or another, I worked in 6 different WBs in the Triangle.
Tim was the manager when I was there. I really liked Mary, though. She brought anise candy to work.

You and I are like ships that pass in the night, man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 06:49 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,310,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I loved North Hills Mall. I worked there for awhile in the late eighties/early nineties. Was an assistant manager for Record Bar.

Speaking of mall things, I really miss when Hector's used to be downstairs at Crabtree and was a full-sized restaurant. My mom used to take us there to eat every time we went to Crabtree to shop. Good times, good times.
hehe my old stomping grounds. lived on dartmouth and walked to work - worked at the frozen yogurt place after school and on weekends ( i cant believe its yogurt) hmmm in hmmm 93/94 ish?

Quote:
I remember when they were upstairs, but not in the food court.... they were downstairs?

Hmm...

I remember the Chick-fil-A at North Hills being downstairs over by JcPenney.

I loved that Chick-fil-A.
i think it remember it being upstairs, by pennys

Old 03-06-2011, 06:58 AM

2,530 posts, read 3,059,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest T Bass View Post
The Ham and Egger was on the corner. Of course, everyone loved going to Creekside Seafood behind Bonanza.
Watson's Drive Inn....with curb service operated many years in that building before the Ham and Egger. Old man Watson lived in the big colonial house on the hill behind the place. I remember when the city limit signs stood just a few yards north of Whitaker Mill Road on Wake Forest Rd. The thought of driving all the way out to Watson's Drive Inn....well that was just the falling off place

What I would give for a plate of Creekside fried seafood

Old 03-06-2011, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedonym View Post

Right...The original location was upstairs...next to Penny's. In a little spot beside the leather and luggage shop.....or was it in that spot

Old 03-06-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Right...The original location was upstairs...next to Penny's. In a little spot beside the leather and luggage shop.....or was it in that spot
globetrotter was the name of the luggage leather place. they were either next to eachother or a couple of storefronts away, but they were up there at the same time.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
globetrotter
Yes...the globetrotter....couldn't think of that name

Old 03-06-2011, 11:24 AM

8,177 posts, read 10,795,785 times
Quote:
Tim was the manager when I was there.
Ugh, I'm sorry. I was there when he started; in fact I am the REASON he started. Remember me saying I was Acting Manager but didn't want to take over the store permanently? So they hired Tim instead from Ohio. I was his Asst for a few months until I moved over to the brand-new Chapel Hill store with Julie, and although he depended on me to show him the ropes, I got to experience his "style" a few times, ugh. Pretty much every employee I had hired ended up quitting under him. He eventually got fired and Mary took over, and ran that store for a long time. I even came back when I was in grad school and worked for her during holidays a little bit. Yes, small world. If I had taken over that store like they wanted, you might have come work for me instead

I remember the Chic-Fil-A at North Hills being downstairs, though maybe it had been upstairs originally? I always ate at Scotty's or the K&W so I didn't pay so much attention to C-F-A. Loved the Globetrotter and I had applied to work for them one time. North Hills Mall really was my "stomping grounds" from childhood through about age 30, except when I was working in other malls. Suedonym, if you worked at the yogurt place in 93-94, that's when I was the manager at the bookstore at NH

Old 03-06-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Suedonym, if you worked at the yogurt place in 93-94, that's when I was the manager at the bookstore at NH
i was (and still am) a bookworm, so i guarantee we crossed paths LOL

Old 03-07-2011, 04:19 PM

14,520 posts, read 9,703,489 times
Quote:
hehe my old stomping grounds. lived on dartmouth and walked to work - worked at the frozen yogurt place after school and on weekends ( i cant believe its yogurt) hmmm in hmmm 93/94 ish?

Maybe they moved it after I quit working at North Hills. I'm sure it was downstairs in the eighties.

The one at Crabtree was upstairs in the eighties, however. Near Sears.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:27 PM

821 posts, read 1,039,390 times
Is Spencer Gifts still around?

Didn't North Hills have a Woolworth's lunch counter? I apologize if this has already been discussed...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary